The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hank Thompson Legacy
Bill Maynard

Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2008 9:36 am    

It has been a year since Hank Thompson has left us and I for one miss his wonderful music and his style. He was one of America's best country and western entertainers. His style and his delivery was one of a kind and he left his indelible mark on the music all of us left.

Rest in Peace Hank. We miss you

Bill Maynard

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2008 12:36 pm    

Bill, I agree whole heartedly. I grew up in Las Cruces, NM, ( 22 miles from Texas ) so I have a lifelong love of swing and big band music as well as honky tonk. Hank's band played all those types of music. He was definitely one of a kind, I miss him ( I still play some of his songs, even though there are about 2 generations of people who have never heard his great music.

Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2008 5:28 pm    

I heartily agree with you all. I was, am, and will always be a Hank Thompson fan.
I still do some of his songs when I am doing a show.And yes, there are lots of people who are not familiar with his songs.
He was my hero, my teacher,and my friend, and I think he was one of the great artists of our time. He had hit songs and albums in seven decades.
I never tried to sing like Mr Hank, but I have been doing his songs for many years.
Mr Hank and the Brazos Valley Boys, left a legacy that will probably never be duplicated...
Thank you Mr Hank, for your music, and your friendship.
RP...'come on in'...

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2008 5:31 pm    

If I got nothing else out of a failed relationship I'll always appriciate how he introduced me to Hank Thompsons music.

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2008 6:10 pm    

What Rob said. Hank Thompson took western swing and refined it to a "T" and created a new sound. His list of steel players is a who's who of the great steel players. I believe his band got the best band award for 13 years in a row in their prime. Jody.

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2008 7:57 am    

I can't say anymore than what's already been expressed, except that Hank's music is some of the best, in my book. I had the pleasure of meeting Hank a couple of times, and I have wonderful memories of the man and his music. RIP, Hank.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2008 9:20 am    

I had the opportunity to see him in concert three times over the years. He never ceased to amaze me with his kindness and appreciation for the audience/fans.

He was very gracious and always took the time to sign autographs, and for all who wanted to visit with the fans and friends.

The last time I saw him in concert late June 2007 a little over 4 months before he passed away, he was singing and playing with his band in about 95 degree heat. I felt sorry for him because it was so hot and humid that day in that Missouri heat. He loved it though and performed two shows that day. There were two people who led him off stage and he sat there and signed autographs for over an hour in that heat.

We stood in line and got his autograph and talked abit; when we left my son said,"Well, dad, I didn't get to shake his hand!" So we turned around and went back in line again. I said, "Hank my 11 year old son Jackie wanted to shake your hand, and he's a baseball player and learning to play the drums." Hank looked at him, shook his hand and said, "Son, that's a winning combination!" I am sure my son will never forget that.

Hank Thompson was a Country Legend in my books and fits that term as good as anyone I ever saw or heard in the business.

He has a wonderful biography book that was released last year right after his death. Hank wrote it himself and finished it just before he passed away with cancer. It's titled "My Side of Life." It is a must and can be ordered from his sweet wife at the Hank Thompson official website.

Hank played a song titled "Give The World A Smile!" I know he sure put a smile on my face.

I miss him too!

GOD bless!

Terry Wood

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2008 1:48 pm     True Story

A Famous Steel Guitar Player Told me One Time, That He ran away from Home at age 13 To Play Steel Guitar With Hank Thompson. He said that was his biggest goal in life and all he ever wanted to do. We all know that he went on to accomplish much more.
In his own words, he said "the old man raised me on the road, He was like my Dad"

And That Player was Curly Chalker.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2008 8:49 am    

My grandparents lived in southeast Kansas (Neodesha) and we'd visit them on vacation every couple of years or so. It was probably somewhere around 1953 or '54 that we were there for a couple of weeks. A relative had some tickets to a concert in Independence, Kansas. It may have been at a National Guard Armory I believe. The concert was called "The Battle of the Bands". It was the first time I'd ever heard that term! The concert was a double billing featuring Lefty Frizzell & his group and Hank Thompson & The Brazos Valley Boys. Lefty's group was on first and most of them wore matching cowboy shirts but I don't think they all had on the same pants. Also there was no drummer in the group which featured Lefty on rhythm, an electric guitar, a standup steel player, a fiddle, and another rhythm player. I remember thinking that Lefty's records featured a piano player but he didn't have one. They did a great job as Lefty is a legend but as far as a total show, it was seriously lacking. There was a little lag time between tunes and some of 'em even lit up a cigarette now and then but I wasn't prepared for what was to come!

After a little over half an hour intermission the show resumed with Hank and group! All I can say is Wow! Lefty's show is a little sketchy in some ways but Hank's was burned into my mind like it was only yesterday! When the curtain opened, the whole group was wearing tailored cowboy suits with western embroidery on them, matching cowboy boots, and large white western hats. Just the look of the band impressed you without even hearing them play a note. Hank wasn't on stage but they went into the first number and Hank walked out with a big blond Gibson guitar. It looked exactly like the Super 400 Merle Travis played except it was blond. He went into the first tune and it sounded exactly like his recordings. Hank even played the guitar licks himself that Merle Travis did on the recordings! They did about three tunes before anyone even said a word. It was probably one of the most professionally done and paced shows I've ever seen, even to this day and that was over fifty years ago. Hank was right for his time and I'm glad I got to experience him live and in his prime....

