The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Want to move to Austin?
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2000 6:04 am    

Cisco Systems here in Austin is in hiring mode, particularly embedded systems developers, but also hardware, QA and test engineering positions.

If any of you tech types out there are interested in checking it out, drop me an email at bterry@cisco.com and I can give you more details.

I've been with Cisco about 6 months and have never worked in a better place, plus Austin has a great music scene.

(b0b, hope this isn't too blatantly commercial... if so yank it, thanks.)

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2000 7:13 am    

Oh, fooey. I thought you were offerin' a steel gig.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2000 7:16 am    

Oh great, Bill. Moving more steel players to Austin, are we?! I'm gonna have a heart-to-heart talk with you about that stuff, maybe a little Economics 101 about what happens to demand when supply is increased!

So, um.... Cisco is hiring? Any openings for 52-year-old former advertising managers?

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Homesite

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2000 7:45 am    

C'mon Herb.... You first call guys don't have any problems, it's us last call guys that suffer....

Oh yeah, did I mention stock options????

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2000 8:20 am    

Is it true that Cisco employees put in really long hours?

-Bill

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2000 8:44 am    

Bill,
It's no worse than any tech company I've worked for(Motorola, Crystal Semiconductor, Tandy) I'd guess I'm averaging about 45 hours a week, with a top of about 60 one week when we were in a schedule crunch. I don't know about the San Jose folks, but that's generally the case with everybody I work with in Austin. Never a hassle with leaving a little early for a Fri. nite gig either.

The difference here is that management actually came around and personally thanked all of us for the extra hours, rather than just expecting it.

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2000 10:47 am    

Hey Bill,
"...you first call guys..."??
I'v heard of "call girls",but never,"call guys". I believe,they're referred to as,"gigolos".

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2000 11:28 am    

Did somebody just call me?

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2000 2:51 pm    

What's the average price of homes in Austin?

John Gretzinger

Canoga Park, CA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2000 3:55 pm    

Bill -

Do you know if they are also looking for anyone in their SoCal offices? I would not mind moving back to Austin in a couple or three years, but right now, I'd rather stay here.

Herb - don't worry.... if and when I do get back to Austin I'll still be the last steel player anyone would ever call for a job. That and I'll still be trying to find the Armadillo World Headquarters and some of the other places I used to hang out.

jdg

------------------
MSA D-10
'63 Gibson Hummingbird
16/15c Hammered Dulcimer

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2000 10:20 pm    

Hey Bobby average price of a home here is very comparable to the West coast>Outrageous>.
There are so many areas in and around Austin. In Austin an older house will cost considerably more that out in the burbs>simple because of the cool effect.
All and all 100,000 to 150,000 will get ya fine and I believe we are sittin' at about 7.5% right now; so it is a good time to relocate; just make sure the new job is comprable to the economy here; like it is out there.
Have fun and we would be glad to have ya Bobby Lee.
Ricky

------------------
Ricky Davis
http://hometown.aol.com/sshawaiian/RickyHomepage.html
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html
sshawaiian@aol.com

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2000 5:48 am    

b0b
Home prices in the city are generally causing long-time Austinites to shake their heads... it used to be $100/sq.ft. was only for the priciest of neighborhoods. Now, small frame homes in modest neighborhoods routinely get that amount. The closer to downtown you get, the higher the price, generally. Austin's plan is to get the high-tech firms to locate close to the city core.

I regularly see 2/1 homes under 1500 sq.ft. selling for $175K if in the "right" neighborhoods. These are homes that 20 years ago could be had for less than $20K.

Out in the Hill Country (west of town), where we live, prices are generally less than the city center, but more than a similar home would cost in the countryside east of town. However that could change as more people realize the most affordable places are east of town, like Bastrop and Smithville (30-50 miles outside Austin).

However, if you've got a place in CA, here's a story. A friend of mine and her husband moved here from San Jose due to his job change. They sold an 800 sq.ft. house in San Jose for... are you sitting down?... $340,000. They came here and bought a 2400 s.f. house on 2.5 acres in the Hill Country (Oak Hill area, 8 miles from downtown) for $198,000. So they are quite happy, indeed.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Homesite

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2000 6:01 am    

John,
Don't know about So Cal, Austin is a relatively new part of Cisco and they are building up the DSL group in a big way.
Check out http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/jobs.pl . There might be something there.

b0b, Herb and Ricky pretty well summed up the housing situation, not pretty..... That's one reason I ended up in Bastrop, but it's beginning to catch up with Austin over the last couple of years.

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2000 2:33 pm    

Those housing prices sound pretty nice to me! I don't think I could get the missus to move that far away from the grandkids, though.

Try punching up Santa Rosa or Napa in www.homeseekers.com and you'll see what we're paying around here. $100/ft2 would be a real bargain!