The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Academy / Rickenbacker Bakelite Lap Steel Photos
Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2008 5:28 pm    

Hi folks,
here are some pictures of an American Academy lap steel I aquired a few months back. I have heard that these were made by Rickenbacker and marketed as student guitars, and that the pickup is similar to the horseshoe pickup that are on the Rickenbacker bakelite guitars. I have never had a chance to play a Rickenbacker bakelite guitar, but this guitar sounds very good, a bright and full scooped tone. The only thing that is a problem is that the tuners are very stiff, eventhough I have taken them off and cleaned them when I replaced the tuner buttons. I'm guessing that when the tuners are under string tension the posts are in too much friction with the bakelite headstock. I'm considering adding some sleeves to act like bushings for the shafts. Any thoughts on the tuners and my idea about bushings for the shafts? I hope these photos are of interest for people. Please add any commments or thoughts you have about these guitars, I don't know that much about them, but I like this guitar.

Thank you,
Cliff

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2008 5:38 pm    

I believe Rick Aiello, our resident pick-up expert has one of those guitars, and could likely tell you all about them. Smile

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2008 4:42 am    

Best kept secret in steel guitars ... shhhh Laughing

I have 3 Academys and one Ace ...

Quote:
The only thing that is a problem is that the tuners are very stiff, eventhough I have taken them off and cleaned them when I replaced the tuner buttons. I'm guessing that when the tuners are under string tension the posts are in too much friction with the bakelite headstock. I'm considering adding some sleeves to act like bushings for the shafts. Any thoughts on the tuners and my idea about bushings for the shafts?

If you want modern tuning machines with bushings ... you will have to enlarge the post holes ... quite abit.

I recommend simply taking a small round file and making a few gentle passes ... to smooth out and slightly enlarge the post holes diameter ... and use the originals ... if they are operational.

If not ... for singles ...

Grover Vintage Statites ... Click Here .... have shafts that only require a few passes of the file (w/o bushings) to fit ... I've redone lots of B6s and Silvers with these ...

Looks like Stewart MacDonald has some new tuning machines too ... Vintage 3 on a Strip ... Click here ...

I haven't seen/tried them ... but the shaft diameter looks good compared to the Grovers ... 0.234" vs. 0.249" ... and the spacing between posts is the correct 1.375" ...

Anyway ... if you need to enlarge ...

Don't take a drill to it ... the bakelite will respond very well to gentle filing.

Quote:
and that the pickup is similar to the horseshoe pickup that are on the Rickenbacker bakelite guitars

It's the same pickup ...

Anyway ...

Gotta be careful of buying the Ace, though ... they have been prime targets of RIC bass players ... who want the magnets.

That molded handrest on the Ace ... lets the theft go undetected ...

So make sure you get a flashlight and get a good look under the hood ... Mr. Green

PS: I put grounds on the aluminum back-plates of mine ... soldered a copper wire to the inside of the plate ... and ran it to the ground bus ...

Really quieted them up ...

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2008 6:12 am    

A bit of silicon lubricant would probably help make thing slick. You can find it at your local home improvement stores.

Old kluson tuners, and the modern repros thereof use a thin stamped metal bushing that may fit without any surgery needed to the guitar. I have some laying around if you'd like to try them.

The Ace/Academy models are neat guitars. I've often wondered if the monolithic design of neck, body and bridge provided any sustain advantages over the separate neck, body and sometimes bridge of the B6 bakelite construction.

Cliff Kane

Post  Posted 16 Sep 2008 9:45 am    

Thanks, guys!
Bill, you were right about Rick. I did try lubing the tuners and the shafts with Tri-Flow, and it did little to improve it. They turn fine until there is string tension put on them, then as the pitch increases they become harder to turn. Rick, thanks for the idea about a file. I'll try some light file dressing and see if that helps. The sustain is good on this guitar, the tone is good, too....it's a scooped funky tone, fun to play.

Thanks,
Cliff

Lynn Oliver

Redmond, Washington USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2008 10:33 am    

You don't show the tuners so I'm not sure if this is directly applicable: Any remedy for sticky tuners?.

If it is, I have some detailed repair instructions emailed to me by Denny Turner. I haven't had a chance to try them out though, as I'm stuck on the first step (removing the covers).

John Dahms

Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2008 1:57 pm    

I have a pair of Aces. I think they are in some ways better than B6s (for one thing they are lighter) and are excellent sounding. Be careful if you feel you need to file or work with bakelite, it is brittle. Don't change the tuners if you can't find ones that the holes line up the same. If they bind remove them and polish up the posts to reduce friction.
Good luck and enjoy.

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2008 8:16 pm    

The thing is, NEVER use a drill to enlarge holes in bakelite. Filing is the safest way. I use reamers, but mostly because I have the tools. Using too coarse of a file may chip the stuff around tuner holes, be patient! Very Happy

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 10:37 pm    

Cliff, I own the twin of your Academy!

It was my first ever steel, I blame that little 6-string bugger for how the rest of my life has gone!

One of my tuner buttons broke off, I had McCabe's in Santa Monica replace all the tuners, I think they are pretty standard classical guitar open back tuners, 3 to a side. Stop by and compare. This little steel really has sweet tone.

Oh, I saw your Emmons p/p at Palenscar's shop last weekend when in with my Mullen for some custom work, didn't have a chance to play, sure looks purty, though! It's in Day setup, I thought you played Emmons style?

Cliff Kane

Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 4:54 am    

Hey John,
how are ya?! Yes, that's my guitar! It's a basic Emmons setup, never played the Day setup. Does your lap steel say "American Academy"? Cool. I'd like to hear it, this one sounds pretty good. Thanks for the advice on the classical tuners, these are open back Klusons.

Cliff

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2008 3:23 pm    

You better call Jim, the copedent printout laying on the Emmons had a Day pedal setup, at least I think that's what I saw. Maybe I'm hallucinating!! Apologies for a scare if I'm seeing things.

My little lap steel just says Academy, not American Academy, same script lettering.