The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emci Mci
Eddie Juke

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2008 12:15 pm    

Do any of you fellow players have the history and knowledge of EMCI & MCI guitars, where they were made, who was really involved, who made them, how many were made, where those people are now and what are they doing, I have read some information but none really conclusive and would welcome all information, looking forward to your replies
Eddie

Brick Spieth

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2008 12:32 pm    

Do a Google search of this forum and you will get a lot of info. The short version is that structurally Mci guitars come in welded frame(later) and non welded frame designs. Both are good guitars. While not absolutely sure when the change was made, I've always associated Waco manufactured guitars with the non welded frame and Arlington with the welded.

Gene Fields, currently the owner of GFI, worked at Mci, as did Bud Carter for a short while.

Mci became Emci when Mr Emmons became part of the picture. During this time the E66 pickup was designed and used. I've seen this, Lawrence, and Barcus-Berry Pus used in these guitars.

A lot more info in the archives.

Brick Spieth

Post  Posted 14 Dec 2008 12:35 pm    

Sorry, I didn't notice the UK address. That is Waco and Arlington, Texas, USA. They were made in the 80s. Mine is one of the later guitars. It has the later logo.

Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2008 1:08 pm    

I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that Buddy Emmons credited the change from MCI to EMCI not so much as a way to include his name, as it was to pronounce the sound em-c-i and not infrindge on the name MCI (used by another company).

Great guitars!
I have a beloved aluminum frame model (also known as "RangeXpander"?). It plays great and sounds so good with BL705's. Along with my Emmons Bolt-On this is a real keeper guitar. They will accommodate just about any setup, they play and sound great, they hold pitch and are light and easy to deal with. I've had a few really nice "all pull" modern guitars and have passed them on except for the EMCI. The contemporary pro all-pull guitars are great, but except for individual details I just don't see them having that great on edge on the EMCI. They really got it right with that guitar. Smile

Cheers,
Cliff

Eddie Juke

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2008 10:58 am     Emci Mci

Thanks to Brick and Cliff
C'mon people I'm sure there is a lot more information than this, I hope they are reading this but I'm sure Mr Carter and Mr Fields could add a lot more to this and others who worked at the factory could have their input, I'm a fan please help
Eddie

Marlin Smoot

Kansas
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2008 3:12 pm     Mci

I remember seeing one of the first MCI guitars at Bob Woods Del City Music store (Oklahoma City) back in the 1980's and Bud Carter was involved and showing the guitar - it was cool because it was around 38 pounds in the case. As I understand it, the May's Brothers in Texas had some ownership as their dad had something to do with the company.
I don't know if they still have any rights to the MCI brand or not. A great sounding guitar and real light too...

Peter Nylund

Finland
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2008 12:11 am    

This one I bought in 1988 ?? from a fo-bro now living in Norway. Soundclips on my MySpace site. http://www.myspace.com/peternylund

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 16 Dec 2008 5:30 am    

I believe Gary Carpenter told me that he himself had built alot of the EMCI's when they were in production. Dont know who built the MCI's.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2008 6:26 am    

Eddie, speak to Gerry Hogan, Gerry played one for some years, a light blue one if I remember, and Sarah had two white EMCI guitars .Malcolm

John Fabian

Mesquite, Texas USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2008 8:49 am    

Bud Carter designed and built MCI's. First in Waco, TX and then in Arlington. He left the company before it became EMCI and before they started using welded frames at which time Gene Fields and others became involved.

The MCI logos like the one shown above, also had the words "by Carter" on them. Bud's name was removed later (I think by cutting it off before application).

Ga McDonnell

N GA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2008 9:53 am    

These guitars have been discussed many times before.
Here's a link where just about all aspects came up. There's a lot of information from Bobbe Seymour. Even comments from Buddy Emmons.

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/003032.html

Nevertheless, despite being hailed and praised by everybody who's played or built them, they always seem to sell at a ridiculous discount from their real value.

Eddie Juke

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2008 12:19 pm     Emci Mci

Many thanks to all of you that have replied, your information is helpful. I thought I would add just some more information and maybe someone might recognize my guitars if they do let me know.

My EMCI is a Black D10 that started life as a 8x4 and now is 8x5 it has the all welded frame its serial # NL1060, it has the following information
EMCI made by Intertek International Inc. Arlington Texas, it has Barcus Berry pickups.

My MCI is a Black front red top D10 it has the wooden apron front, it started life as a 8x5 now 8x6 its serial # 128469, it has BL705 pickups, right opposite where you would connect the 7th pedal it has the name Jim carved in the black felt, on the wooden apron it has the letters BE in blue ink, I know the previous owner was Bob Knight,

Anyone out there remember them? I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Eddie

Brick Spieth

Post  Posted 20 Dec 2008 12:39 pm    

Here is my EMCI. Barcus Barry PU. I'm curious as to when they went to this style logo. The guitar is way better than my ability to play it. That's for sure.