The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  chromatic tuner
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2008 9:31 am    

I've had two Boss TU-12s in a row develop a loose connection and quit. Anybody else had this problem, or did I just get two lemons?

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2008 2:37 pm    

I have had my BOSS TU 12 for over ten years,use it almost every day,so far no trouble with it,may quit any day,if it does,will get another one.DYKBC.

Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2008 3:32 pm    

Love my strobo-flip. I've had one or two of the Boss tuners as well. 6 Of one. I do like the Newman presets very much.

Robbie Bossert

Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2008 11:46 pm    

Am still using my Korg WT-10 that's about thirty years old. I've tried others but never found one I liked better. Wish to heck they still made 'em....

J PARKER

Meridian Miss
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 6:53 pm     Tuners

I have a old WT 10 that bit the dust and i sure like it but dont no where a repair place is so i bought a new $100 Korg and it seemsa to be ok. Jim

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2008 4:24 am    

The little Korg CA30 will get you started for notta lotta bucks. This is the one to go for if you are on a budget. It'll get you in the proverbial ball-park, but you will have to do some tweaking to get your guitar in tune with itself (very important!).

Boss TU15 is nice, but costa bit more. (I got one - like it a lot, but you still have to tweak just a little afterwards.)

Peterson Strobo-Flip great but costs plenty moola. Is reputed to suck tone if left in-line...so don't leave it in-line, OK?

Rolls Royce tuner is Peterson V-SAM. For billionaire steel-players only. (Are there any billionaires who play steel?)

Your tuning method is every bit as important as the tuner you use. There are a few different techniques, and it is generally agreed that a steel guitar tuned to concert-pitch sounds awful!
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Allen Kentfield

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2008 10:16 am     Korg vs. Boss

I was never happy with a Boss, because they only (used to) read within 2hz. Only the Korg reads the 1/2 hz necessary to tune JI. The harmonic fifth of a note is 1/2 hz sharp of ET.

Al Kentfield
Jonestown, Texas

James Jacoby

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2008 5:59 pm    

I've been using the 20$ Korg GA-30 for several years now, and other than the fact that D# reads E-flat, have no complaints.Even though it's the same note, Being a lead guitar player as well as the steel , I hate E-flat with a passion!!! I can't vouch for how well it works for tempered tuning,(the GA-30), however, because I tune my steel(a Sierra U-12) to straight up 440. I've tried tempered tuning a couple of times before, and always went back to 440. Perhaps if I was a full time steel player, tempered tuning would work better for me.

James Jacoby

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2008 6:27 pm    

Boy, never use a computer without your glasses on!!!!! SCRATCH what I said about the "GA-30"!!!!!!!!!!! After I got done posting, I realized I was looking at the box for my Guitar/Bass tuner, rather than my "CA-30" chromatic tuner!! Also, I apologize for putting the dollar sign on the wrong side of the 20! I'm having "one of those days", I guess! Now I'm getting off of here before I mess anything else up!!!!

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2008 5:39 pm    

To Charles Davidson: no the TU12 is naked, the top of the case tore off years ago. But that would solve the problem, funny I never thought of that! I'll see if Boss sells the carrying case separately. If not, a D2F case would take care of it.

I bought what seemed like a high quality D'Addario y-splitter cord so I could send my guitar to the signal path and a tuner without the tuner in-line. Despite that, somehow that still creates a bit of distortion, I have no idea why. Hosa y-cords from Guitar Center are even worse. So I'm back to plugging in and out of the tuner to tune, real drag.

James Jacoby

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2008 1:41 am     to John McClung

Have you tried an A-B box? I've got a DOD-270 that works well for me. It's got a stomp button, so you can put it on the floor and hit the button when you want to tune. Beats having to plug and un-plug. I'ts 2 1/2" X 4 1/2" X 1 1/2".

James Jacoby

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2008 1:44 am     to John McClung

Have you tried an A-B box? I've got a DOD-270 that works well for me. It's got a stomp button, so you can put it on the floor and hit the button when you want to tune. Beats having to plug and un-plug. I'ts 2 1/2" X 4 1/2" X 1 1/2".

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2008 12:44 pm    

James, I do have an A-B box, guess I'll try that. I'm trying to keep down the number of accessory boxes in my signal path, and clamped to a steel guitar leg, but guess that's sometimes impossible. Good idea!

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2008 5:17 pm    

John, why don't you just run a line from the 2nd output of your Hilton pedal to the Boss tuner? That's what I do...