The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Webb Amp Problem
Harold Parris

Piedmont, Alabama USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2008 3:49 pm    

I have an older Webb 614 E that has a bugging problem. The volume changes and the reverb sensitivity changes occasionally without my moving any knobs. I ordered a set of schematics from Tom but would like to hear from any of you that has any idea what the problem could be. I love this amp and want to get her fixed. Crying or Very sad

Marvin Born

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2008 3:55 pm     Webb

I had a similar problem with my Webb. Check to see if there is a 1/4 stereo plug and jack to connect the reverb tank to the chassis. I had to replace the jack and my problem cleared. I also replace the plug at the same time since I was in there.

It might be worth a check.

Marvin

Harold Parris

Piedmont, Alabama USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2008 4:26 pm     Stereo plug

Thanks Marvin I will look at that. I really like the sound of this amp when it is right but the problem get on your nerves. You have it set to sound right and all at once it changes on it own. I appreciate your input.

Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2008 6:48 pm    

In the back of the Webb are 2 jacks about 1 inch apart from each other. They would be on the right hand side as you're looking at the back. What happens if you connect these 2 input jacks with a single 1/4 inch cable ? I'm not sure if this will solve or even address your problem, but I know it fixed a similar problem I had many years ago on one of my Webbs. This advise came directly from Mr. Webb himself when he was alive.

Last edited by Jeff Hyman on 5 Sep 2008 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2008 10:22 pm    

Harold,
You might want to talk to Brad Sarno about this problem. He seems to know alot abot Webb's.

Harold Parris

Piedmont, Alabama USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2008 3:34 am    

Thanks for the advise. I thought about contacting Brad. I will check out the suggestions and if they don't work, I'll try to contact Brad.

Harold Parris

Piedmont, Alabama USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2008 3:34 am    

Thanks for the advise. I thought about contacting Brad. I will check out the suggestions and if they don't work, I'll try to contact Brad.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2008 4:56 am    

Sometimes in the Webb if you hear random volume fluctuations, first check that silver toggle switch that engages the graphic EQ. That switch is a power-type switch and isn't the best choice for audio. They can become oxidized and make weak contact. So maybe jiggle the heck out of that switch flipping it back and fort a lot to see if it self cleans. If it seems to be the culprit, you may want to replace it. It's a DPDT type.

You may also want to check all the molex connectors inside and clean them with pure 100% isopropyl alcohol. It sounds like you've got some bad contact somewhere, maybe the pots need cleaning as well. Sometimes simply disconnecting and reconnecting the internal molex connectors will self clean and fix such problems.

Check the contacts at the reverb tank as well.

Brad

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2008 1:44 pm    

Here's what you do Harold you won't be disappointed Whoa!

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=121868