The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gary P. Nunn & Mark Chestnut
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 1:34 pm    

The following are a couple of gigs the Kevin Fowler Band (the band I pick steel with) has lined up. I'd be tickled to have any forum members come out and heckle me.

Thursday, October 5th at Mango's on Guadalupe St., Austin, TX. We'll be opening for Gary P. Nunn (London Homesick Blues) and start at 9:00PM.

Friday, October 6th at Outlaws Steakhouse and Saloon, CR 214, Liberty Hill, TX. We'll be opening (along with Pauline Reece) for Mark Chestnut and start at 7:00PM
http://www.kevinfowler.com

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 6:18 pm    

Glenn I will have to look you guys up the next trip. I picked up Kevin's album last month after I heard his morning vist to KVET.

You guys were also down at Blanco's in Houston the night before Cornell.

Give us an update on the situation at Babes.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2000 6:21 am    

Hi Janice!

The Blanco's gig was a lot of fun. I left a "howdy" note for Herb that night (if the clean-up crew didn't throw it out). We'll be back there on Thursday, November 16th.

The Lonestar 93 "Lonestar Locals" shows on Tuesday nights moved from Babes on 6th street to Mango's on Guadalupe (near the U.T. campus) last July. Babes "grill side" still has music most nights of the week but the "stage side" lease has ended for Babes. We usually have some great guests for "Lonestar Locals" at Mango's. Next Tuesday, Chris Wall will be our guest. Chris has a fabulous "take-off" guitar picker by the name Kenny Grimes. Kenny can make that thing "talk"!

BTW: I had a ball last night playing the Kevin Fowler opening set for Gary P. Nunn and I got a chance to visit with Danny Hawk. Danny picks steel for GPN. What a nice guy and a great picker with a beautiful late 70's Sho~Bud "Lloyd Green" guitar. (Danny, are you on the forum yet?)

Janice, thanks for supporting Kevin by buying his CD. Hope to get a chance to meet you at a Kevin Fowler show.

Keep on pickin'
Glenn

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2000 8:28 am    

Glenn
Thanks for the "howdy." I didn't get it though, cause I was with Johnny Bush that night at Bubba Cox's place in Granger. I believe Brother Snell did the gig in my place.

Yep, Kenny Grimes is the man! Not only did I take music theory lessons from him years ago, but his wife introduced me to the woman I married. Kenny is also a pretty fair steel player.

I've tried to get Danny Hawk on the Forum for awhile now. He came to visit me last night at Jovita's before going over to Mango's, but I think his computer time is spent day-trading or some such endeavor in which you can lose money faster than you can spending it on steel guitar crap. And Danny has a really nice Lloyd Green SB. I rebuilt the changer/did a setup for him and it is very smooth playing. The guitar also has a George L 5-way pickup in it and that helps considerably.

BTW, if anybody on the Forum wants to move to Central Texas, Danny Hawk has a house on the market in the Lake Travis community of Spicewood TX, about 45 miles from the center of Austin. He is living in the house now and it is a WAY COOL split level home, suitable for a single man or a couple with perhaps one child. Perfect for a retiree. I think around $175K. If anyone is interested, email me and I'll put ya in touch with the Hawkster.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Homesite

[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 06 October 2000 at 09:33 AM.]