The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  spybot 160 question
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2008 10:34 am    

I ran spybot but first had to download updates. I didn't unclick anything and it included 160. It's on my desktop but not completely installed. I checked "remove programs" but only see the original spybot. It didn't show up on search spyboy160 either. What's this all about?

ron

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2008 3:35 pm    

Dear Ron;
Spybot Search and Destroy has been in use for about a decade now. Versions below 1.6 are unable to properly utilize the spyware removal routines that are now included in the weekly downloads. To help bring the entire user-base up to the same current level the company is now bundling a setup file for the latest version, with the weekly updates. That setup file bears the number of the release it contains - in your case version 1.6. It is deposited onto the logged-in user's desktop so that he or she will notice it and use it to update their installation to the new version.

While it is possible to install the new version over the old one it is not a good idea when the previous version is more than a whole number removed (as in v1.4, going to 1.6). You should proceed with the update as follows. First, remove the previous version and any immunizations it has applied.

If you have been applying "Immunization" when you download weekly updates you should open Spybot S&D and visit the "Immunize" tab, then right-click inside the list on the right and select the option to uncheck (or unselect) all. Then, with nothing checked/selected, click the Immunize button. The progress indicator should increase to the maximum as immunization is removed from all items in the list.

As soon as the last item is de-immunized close the program. You will have removed all Immunizations. Immediately go to Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Spybot Search and Destroy (version numbers) and click "Remove." Say yes when prompted and remove the program, then reboot.

When you restart Windows look for the setup file for Spybot S&D 1.6 on your Windows desktop and begin the installation of the new version. Select the option to updated definitions immediately. then choose whether you want to run the resident IE protection (against bad downloads) and the "TeaTimer" (system settings watchman). After the program is fully installed check again for updates, then Immunize everything (right-click in list and select all). Finally, Scan for Problems.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2008 8:47 pm    

I find I have Spybot S&D versions 1.5.2.20 and 1.6 in my list of Programs. Should I remove the old one? Or remove both and start from scratch?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2008 8:40 am    

Brint Hannay wrote:
I find I have Spybot S&D versions 1.5.2.20 and 1.6 in my list of Programs. Should I remove the old one? Or remove both and start from scratch?

Check Program Files and see if v1.6 is installed over 1.52, as it should be. If so just delete the links to the old version in your Start Menu, leaving the new links.

Right-click on any shortcut to a file and it will reveal the path to it. If two shortcuts, for different versions, both point to the same file location, one can be deleted, if you wish.

You should not use older versions of Spybot S&D.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2008 9:38 am    

My Program Files list has Spybot only once, with no version numbers. I assume this means that 1.6 is installed over 1.5.2.20? I only have one SB icon on my Start Menu.

(I don't understand about "showing the path". Where do I right-click and what should I see?)

So should I go ahead and Remove 1.5.2.20 from my Add/Remove Programs list?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2008 1:25 pm    

Brint Hannay wrote:
My Program Files list has Spybot only once, with no version numbers. I assume this means that 1.6 is installed over 1.5.2.20? I only have one SB icon on my Start Menu.

(I don't understand about "showing the path". Where do I right-click and what should I see?)

So should I go ahead and Remove 1.5.2.20 from my Add/Remove Programs list?

If you right-click on any legitimate executable program file there may be a tab that contains "Version" information. That way you can see if the file in the Spybot directory is the current version.

If the old version is over-written, uninstalling it via Control Panel will most likely remove the new version instead. If that happens you must reinstall the new version. That is why most people recommend uninstalling older versions of security programs and rebooting before you upgrade. Spybot recommends this, including removing all applied immunizations, rebooting, then installing the new version.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2008 11:07 am    

I got into this one a bit late I guess. Anyhow...It looks like my new SD 1.6.0 installed over the older version. Add/remove lists only 1.6.
Is this ok or is it best to uninstall everything and then re-install the 1.6?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2008 6:20 pm    

Bent Romnes wrote:
I got into this one a bit late I guess. Anyhow...It looks like my new SD 1.6.0 installed over the older version. Add/remove lists only 1.6.
Is this ok or is it best to uninstall everything and then re-install the 1.6?

If you were moving up from Spybot 1.5.2 to 1.6.0, no problem. If the move up was from 1.4.0, then there may be unforeseen consequences. In the future, when upgrading tp a new full number of Spybot, open the program, go to Immunization, remove all immunizations, then uninstall, reboot, then install the new version. Download new updates, immunize, then scan.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2008 5:00 am    

Thanks, Wiz, your answers are always clear, concise, and understandable. Of course I can't remember whether I had 1.5.2 or 1.4.0 but all I know is that I always did the updates.

In case I am wrong, what are the consequences?

If you were me, would you do an un-install and re-install 1.6.0?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2008 7:56 am    

Bent Romnes wrote:
Thanks, Wiz, your answers are always clear, concise, and understandable. Of course I can't remember whether I had 1.5.2 or 1.4.0 but all I know is that I always did the updates.

In case I am wrong, what are the consequences?

If you were me, would you do an un-install and re-install 1.6.0?

Yes, uninstall it, but first, remove all immunizations. Then reboot, then reinstall, then update, then immunize, then scan.

Spybot releases definitions updates only once a week, usually on Wednesdays. I blog about these updates on Wednesdays or Thursdays. Not only do I list the new malware items defended against, but also the false positives being reported and (to be) fixed. There are lots of "heuristic" false positives with Spybot S&D, especially since the release of version 1.6.0.