Sometime in the early nineties we had Hank as our guest artist at the Virginia Country Music Association's annual George D. Hay memorial dinner and dance. Hank came by himself and used a local band as his backup. Forumite Kenny Dail was in the band on steel that night and played some of Bob White's signature C6th licks which made even Hank smile. Kenny was in his element and on top of his game for sure. Later in the evening I got to meet Hank and told him the story of how that I was so impressed as a young boy seeing that show. He kinda laughed and told me "You know, back in those days my guys impressed me every night, I was honored to play with them". Hank is really one artist who really "earned" his way into the Hall of Fame....JH in Va.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2008 9:27 am    

When I was a teenager and first playing music in the late 1940's, everyone was into Bob Wills, but about that same time a new singer named Hank Thompson with a couple of songs called Green Light & Whoa Sailor that was being played on radio, was booked for a dance at Wellington, Texas. So me and two of my music buddies found enough gas money for his 1937 Ford and drove the 75 miles to listen to this new guy. That's when I first heard the Hank Thompson signature lick on a steel guitar by a player named Lefty Nason.

Many years later, in 1964, I worked on a "package show" tour on which Hank and his band was the headliner and the band I was with backed all of the Nashville acts on the show. We worked venues in several states over several weeks and came to know the individual members of Hank's band during after hours jam sessions at local clubs along the way. Hank's steel player at the time was Bert Rivera. There are so many "war stories" I could tell that occured during that tour, but discretion prevents me from doing it.

The bottom line however, is that I will always have a place in my heart for anything Bob Wills, but I am also a fan of Hank Thompson who provided a different but equally important element to the venue of "western Swing".

Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2008 10:32 am    

When Hank had his first hit I was playing with the Ole Rasmussen band at the 97th Street Corral in Los Angeles, Ca. Hank was booked in as a single and we backed him up as best we could. I don't know if he did not yet have his own band

On another thought, I had worked with three L.A. Musicians who went on Hank's band in later years. Junior Nichols {drums}, Bobby Morris {Guitar & Fiddle}, and Billy Armstrong(Fiddle). None of these guys stayed very long and the consensus was that Hank did not pay enough money to be on the road and maintain a family back home.

Sometimes these jobs with big stars have a lot of "Glory and Recognition" but is not practical as a long term career.

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2008 10:41 am    

As Smiley once said... You can make 10's of dollars working with big names Mad Laughing

Bill Maynard

Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2008 1:27 pm     Hank Thompson's Legacy

I wish to thank all you Forum members for your wonderful stories about Hank Thompson. I never saw him perform live and sure wanted to over the years but never was able to. I still listen to his "Live at the Golden Nugget" CD often and that still is one of the best live recordings in the history of this music business.

Thanks again all ....very much appreciated.....

Bill

Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2008 2:24 pm    

Mr Hayes,
The blond guitar you speak of,was a Super400.He got his guitar about the time Merle Travis got his. The blond guitar is on some of his album covers.Hank wanted a sunburst ,like the one Merle got, but he did not want to 'copy' him, so he got the blond one.
On one of his appearance ,at the Western Swing show in Texarkana,Arkansas, he had a new Super 400 with him, a sunburst model. He took me backstage and showed me the guitar. It was in a hardshell case that was black and had gold flecks in it. He opened the case, took the guitar out,showed it to me,then handed it to me.He said, this is my old blond guitar...I had it refinished , and got my always wanted Sunburst Super 400. He said he knew I wanted to play it..so he handed me a pick, and said play me something.
He was still using it at the shows he was playing. He played that one until his untimely death.
He was never too busy to talk to me, at his shows.
He made some great memories for this old west Kentucky hillbilly.And in my file, I have a letter from him, to give me some information about some things we were discussing...Thanks again Mr Hank...
RP...'come on in'...

Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2008 9:12 pm     Hank Thompson And his Brazos Valley Boys

Very Happy Rolling Eyes Laughing

Hank Thompson was my first big time Artist to fall in love with his voice and his band was super; the only group I have ever seen that worked with two steel players; and they surely provided Hank with his signature " Sound ". I saw him the first time in Charleston, S.C. back in the 50's. As one of you mentioned earlier about Hank and the band members appearance on stage.. Those beautiful tailored western suits. And the entire concert was so professional. Hank will always hold a special place in my heart. Truly a country gentleman..Bernie Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Sailor

Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2008 12:12 pm    

When I was a kid, saw Hank do a RADIO SHOW (remember those) at the Granada Theater is Dallas. The theater was on the then Greenville Ave./HW75 on the north part of town. The emcee was Johnnie Hicks and I believe the show was called The Cornbread Matinee. Hank was almost able to hide behind a mic stand but had that voice. I naturally got his first record when it came out.

