The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  John Dieckman - RIP
Mark S. Miller

Depew, NY, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2008 6:11 pm    

I am sorry to inform every one that John "Mudbone" Dieckman (Buffalo, NY) died this afternoon of a heart attack while moving into his new apartment. This is a shock!!! John was a member of the Buffalo Music Hall of Fame and his extraordinary talent touched hundreds, maybe even thousands, of musicians in the Western New York area. This is a very sad day for all family, friends and musicians that knew John.

John's memory will live on forever as I know his talent and friendship can never be replaced. My deepest condolences to his family and friends. Love you John!

-Mark

Kurt Kowalski

Kendall, NY USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2008 4:46 am    

I received this call from Mark this afternoon as well. I am also deeply saddened that we have lost another great talent.

Not only was John a talented steel guitarist, but also on many other instruments.

Mark, I know you and John were close and I feel your pain.

I pray for comfort and peace to Johns friends, family and band mates at this time.

Rest in peace "Mudbone", your memory will live on.

Kurt

Russ Hicks

Pegram, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2008 3:13 pm    

Fred Amendola just called with this devastating news...Fred has been experiencing some heart problems and had surgury last week, only to come home and be hit with this news about one of his, our, best friends. John (Gabe) was highly thought of by a bunch of the pro players, including Jimmy Crawford. We,I,nicknamed him Gabe because of his resemblence to Gabe Kotter of 'Welcome Back'. This is terrible news...John will be sorely missed and I hope this will serve as a reminder of how precious friendships are. Let's love each other while we can, tomorrow may be another story, like this one.

Fred Amendola

Lancaster, Pa.
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2008 6:34 pm    

This was such terrible news that I received over the weekend. It's taken a while to process it.

I've been close with John since the early 70's and we always bounced ideas off of each other. We basically learned steel together, sought out the pro's like Russ and Jimmy together and had a ball doing it. I hated having to call Russ this evening to share such sad news.

John's sister Joanne called me this morning as she began the chore of going thru John's address book to get in touch with friends, especially those that are out of town. This will be a major task. I appreciated making contact with Joanne after all these years, and we reminisced about John and I and the Pistols playing for her wedding in '75.

Russ is so right about precious friendships.

Condolences and prayers to all of John's family and friends.

I miss Gabe already.
Thank You for your Friendship and rest in peace John.

Fred

Mark Treepaz

Hamburg, New York USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2008 10:14 am    

Being from the area, I wish that I would've had the opportunity to get to know John better. However, I certainly knew of his skills, talent and character. He most certainly will be missed by his family, fellow musicians and fans of the various groups that he had performed with. R.I.P.

( Mark (Miller), I've sent a PM and email to you. )