AS I mention in my weekly blog articles about Spybot updates, if you are using any version older than 1.6, you are not getting the protection you expect. The type of malware currently in the wild requires intense definition and removal mechanisms that are beyond the abilities of versions older than 1.5.2. In fact, just the detections for the Virtumonde family of Trojans required a rewrite of the 1.6 engine, to 1.6.0.30. There is no way the older versions can deal with these modern spyware threats.

Don't get me wrong about Spybot S&D. I still think it is a valuable tool in the fight against spyware. However, once a week updates may not protect all users against the onslaught of altered keyloggers, Trojans, backdoors, Bots, fake security products, fake video codecs and adware that is pumped out by members of the malware underground - every day. With last Wednesday's updates Spybot Search and Destroy now contains 1,209,640 "fingerprints" in 290,002 rules, for 4232 products.

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2008 12:56 pm    

I used to have SpyBot, but my son removed it a couple of years ago, saying it was making my machine run slowly.

About two weeks ago, my desktop suddenly had this warning attached to it.

I ran System Restore to see it that might get rid of it. It didn't. My computer runs fine, but I'm getting this message, along with a large text page telling me to remove any new software.

Today, I downloaded SpyBot 1.6.0, ran the scans, did the fixes, etc. But the desktop warning is still there. There's also a page telling me if this error message continues, to try removing any recent software.

Is this the warning screen you mentioned earlier in the thread? How can I get rid of it?

I appreciate any help.

Donna Dodd
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Mike Sigler

Give Em A Try !
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2008 7:13 pm    

Donna
I had the same problem and i went to
www.filehippo.com

and downloaded (super anti spyware Free edition)

It got rid of many things spybot could not even find !
My machine now runs faster, cleaner, and smoother.. even with dial up!
hope this will help you...
Mike

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2008 8:51 pm    

Donna;
That is the modified desktop wallpaper I was talking about. If Spybot didn't recognize the malware, SuperAntiSpyware might. It is a fake alert from a rogue anti spyware infection.

You might want to try downloading MalwareBytes AntiMalware for this bad guy.

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2008 1:48 am    

Thanks guys!

I saw Mike's response first, and
went to www.filehippo.com
and downloaded super anti spyware (Free edition), ran the "quick-scan" option - and THAT got rid of it!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for the help!!!!!

Free at last!!!!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview

Joe Law

Leslie ,GA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2008 5:43 am    

Aside from your post subject, Donna how did you get a print screen on your post. I have been trying for ages using XP Pro version.

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2008 2:19 pm    

Joe,

I hit the Print-Screen key, and then pasted it into a new photo image - merged everything, saved it as a jpeg, and then uploaded the image.
Very Happy

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2008 2:30 pm    

Also, Donna, where did you find superantispyware on filehippo??
I looked all over, finally I had to google the name and DL direct from super's home page, Hope I got the right one..it put a little yellow bug down in the right hand corner...

Joe Law

Leslie ,GA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2008 4:27 pm    

Donna

Thanks for the response. That's the way I thought it was supposed to work. I have a newer Gateway keyboard and I guess it is just not communicating with the computer very well.

Guess that's life. Thanks

Joe

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2008 6:00 pm    

Bent Romnes wrote:
Also, Donna, where did you find superantispyware on filehippo??
I looked all over, finally I had to google the name and DL direct from super's home page, Hope I got the right one..it put a little yellow bug down in the right hand corner...

www.superantispyware.com/ is the home site and best source for the most up to date version of SUPERAntiSpyware.

Kenny Pryor

Decatur ILLinois area, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2008 6:34 pm     Spybot Is outdated. get rid of it will help you.

when I ridded myself of the programm I had some peace. there is much better programs offered now.
Wiz is da man to direct..good luck. Winking Winking Winking

Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 5:59 pm    

Wiz, what are your thoughts about the latest version of MS Onecare? I was having the same problems as everyone else here, tried S&D, Windows Defender, the computer still ran slow. I tried Onecare about a week ago and it seems to work great, computer runs fast and I did a backup for the first time. I'm thinking of purchasing, after the 90-day trial. I did a search, and you seemed to think it was not the best. Has it improved?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 10:56 pm    

Michael Haselman wrote:
Wiz, what are your thoughts about the latest version of MS Onecare? I did a search, and you seemed to think it was not the best. Has it improved?

The reviewers say it has improved and Jack agrees (he uses it). Since you get a free trial you will know how well it works after a week or two.

The type of protection you need depends on several factors. These include the basics of the computer itself, such as amount of RAM, speed of the CPU, version of the OS and number of applications you usually have open. Some security apps are more intense than others and will bog down a marginally equipped PC.

People operating Windows computers as Administrators are at much greater risk than Limited Users or Power Users. Administrators need more powerful protection because any threat that gets through your defenses will gain complete control to do what it is designed to do. Rootkits only install from Administrator accounts, or if their Trojan executable is installed using "Run As" administrator privileges. This is accomplished through social engineering tricks.

I operate as an XP Professional Power User and have not had any infections take hold, even though they may have been invisibly downloaded on occasion. Trend Micro's Web Protection Add-on notifies me if that happens, as does Avira AntiVir. A power user must be tricked into running an executable as an admin to install any malware into the main operating system.