The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WTB Tele
Steve Morley

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2008 7:49 pm    

Not looking for a collector's instrument, just something playable with twang and thunk. I would prefer a stock instrument, but artfully done improvements, such as compensated brass bridge pieces (3), would be appreciated. I've seen the nice axes over on www.tdpri.com such as the G&L's and the Fenders, but I don't feel as comfortable over there as I do here.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, about what to avoid, or look for. I've been a Gibson player all my life, and I'm missing something!

Thanks,

Steve

Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2008 8:54 pm    

Hello Steve, I have a beautiful G&L Asat Classic, if interested I can send pics. Asking $750. plus shipping.It's tobacco sunburst with a white pearl pickguard, and a maple neck. It is in pristine condition, I just need to thin the herd. Thanks, Eddie Thomas

Michael Pierce

Madison, CT
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2008 5:04 am    

Steve, as another option (if you don't mind a MIM telecaster, and not sure where in Connecticut you're located), there's a nice looking MIM mid-90's telecaster listed yesterday in the Hartford Craigslist (East Hartford).

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2008 10:42 am    

Steve, I have one you might like but I'd have to have at least a grand for it (shipped). It started out life as a Fender Highway One Telecaster but it's been heavily modified as follows......

Warmouth maple neck with Fender telecaster decal. This neck is the big one which helps with a better tone. It's also got Kluson tuners and the action is about as low as you can go and there are no buzzes...

Bridge pickup is a Seymore Duncan "Hot Rails" narrow humbucker which is hooked to a mini switch between the volume and tone controls. It has the normal position (up), coil tap (middle), and "both coils in series" (down). I don't know why but both coils in series has a brighter sound than the tapped position...

Neck pickup is a Seymore Duncan "Quarter Pounder" single coil which is warmer and hotter that a standard Tele pickup. If you're a Gibson man you'll like this one, great ballad, pop, or jazz tone.

Joe Barden bridge unit (intonatable) with three brass pieces.....

Pearl white pickguard, also the bridge plate is reversed with the volume knob in front.

Last but not least, it has a Parsons/Green B-Bender unit (the one HipShot sells) which was installed by Brian Friend in southern California.

I'll try to post a picture of it after the weekend when I can find my digital camera!....JH in Va.

Steve Morley

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2008 2:43 pm     Thanks for all the help, guys. Tele found, please close.

I did buy the '92 MIM that Michael pointed out - lightly used by a player, and in decent shape. I went to look expecting a neck disaster, and the neck is a lot better than I thought. I will probably be replacing the bridge saddles, and maybe the bridge pick-up, but for now, the only thing it needs is a slight fret crown, a new volume pot and a cleaning. It will be a player!

Eddie and Jerry, if I had even a glimpse of major trouble with this MIM, I was headed toward either of your fine instruments. Thank-you for the offer. After I cut my Tele teeth (I always thought I'd be buried with a Gibson!) on this guitar, I will be looking to upgrade, and I hope we can talk then.

Michael, thanks for the heads up; the man who sold the guitar had been playing out (Country) until recently, and knows most of the good old bands we appreciate here in CT, like Stone Canyon, etc.

Once again, this forum has been well worth the price of admission; I will be making a donation to b0b.

Please close.

Michael Pierce

Madison, CT
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2008 3:04 pm    

I'm glad this worked out, Steve. Enjoy Smile