The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New flight case for my trip to India
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2008 11:26 am    

Any of the UK steel players need a flight case?
As I am going to India for a few months I decided to have a flight case made to protect my Sierra Uni 12.
A friend of mine has been making cases for the past 20 years, he makes them for top bands in the UK and Ireland.
I went to see Richard Chubb on Tuesday and asked if he could make one by this Friday, he agreed to do this and asked if I could bring my guitar over for a fitting
He took a lot of measurements from the guitar and said to being it back in two day time for a final fitting, after doing a few adjustments he said that I could pick it up today Friday, he also fitted some new type wheels called Outriders..
The build quality is some of the best I have seen. so my guitar should be pretty safe on the flight..
I put up some photos for anyone to look at..
I will be doing some internal mods to the case when I get to India as I don't have the time to do it here in the UK..

link to R J Flytes.
http://www.rjflytes.co.uk/ggl/index.htm
link to photos
http://community.webshots.com/album/569093603sOOEbl

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2008 12:44 pm    

sorry last link to photos not working , let me know if this one works ...John

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2008 6:24 am    

Well I now have the flight case packed and ready for the trip. I got most of my bits , bar, picks, VP, reverb delay ,strings, power units, leads, to fit inside the case.
weight 34 Kg = 74.8lbs.
the cost to Goa from the UK £75 = $109.960...very reasonable...

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2008 6:23 pm    

Enjoy your stay in India, John. Maybe you can jam with some sitar musicians, steve t

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 4:23 am    

Thanks Steve, my playing sounds like a sitar ,LOL

Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 8:03 am    

John, It's good to have good strong cases.

While on a tour, I witnessed our equipment being thrown onto (and falling off) the loading ramps.

After about 10 minutes of watching our equipment getting abused, I pulled out my camera and videotaped the last 10% of the equipment being loaded on the ramps. If you check my video link, you can see the careless activity of the baggage handlers. This was filmed in Honolulu. We were just taking short flight to Kawai. Watch the two handlers that are farthest from the camera too.

It cost us $4,500 to ship our equipment each flight. Sad We had to be at the airport 4 hours before departure and watch everybody else get checked it. The band and our equipment was always last to load.

Passengers always felt that we were the ones delaying the flights and would sometimes applaud when we finally got to board the plane. The passengers were even more mad when we landed and our stuff came off the ramps first to the baggage claim areas.

My equipment had Anvil cases and arrived safely. The keyboards were rented and wrecked. The poweramps were knocked out of the racks and speakers knocked off the mounting screws. Imagine a Fender Amp (in a case) with every knob and potentiometer smashed on the front and pushed into the chassis. Evil or Very Mad

We only had one bad incident in any of the other countries. When I opened my guitar case upon arriving in Singapore, my guitar was soaking wet. It was as if it had been dropped into a bathtub.

Never fly Aloha airlines!

And please excuse the cussing in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCApErYxPjM

Edited because it was Aloha Airlines

Last edited by Danny Bates on 8 Dec 2008 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 8:25 am    

Thanks for the head up on way they handle the gear,
hopefully my case is pretty heavy so they cannot throw it about, I have packed as much foam as I could in the case to hold every thing tight.I let you all know how I get on when I get to Goa....John

Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 8:44 am    

John, If you listen to the voice talking to me in the video, you will hear the lead singer say "I hope my beer's ok" and he mentions his Saki... We had just come from Japan. BTW, It wasn't ok.

The band continued the tour without me to many more countries. I couldn't go because of previous engagements. When they went to Saudi Arabia, this same guy was almost beheaded for taking beer there. That's a very stupid thing to do.

BTW, for some reason, every country that had drug smelling dogs always went straight for my leather handbag. That was a hastle too.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2008 8:20 am    

Hi all, well \i made it to \goa ok, first gig next week . sorry about the short detail , but internet here is pretty poor..