The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bert Rivera's Cd
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2008 9:27 pm    

How many Forumites purchased BERT RIVERA'S CD?

IMHO, This CD is long overdue. Smile

This CD is a must for all steel players, IMO! Very Happy

Below are the tracks listed on Bert's CD.

1. Tippin' In
2. Stompin' At The Savoy
3. Tenderly
4. We've Gone Too Far
5. Four
6. Godfather Medley
7. Jersey Bounce
8. Panhandle Rag
9. The Very Thought of You
10. Yardbird Suite
11. Cancion Mixteca
12. Ave Maria

ROGER

Johnne Lee Ables

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2008 6:58 am     Re: Bert Rivera's Cd

Roger Shackelton wrote:

This CD is a must for all steel players, IMO! Very Happy

ROGER

Hi Roger,

Where can I obtain this CD mail order? That is great track list.

Johnne Lee

"In the course of a long life a wise man will be prepared to abandon his baggage several times."

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2008 4:05 pm     'Eclectia” by Bert Rivera

Hi Johnne,

Bert's CD is available at Scotty's Music.

“Eclectia” by Bert Rivera
CD ITEM #ECLBR $ 17.00
ROGER

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2008 4:14 pm     Album: Eclectia----Bert Rivera

Album: Eclectia
Artist: Bert Rivera
Label: Rivera-Hill

Bert Rivera was the Steel Guitar player of the legendary Hank Thompson Brazos Valley Boys band during the second half of the 1960s. For many years he has been a major part of the Austin, Texas musical scene. Now finally, a CD is recorded with Bert and his steel in the spotlight.

The nucleus behind Bert is his band, The Ramblers. Ray Tesmer is playing guitar, Dodd Meredith is the drummer and Kim Cochran is playing bass. Also joining Bert and the group on this album are Lonnie Atkinson, Rick McRae and Frank Garza playing guitars, Lynn Daniel- acoustic bass, Ron Huckaby- piano and Howard Kalish- fiddle. The album title suggests that the music should be an eclectic mix and it is just that. Bert goes to the big bands for some of the material. Tippin' In goes back to the Erskine Hawkins band and Jersey Bounce is a Benny Goodman memory. Both of these tunes are also from the library of Bert's former boss Hank Thompson. He also reprises Stompin' At The Savoy from Benny Goodman. This Steel Guitar legend goes to the world of popular music for a 7:15 minute version of Tenderly, Godfather Medley from Hollywood and 4:53 minutes of Ray Noble's The Very Thought Of You. A real highlight is to listen to Bert bring back memories of his days with the Brazos Valley Boys with Hank Thompson and Billy Gray's We've Gone Too Far. He also does jazz as he learned Four from Miles Davis and Yardbird Suite from Charlie Parker. Western Swing legend Leon McAuliffe and his Cimarron Boys are remembered with Panhandle Rag and Bert journeys south of the border for Cancion Mixteca. The album closes with the classic sacred number Ave Maria.

This album can be obtained from Bert at Bert Rivera, 341 Cedar Break Lane, Burnet, TX 78611. The cost is $15 plus $3 for postage and handling.

Mike Gross, WVOF-FM, Fairfield, CT
September 13, 2003

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2008 8:43 am    

Bert is one fine musician and one of my steel guitar heros. When I was steelin for the Merl Lindsay OZark Jubilee Band, we toured with Hank's band in the early 196o's when Bert had just joined them. I was nervous about the exposure we had on that tour, but Bert calmed me by relating his experience.

He had just replaced Chalker on Hank's band and he told me that you don't know what nervous is until you've done that! Bert is a great steeler, he played Hanks material on the show, but on the jam sessions at local after hours clubs he was a master of the pedals.

Bert's advice about equipment has stayed with me until the present day. Bert said: "Nothing comes out of the amplifier any better than what the player puts in!"

Good advice to the "more expensive and better equipment" buyers of steel guitars.

Dale Thomas

West Branch, IA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2008 9:38 pm    

I purchased the CD at St. Louis and I just recently emailed Bert about the pleasure I derived from it. I mentioned his imaginative choice of pitches in his single note work and the voicings in his chords. If you can listed to his Ave Maria without uttering an ooh, then you might as well not buy anybodys CDs.