The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ben Brogdon
Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 4:46 pm    

I am so sorry to report that my buddy, Ben Brogdon passed away between 1:00-7:00 a.m. this morning in his sleep. Ben was only 64 years old. I will post more info later as his wife is staying in touch with me concerning the arrangements. I do know at this point, there will be a service here in Sevierville and he will be buried at his home in Blytheville, AR. Again, I will post more info later, but I must say that Ben and I have been good friends for 35 years and he was one of the best musicians and bass players I have ever known and had the privilege to work with. I will post more later about his musical career and background.

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 4:50 pm    

This is such sad news. Ben has been a good friend of mine and many steel players throughout the years. He was the staff bassist not only at Scotty's ISGC show, but also at our Arizona SWSGA show. Ben already had his ticket to Arizona for this coming Wednesday and we had made plans for dinner on Wednesday. But God has other plans for him and all of us. This is a shock; but as with others, we know that Ben is in a better place. May God grant him a peaceful rest and watch over us whom he leaves behind. God Bless you, Ben Brogdon!

Billy Easton
SWSGA
Las Vegas, NV

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 5:05 pm    

This is sad,I was so looking forward to playing some with Ben in Arizona this week. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 5:29 pm    

Oh no! Not Ben! Don't take Ben! I am struck dumb by this awful news. I just can't believe it. We had been emailing back and forth all week, getting ready for the SWSGA show this coming weekend. I can't imagine what took him down; he wasn't ill as far as I knew. Some sudden cardiac thing? Ben was a trip; hilarious and a heckuva bass player. I will really miss his friendship and musicianship. Sht.

Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 5:39 pm    

OMG. I can't believe this. He was one of the first guys I worked with when I started in this business. He was always such a hoot... Sad

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/

Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 5:41 pm    

Paducah,Kentucky,USA Posted 18 Jan 2009 5:37 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is with heavey heart I make this post.Mr Ben has been a dear friend for over forty years. I have been on many bandstands with him, and always enjoyed his music, and his sense of humor.I visited with him many times in his home,and was fussed at many times for not coming more often.
I, along with many of you will miss him so much.My condolences to Jayne and the family.I ask our Dear Maker to hold each of them in His loving hands, and console their aching hearts, and bring to each of them comfort, and peace.
Rest in peace dear friend.
RP...'come on in'...

Stoney Stonecipher

Knoxville, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 5:53 pm    

We've hardly had time to get over the shock of losing a great musician and friend when we lost Walter Haynes, and now so quickly we have such bad news about our good friend and co-worker, both at Dollywood and at ISGC in St. Louis. Very few had a better humor and absolutely none a better talent than our good friend Ben Brogdon. He will be sorely missed. RIP Ben.

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 6:01 pm    

I am schocked. I last saw Ben at John Hughey's funeral.I met Ben in Hot Springs, Ark. around 1973-74. I was with Jim Ed Brown. We were playing a dinner theatre at the Holiday Inn for a week. Ben was working with a top 40 band in the lounge. His band was based out of Little Rock. When the club closed around 2 am we would jam until the sun came up. I think Ben moved to Nashville around 1976, the same year I got off the road. He tried very hard to get me to come to work with Dottie West. He had just gone to work with her the same year. I will miss him and his playing very much.

Ron Elliott

Madison, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 6:30 pm     Ben

I am so sorry to learn of Ben's Passing. Bobby Caldwell called me upon learning of the very sad news. We all will miss Ben, his playing, his humor and wit....a wonderful person and a super talent.
Rest High on the Mountain Ben.
Ron & Leslie

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 7:21 pm    

I am in such shock that my heart is racing and my hands are shaking. I was looking so forward to seeing Ben this weekend in Phoenix. Ironically, this morning my dad and I were speaking on the phone and somehow the conversation turned to what a great player and nice guy Ben was. Rest in peace my friend. We offer our sympathy to his wife and family members.

William Goad

New Castle, Delaware, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 7:43 pm    

Iam in Shock. Craig Baker called me this evening with the news.Ben was a wonderful musician and a funny guy.He will be missed by many. My condolences to his wife and family. May the
Great One bless all the family and friends.

