The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  4th string problem
Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2008 1:17 pm    

My 4th string on the E9th neck is having issues. When I raise it to an F and then release the knee lever, it makes the open string out of tune, but when I lower it to an Eb and release it back to an E, it is back in tune. It also does it when you raise it to an F# with the 3rd pedal. Can someone PLEASE help me and possibly give me a solution. It would be greatly appreciated!! Merry Christmas.

_Austin Tripp

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2008 2:16 pm    

Lubricate the roller nut

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2008 2:59 pm    

And everything that moves.Also check for anything binding/ rubbing underside, rods,etc.

Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2008 3:08 pm    

Thanks so much guys. I have to change the strings tonight anyway so I will give it a good oil'n and cleaning and also I will check underneath and make sure nothing is binding or catching. Also would a small drop of 3 in 1 oil be safe to use? That is the only kind of oil I have. But thanks for the tips.

Merry Christmas

Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2008 3:57 pm    

is this a all pull? or push/pull? have you done any adjustments before you notice this problem (pedal adjustments ect!!)? if you tried to adjust your foot pedal put it back where it was if you did not do this take all nylon tuning nuts back them out where you know they are not against the changer then start the tuning over by tuning your open string first of course. if its a push/ pull then its a little more work to find the problem.

Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2008 4:14 pm    

Hey Joseph, It is an all pull. But the only thing else I believe it could be (besides lubrication) is that I started using a heavier gauge strings but not much heavier than a standard set. No adjustments have been made. So therefore I believe that it could be the roller nut needing lube. thanks for the info though, I will keep it in mind when I make adjustments one day (if I need too)

Austin Tripp

Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2008 4:16 pm    

good luck these things can be a pain. joe

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2008 5:27 pm    

Austin, I would be almost certain your 4th string lower return spring is not tight enough to defeat the tension of the 4th string. I would tighten it two or three turns if it has adjustment screw or remove a spring coil if no adjustment is present. When you pull the string the lowering finger might be pulling away from the stop and not returning when released. I suggest you turn the guitar upside down and slowly engage the C pedal (raise E to F#) and watch to see if the finger that the spring is attached to pulls away from the stop. It should remain tight against the stop when you raise the string. If it pulls away then the spring needs to be tighter. After you tighten the spring be sure and back the tuning nuts off some because they are probably run in too far because the "drifting" finger will mess up the tuning and cause you to overtune the changer.
Jerry
Email me if you need some help. rollermusic@cox.net
Jerry

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2008 5:40 pm    

Austin, Raise it with the F lever, let off then take your finger and pull on the string and see if it come's back. It sounds like the changer needs a good cleaning and oiling.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2008 9:35 pm    

Austin, your guitar has lower return compensators. Tune the 4th string open, then the F# note. Then the F. Then the Eb.Now you release the Eb knee.Now press your C pedal and release it. Be sure your E note is at proper pitch.Once again engage the Eb knee. Tune it if need be. Then release the knee.If the string returns sharp? Screw in on your lower return comp. If it returns flat. Back off the lower return comp.

Always check for drag at the roller nut when you change strings.If you do lube? Be careful to wipe up the excess. It only deadens strings and attracts dust.

Same goes for the changer.If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me......bb[/quote]

Last edited by Bobby Boggs on 17 Dec 2008 9:54 am; edited 3 times in total

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2008 9:48 pm    

Austin, since you're kinda new to this. It's maybe best to back off or remove the tension on the 4th string lower return comp. Then tune as I suggested.

However,If the E note still returns sharp after being raised?? Then you are either over tuning the F# pull.(Test) for that. Or as Jerry suggested. The return spring is too loose.

For those reading. I usually stay out of these tuning questions. Everyone has their on ideas and fixes. And many are good.But this was one of my personal guitars.And it seems Austin has forgotten about the lower return compensator.So I jumped in. Smile ........bb

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2008 7:04 am    

Bobby,
I have the utmost of respect for your abilities and knowledge but must correct something you said above.
Quote:
Also, keep in mind it takes more changer throw to pull a 15 than a 14

That's just not true. An unwound sixth string is the one that takes the least throw -- otherwise PF wouldn't be able to raise it to E or lower it to B as he has been known to do.

The amount of throw needed to raise a string a given musical interval is INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL to the DIAMETER of an unwound string or the core of a wound one. The BIGGER the string the LESS throw it takes to move it a half tone, for example. Going from a 014 to an 015 would require less throw to raise to F or lower to D#.

For what it's worth.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2008 9:51 am    

Larry Bell is of course correct. Forgive my late nite ramblings. No one hates to see false information printed on the Forum more than me. And here I go contributing to the cause. Embarassed Please forgive me.

So Austin, it's either the lower return comp needs adjusting. Or the spring Jerry Roller mentioned needs tighting. It's most likely the lower return comp. But springs can get weaker with age.

I'll edit my orignal post as not to confuse anyone. Like anyone reads my post? Rolling Eyes

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2008 11:24 am    

Quote:
Like anyone reads my post

I do -- and figured, like I do sometimes, you probably just misspoke.

You're a class act, Bobby.

Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2008 5:30 pm    

Hey everyone, It just needed lube'n. Bobby, I will keep in mind what you are talking about. I have not even touched the compensators since I got the guitar from you. I guess I should pay more attention to my guitar, instead of my music! Thanks to all who helped me.

_Austin Tripp