The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Classic Country in Gatlinburg
Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2000 8:43 pm    

The Classic Country Jamboree began May 27 in Gatlinburg, featuring country classics from the 50s, 60s and 70s. I caught the show tonight and its a winner. If you like Price, Jones, Twitty, Waylon, Strait, Tammy, Loretta, Patsy, Dottie, Brenda, etc.,with some Elvis and Dolly included for spice, you'll enjoy this show.

Darrell Thatcher (formerly from the southwest U.S. and for the past nine years in Nashville) is on an Emmons LeGrande II and he does a great job. He plays pedal steel on about 85% of the 40+ numbers on the show and doubles on flattop and fiddle for the remainder. The sound man feeds him through loud and clear. The show is at 570 East Parkway (Hwy 321) heading east out of downtown Gatlinburg (formerly the Gatlinburg Theater). They will have matinees and evening shows on most Tuesdays and Saturdays during the summer.

Jim Baron

Madera, Ca.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 7:11 pm    

Hey, My old pickin buddy can sure enough pick that steel, along with anything else that has strings. Sounds like your in a great situation there. Drop a note if you get a chance.
Thanks Fred for posting this...

Jo Ann Joyce

Silver Spring, MD - USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 8:21 pm    

There's a guy named Garry Johnson from the Bristol, VA area that has joined that show and he is an extremely talented vocalist. I also hear that Dolly Parton's pianist has joined the staff band. Can't wait to see them...

Fred Layman

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2000 4:44 pm    

That's right Jo Ann, Garry is the lead soloist and does a great job on Price, Twitty and Jones stuff, especially. I was over for the matinee today and got to chat with him. And, yes, the piano player was formerly with Dolly. The manager was telling me today that they are exploring the possibility of opening an additional theater in Pigeon Forge next season. Classic Country!; could this be the start of a turnaround in the Smokys?

Fred Layman

Post  Posted 16 Jun 2000 1:29 pm    

Clarification. When I mentioned above that Darrell plays steel on 85% of the numbers in the show, that's exclusive of the Elvis part of the show. Jimmy Smith does an Elvis section for ca 30 minutes that has no steel on it.