Bill Goad

Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 8:18 pm     Ben Brogdon

I just have to add some more about Ben, as I could write a book about all he has done and our friendship over the years. He and I first met in 1974 when he came to work in Donna Fargo's band. We instantly hit it off. By the way, Ben was recommended for the job by Paul Franklin. Ben and I remained friends all these years and he has played on 4 of my albums as well as a DVD that is now showing on YouTube. Ben and I worked many steel guitar shows over the years and travelled and roomed together on many of them. The first time he played the convention in St. Louis was with Thumbs Carlille and myself in 1985. After he left Donna Fargo, he worked with Dottie West, Barbara Mandrell, Roger Whitaker, Stonewall Jackson, Jeannie Pruitt, Stoney Mtn. Cloggers, and many others. He also worked in a top broadway play for two years in NY. He recorded steel guitar albums with Paul Franklin and Mike Smith. He did a great western swing album with a group that featured Doug Jernigan. Ben and I had just talked about 2 hours a couple of weeks ago and he was planning on going to several steel guitar shows with me during the next couple of months. I will write more later and I will also post the arrangements when I hear back from his wife Jane.
I can't express how much he meant to me and how he will be missed, I know God had a reason for calling him at this young age.

Herby Wallace

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 9:49 pm    

Oh my goodness - this is just unbelievable news. Jim Cohen and Ben had breakfast with us while we were at Scotty's in September. I even mentioned to Tommy that it was one of the most delightful and fun times I had that weekend.

Ben was a rare breed - intelligent, witty, talented, and also quite the gentleman. He touched the many people who called him friend, and has left a special mark on this world.

Our prayers go out to his family and friends at this very sad time.

Rest in peace, Ben. We will miss you.

Tommy and Donna
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Bryan Adams

Mountain City, Tennessee, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 10:43 pm    

My heart goes out to Ben's family...I was really shocked when Sweeney called me tonight with the news, I've been friends with Ben for almost 40 years...got a lot road stories with Ben...he will be missed by all who knew him...BA

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 11:07 pm    

I really don't know what to say. Just another of the great ones gone. Ben will be sorely missed by all who knew him. May GOD bless, comfort, and keep his family always.Jody.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 12:19 am    

Herby, I'll never forget you bringing Ben to Saluda. Rolling in the floor at his jokes, and loving his bass playing. What a guy! We'll miss him, for sure.
May God embrace and comfort Ben's family.

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 1:34 am    

This can't be true. Not Ben, one of the nicest guys I have ever met. What a great musician and stage person he was. This is so sad...

My condolences and prayers go out to his family.

Kind Regards, Walter

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 4:31 am    

My prayers our with Ben's family, very sad news....

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 5:06 am    

I'm Stunned!

RIP Mr. Bassman.

Sad

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 5:07 am    

I got the call about this yesterday from Roy Rosetta, while he is traveling to Phoenix.

This put me into absolute shock.

Ben was one of the coolest people I know. Always had a joke, gave me a hard time doing sound (which I loved) and a better bass player there is not.

Linda and I will miss Ben and his humorous emails.

Bill & Linda Ferguson

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 5:13 am    

So sorry to hear of this, Ben was unique in many ways. We'll all miss Ben.

Rick Troyer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 5:29 am    

What a shocker !
So sorry to hear of the passing of Ben . He was a great bass player and even better human being .
We had the pleasure of having Ben do several of our shows in New Phila Ohio. Of course he did a great job on everything thrown at him . Even when one of the artists went Hawiian on him he calmly pulled out his folder of Hawiian charts and did his usual fantastic job . Always prepared . And always kept the band at ease with his constant humor .
We will indeed miss him . I can only imagine.....RT

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 5:30 am    

Condolences to the family.

I only knew Ben from Steel Shows, but I was always impressed with his bass picking. He was always "there".

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 5:42 am    

Thanks to my friend Paul Polish for calling me and letting me know about Ben. This is very sad news. He was a great person as well as a great player..he will be missed!

JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 6:39 am    

Ben was a great bass player, but also knew how to make you laugh. We will miss him

Jerry