The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thompson Pedal Steel
Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 5:02 am    

Please only post on the guitar in this thread. This is for info on the guitar only.
I have begun to restore the Thompson pedal steel and need to know if anyone has any info on the builder, location ,or anything else about them. I have never heard of one before. It has some things I have never seen on a guitar of its age. I am guessing late 60's era.( I have been corrected and several believe mid to late 70's )
It looks to me to have been modified at one time as I think the current changer is not the original. I can't swear to this but that is how it looks to me.
As for the mechanics they are solid and should give no prblems. Has solid stops and the first thing I noticed is the ball on both ends of the pedal rods.
I know the new MSA's do something close but I have never seen it on a guitar this old.
The guitar has seen a lot of smoke in its time and that was the first thing I started to fix.
The body is Maple and I am going to just use clear on it.I will be adding pics from time to time to show the progress.
Here is the underside when owned by Chris

Here is the body

Last edited by Scott Howard on 11 Dec 2008 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 6:08 am    

After a soak in a gallon of carb cleaner I sprayed the parts with brake cleaner. I used a old welding rod tin for the long parts doing half and then flipped them over for the other end. The whole thing is as ceal as the bellcranck but with my cheap camera I can't get a good picture.

I bought a different type clip for the bell crancks.

I started on the body also.

here is the emblem that was on it.

here are the pedals

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 7:57 am    

Interesting guitar! Not late '60's though. More like late '70's. Lucite neck? I thought that "Little Buddy" was an Emmons name.

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 8:42 am    

Scott, you're doing a great job on my/Fred's old guitar! I'm so glad it ended up in your hands. Unfortunately, my friend Fred was a smoker, so the undercarriage did suffer from that. It is admirable that you have decided to commit yourself to bringing this guitar back around. I already can't believe the difference in the undercarriage parts. I am really looking forward to seeing it completed. Then I'll have to resist the urge to offer you big bucks to buy it back! Smile Seriously, though, I am glad it's in your hands, whichever way it got there.

Just a note on the age. I believe it is mid 70s because of the two-hole puller Sho~Bud style undercarriage. No one was using this type of puller in the late 60s, I don't believe. Same with the double-double changer. Just conjecture, though.

Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 9:27 am    

Not sure how original the guitar is, I believe thats a GFI fret board.

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2008 10:35 am    

Yes it has a GFI fretboard and it looks like a Emmons keyhead. The neck has a couple of extra holes under it. It also is a 2 peice neck and I think it may have been changed when or if the changer was changed. The changer looks like MSA with different pillar blocks.
I started removing the felt and bought some Jasco adhesive remover and it is working great. Brush it on ,wait 5-10min. and peel the felt up.

Going by the local Hobby Lobby tomorrow and give the daughter some clothes for the grandbaby. While I am there I will get the new material for the bottom.

Jack Klein

Alpena, MI, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2008 10:46 am     little buddy

I had a LITTLE BUDDY that was built by FREEMAN COWGAR and CHUCK THOMPSON in HILLMAN MI. it was an entry level with 1 knee 3 floor and volume on a pedal. maybe the pro was a step up. Jack

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2008 11:42 am    

Thanks for the info Jack.

After about a hour and a half is is clean of the old felt. I plan on lightly sanding before applying the new felt.

Jack Klein

Alpena, MI, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2008 2:22 pm     steel

hi, Scott,Chuck Thompson and Freeman parted company and Freeman went on to build the COUGAR which you may have heard of. built in FAIRVIEW, MI. he has since passed away. Jack

Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2008 12:40 pm    

Scott, it looks like you're doing a great job on getting her back in shape.

Congratulations.
Amazing huh!! Smile

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2008 3:34 pm    

Thanks Don.
I worked on the trial fit up the other day. I am waiting on some new parts ( nylon washers for the changer ) and then I am going to start rodding. That will be a slow process because I am going to make all new ones and I hate threading the rods.

I put all the cross rods back in and added various pulls to them. Planning on 5 pedals and possibly making knee levers out of the others later on. It will have 4 knees when it goes back together. I have to make 2 levers that match the 2 that came on it.

Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2008 4:10 pm    

Scott, she's really looking great. Isn't it funny how fast a person who knows what they're doing, can get things done.

Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Don

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2008 4:31 pm    

for something with what looks like miscellaneous parts donors, this looks like a real nice solid guitar!

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2008 12:34 pm    

I messed the inlay up getting a bad spot sanded out. I now have it fixed and have started clearing the body.

The new inlay from Constantine's . Matches pretty close.

I still have a extra one for the neck . Glad I ordered 2

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 6:07 pm    

Not sure if I am going to put a couple more coats on it or not. I was able to put a few more coats on today. With the rain and cold it is hard to find a time when I am home and the weather is O.K.

I ordered some aluminum for the pickup pocket and going to start machining it . I got the fretboard this week and the pickup should be here anyday.

Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 6:29 pm    

she is lookin good my friend all it takes is time and a little work

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 8:30 pm    

Fabulous, Scott. Can't wait to see the finished product. It will be even better than new, no doubt!

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2009 5:09 am    

I have been cleaning and polishing on the keyhead. I replaced several tunning keys that got bent and broke in shipping. Cleaned and polished the others. I also bought a piece of aluminum for the pickup pocket. Hope to start work on it next.

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2009 4:10 am    

I made a couple of knee levers yesterday. I started by drilling a hole. I then used a 3/8 broach and pressed it through the hole to cut it into a square hole. 2 cuts with the band saw and all is left is to drill the mounting hole and polish.

Last edited by Scott Howard on 10 Jan 2009 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2009 12:33 pm    

I have one endplate polished. My cheap camera doesn't do it justice. I am getting a bunch of pictures on this thread so I am going to start a part 2 next time I post.