The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning Nut Problem - newbie question
Marke Burgstahler

SF Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2008 9:08 am    

Hi all,

I was doing some fine tuning adjustments with the nylon tuning nut on my pull rod for the 5th string, and I heard a little "click" - now the first pedal no longer raises my 5th string. Oddly, the third pedal still raises the 5th string to the C#, and the LKV still drops it a half step.

I looked under the guitar, and when I press the first pedal I can see the entire length of the pull rod move, but the pull rod for the first pedal has no effect on the pitch of the 5th string - i.e., the changer doesn't move. However, the 3rd pedal and the LKV still work on the 5th string, and I can see the changer mechanism move.

I'm a little "wet behind the ears" here, but could the nylon tuning nut have come off of the end of the pull rod for the first pedal?

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2008 9:22 am    

It should be obvious if the nylon nut fell off. You will see the threaded end poking out where all the other nylon nuts extend through the changer.

It's more likely that the setscrew or whatever attachment secures the pull rod to the bellcrank has slipped. You didn't mention which brand, but look at the 10th string pull and watch how the linkage from the bellcrank, through the rod, to the changer makes the changer move. Now look at the 5th. Is the rod actually moving? If not, it needs to be secured to the bellcrank -- either a setscrew or a clip or a crook in the rod through a slot in the bellcrank. The linkage depends on the brand.

Marke Burgstahler

SF Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2008 9:49 am    

Larry Bell wrote:
It should be obvious if the nylon nut fell off. You will see the threaded end poking out where all the other nylon nuts extend through the changer.

It's more likely that the setscrew or whatever attachment secures the pull rod to the bellcrank has slipped. You didn't mention which brand, but look at the 10th string pull and watch how the linkage from the bellcrank, through the rod, to the changer makes the changer move. Now look at the 5th. Is the rod actually moving? If not, it needs to be secured to the bellcrank -- either a setscrew or a clip or a crook in the rod through a slot in the bellcrank. The linkage depends on the brand.

Thanks Larry - it's a Carter S10. I can't seem to see what's going on or get to it because it's all under the springs.

Sounds like it's something easily fixed, tho. I was afraid something was broken.

I'm learning more and more about this thing...what a great forum. Thanks for the speedy reply.

Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2008 10:33 am    

Mark, leave the Pedal Board & Pedals on it, and put it in the case, that way, you'll be able to see the complete undercarriage. Or, simply turn it upside down, on a folded bath towel. That way, you can also work your knee levers, pedals, etc.

Either way, you'll be able to see what's taking place. They aren't all that complicated, so you should be able to see what's happening or what's not happening, as it now stands.

You can also go on the Carter website, and look up just about anything and how it works that you need to see.

Hope that helps,
Don

Marke Burgstahler

SF Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2008 10:50 am    

UPDATE

Thanks for the replies, guys. I could see the pull rod moving, but I guess the set screw on the bell crank was tight enough to move the pull rod, but not tight enough to actually pull the changer.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2008 6:20 am    

Sounds like the nylon nut either stripped, or split, so it's not gripping the pull rod threads. Check it...you may need a new nut.