The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  R.i.p. Jon Hager
Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2009 11:05 am    

'Hee-Haw' comedy duo member Jon Hager dead at 67
By JOHN GEROME – 16 hours ago

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Jon Hager, who performed in the musical comedy duo The Hager Twins on "Hee-Haw," has died. He was 67.

Sam Lovullo, who produced "Hee-Haw" and was a friend of Hager's, said Hager was found dead in his apartment in Nashville Friday morning. He was found in bed and apparently died in his sleep.

Lovullo said Hager had been in poor health and was depressed since his identical twin brother, Jim Hager, died in May 2008.

The twins were in the original cast of the syndicated TV show, which debuted in 1969 satirizing country life with a mixture of music and comedy. Both were guitarists and drummers.

The Hagers had worked with country star Buck Owens and joined "Hee Haw" when Owens signed as the show's co-host with Roy Clark.

Lovullo said they were originally hired for their musical talent, but as the show went on they incorporated more comedy into their act.

"They had a fun personality," Lovullo said. "They were also the answer to the Hee-Haw Honeys. We were always looking for the other side of the gender — for good looking hunks. They fit the bill very nicely."

The Hagers left the program in the mid-80s and continued to perform together.

The twins were born in the Chicago area and lived in Los Angeles before "Hee Haw." They said in 1998 that they had been together all their lives except for three and a half years, after Jon left Los Angles and moved to Nashville. Jim remained on the West Coast, but eventually followed.

"They were always contributing their talents to whatever was needed, not for money but just so they could help out. They did a lot of fund raisers and were supportive of young people who were ill," Lovullo said.

Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2009 12:18 pm    

Gary,
Email me your phone # at bobbybow@swbell.net or call me at 281-856-9453.
Thanks,
BB
Sorry to hear about Jon. Played a few shows with them way back.

Chuck Cusimano

Weatherford, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2009 10:29 am    

Sorry to hear this news. I had the pleasure to work with them in Reno Nv. back in 1980 for two nights in a row, and when I first found out about it, I wasn't very excited about it, but by the time we had met them in the dressing room, I sure enjoyed them. They had such a good time on stage, and our whole band just loved them. I couldn't tell them apart, but they both had a great sence of humor. They came out on stage, and one of them was talking to the audience, and the other one fixed the others collar on his shirt, and looked at me and said,"That's why there's two of us". I believe they made a reference that night, to the fact they had been adopted and said some encouraging words to the audience about adopting. Well, They're in a better place now, and once again, they're a team.