The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Cowboy Eddie Long
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Cowboy Eddie Long
bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 3:40 pm    

It was good to see Eddie at show this year. Eddie is a great guy and a super picker. It was fitting that Eddie was at the show the same year that Julian was put into the Hall of Fame. Not that Eddie tries to copy Julian. But you can hear Julian's influence in Eddie's playing.

Now he doesn't Look as good as Miss Dolly But his playing makes up for that. Laughing

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 3:58 pm    

Ditto. I had heard of "Cowboy" for several years, but this was my first time to hear him play. He brought a really good band too.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 8:03 am     Showed Out

Bob,
You are right. Cowboy did an excellent job and no one else had such an influence on him as Julian Tharpe. When Eddie plays you can Julian all throughout his playing,

Dan

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 8:19 am     me too!

Eddie's set was up top of my list of highlights for the convention this year. He smoked that BMI with a burning rendition of "Jackson" and otherwise played really interesting and fresh tunes. He sounded great IMO, and I enjoyed it immensely.

His band was really hot as well.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 9:49 am    

Eddie sounded great, as he did back in the early 80's when he came with Hank Jr. to Graham Central Station in Phoenix, and Eddie sit in for me for 2 sets and blew me away. You sounded great Eddie!!!!