The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Picking technique question
Travis Bubenik

Marfa, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 12:56 pm    

I've been learning for about 3 years now but just recently started noticing something that's driving me crazy - and looking for y'all's insight on whether it's something to fix, or something I'm just overthinking and should ignore:

When I'm picking a string, I tend to dig into it a lot, so much so that the tips of my fingers sometimes graze the string above the one I'm picking. Just barely, and it doesn't necessarily produce any noise or wrong notes, but it's a noticeable and recently distracting feeling. It's like - I'm touching other strings I'm not trying to pick, even if they're not actually being picked, and just makes everything feel a bit off.

Is that a sign that I'm digging into the strings too much? A sign that my picking accuracy needs work? Fingers too curled inward? Or just - something that happens if you're like me and have chubby fingers, hah.

I realize this is maybe a bit too nitty-gritty of a question but man...just can't stop noticing it! Any thoughts/tips welcome.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 2:24 pm    

I'd have to see a video to be certain, but a wild guess might be that your picks are too straight, and too much of your fingertip is exposed. It could also be your picking angle and hand position are wrong, but we'll need a video or good photos to be certain.

Travis Bubenik

Marfa, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 3:21 pm    

Picking angle is something I haven’t really considered - I try to keep that classic Newman-advised right hand shape but haven’t paid much mind to angle of attack - that helps to think about thank you!

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 7:46 pm    

Most likely what Donnie said. As time progressed, I kept curling my picks a little more. It will also get your palm closer to the strings and better muting.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 8:15 pm    

I'm about 6 years in, and did this constantly. I still have nails for guitar, and I first tried to have them bend up and meet a little beyond where the nail was. Then after looking at a couple peoples, and online pictures, I started wearing them closer to the tips of the fingers where they would reach out quite a bit (still bending upwards but out quite a ways). Awkward at first but helps me much more and getting used to it. Still find my self doing that sometimes, especially when under stress. Not easy!