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 9:51 pm    

I saw Hank Thompson & The Brazos Valley Boys for the first time in 1973 at the Flame Cafe in Minneapolis. Bert Rivera was playing steel for Hank at the time. That show is very memorable.

Did anyone know that Hank was of Czechoslovakian descent.

QUOTE: "Born September 3, 1925, in Waco, TX, Henry
William Thompson was the son of immigrants
from Bohemia"

Roger

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2008 8:06 am    

Roger,
There is a Czech community around Waco.

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2008 11:17 am    

HI ERV,

The only one I'm aware of is New Braunfels, near San Antonio.

If you remember Harold Loefelmacher of New Ulm, Minnesota. He took his Polka Band, "The Six Fat Dutchman" there to play a gig.

Roger

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2008 12:27 pm    

Roger,
The one I'm thinking of is located about 15 miles North of Waco.
The town is West, Texas. Very Happy

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2008 2:16 pm     Re:

I had the pleasure of meeting Hank several times.In fact it was his steel player Bob White that got me hooked on steel.I was still playing fiddle.Not for Hank.Last time i saw him was in Sioux falls S.D.Jim Murphy was playing steel for him at the time.Jim had a new ZB he was having a problem with.A simple linkage adjustment as i recall.I fixed it for him on break then He and Hank set with me on every break and Hank and i talked about old times playing in Texas.We had run across each other several times as i was playing with a big western swing band back then.
Last time i Saw Big Jim was at Billy Bobs here in Ft.Worth.He was playing a stand up non peal steel for Hank the 3rd and cooking.When he figured out who i was he jumped off stage,locked me in a bear hug.I was wondering what the aduience was thinking.LOL.We talked for a lone while and Hank paitenly waited for him to get back on stage.He told me he still had the ZB.It was at Rick Davis house in Austin,Tx.
After he passed away Ricky told me One of Jims sons had the ZB as i recall.
The good times are really over for good,i am afraid.Tracy

Tom Harris

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2008 8:03 pm    

I first met Hank In Meridian Miss. In 1953,,Bob White and PeeWee Whitewing was playing steel for him,,I never saw any two steel players that was as smooth as Bob and PeeWee was,right together on every run and break,,plus Merel Travis and Grady Martin was on lead guitars,,Curly Lewis and Billy Gray was on fiddles,,cant remember the Twin Trumpet players,,he had I think a 10 piece band that night,I stood right behind the band stand next to Merel and Grady,I was completely Awed by the sound they had,,and never saw a band that was as neatly dressed as they were,Hank has been my Idol since I first heard him do " Wild Side Of Life" somewhere along about 1951 ( I think Curly Chaulker did the steel work on that cut )I have a lot of Hanks stuff on L P's and C D's,,and when I want to hear some 100% good western swing music,,I get them out and play them,,Thanks Hank..R I P..
Tom Harris

John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2008 11:51 pm    

I only met Hank Thompson one time cannot remember the year but I was playing Steel for the Peterborough Festival UK and we had several American stars over at the same time, as well as playing the Peterborough job they were contracted to play the USAF bases at Mildenhall or Lakenheath at this time I was given a job to work with B.Bare this was a releif to me as I ould not play C6 and I had a good idea of what Hank would have wanted from a steel player being a fan of his for ages. Anyway, they got a local band to back him and it was obvious from the start that they could not handle the job but Hank was amazing, he just said "Thank you guys,I think I will do this on my own" He just played his guitar and sang, it was pure talent the place went mad and they loved him ....I will never forget that performance.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2008 6:12 am    

I have mentioned this before on the Steel Forum at different times but Hank done a book, his biography and it was completed just as his life ended. It is one of the best books by a star and I recommend you all read it.

It can be ordered from his wife of 37 years, Mrs. Ann Thompson. It is located on the official Hank Thompson website. The book is worth every cent it costs. It is titled "My Side of Life," by Hank Thompson. I also recommend the Hank Thompson DVD they sell. It features him, his bands, and it is just fabulous. At the end of it they give a run down on his life and his awards and accomplishments were amazing.

The man had sold over 60 million records by 1992. I would really like to know how many more he's sold by now. He surely done some right things for such a career.

One other thing, in my opinion Hank was quite an accomplished guitar player himself. He done alot of Travis type Thumb pickin' and I loved it all!

I hope this helps shed a little more light on this Country Legend/Star!

Terry Wood

Larry Bales

Las Vegas, NV.
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2008 10:57 am     Hank

As a boy growing up on a farm in Iowa I wanted to make it in country music. I became the biggest Hank Thompson fan in the world, I thought. Of course we didnt have TV but I heard him on the radio and loved his sound. He became my idol. I dreamed of the day that I might be able to meet him and even shake his hand. Not only did I get to shake his hand I got to back him up on stage in Southern California and Nevada. Over the years I played with many stars and some that thought they were stars. He was and always will be my favorite. It will never get any better than that. I made it.[/quote]