The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. More About Playing Steels in the Rooms......
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  More About Playing Steels in the Rooms......
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 2:36 pm    

I just do not understand the reasoning behind the steel guitar manufacturers who rent the rooms at the convention, fill them with steels, yet make very little (in some cases, no) efort to encourage potential buyers to sit down and actually play the instruments they have on display.
Is it too much to ask to put a chair behind each steel you show?
And maybe even spring for a $49 headphone amp so that one can actually hear what they sound like?
Yes, there are one or two steels connected to amps in each room, but they are always being played in mini-concerts all day long.
Are they really trying to sell steels or just hold jam sessions?
I'm sure one or two made some accommodations but I didn't find any.
Don't get me wrong....absolutely GREAT music....especially Mike Sigler and Norm Hamlet in the GFI room....and one of the reasons I enjoy attending....but if these jam sessions were limited to evenings only, perhaps more potential buyers would get a chance to sit down and actually play these steels.
The outstanding exception is the Carter booth, which every year has 4 or 5 steels set up with amps/headphones and encourages anyone to sit down and try one. The Carter people know that people want to actually play a steel before they buy it...not just look at it!!!

Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 3:26 pm    

Tony, I am sorry you didn't get to try the Mullen G2, but there was 2 of them with headphones sitting to the right just before you went into the Mullen room. Jerry, Micky Adams and the Mullen guys were there to answer questions all day long & most of the night. Jerry never did play, just helped with customers. Hope you can try a G2 soon.

Donna

Mike Sigler

Give Em A Try !
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 7:21 pm    

Tony
There were 16 steels set up in the GFI room with 2 Nashville 112 also with headphones and 4 steal guitar seats as well.. so there were many guitars to try..

I try to limit my playing times to when the room is dead and then Gene ask me to do it to bring in the people..
But at any time i would be glad to step down to allow a customer try out any guitar.. And just for the record there will be many players here agree that as they come into the room, i also was giving out FREE steel lessons.
But by all means stop back in and if myself and steve pitticco are jamming we will without a doubt take a break...
Love Ya Buddy!
Smile
Mike

Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 3:49 am     Agree

I must agree with Tony about playing the various makes of guitars at the conventions. I did not go to St. Louis but I did go to Dallas and the only 2 vendors with psgs to play for all the shoppers to test was Chuck Back and his Desert Rose guitars and Carter Steel Guitars. These companies used basic merchandising techniques, show a fine looking guitar, have the buyer play the guitar. In fact lead the buyer to the guitar to try it, and make the buyer feel good about the product and the sales person. Basics...jr

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 5:10 am    

Quote:
if myself and steve pitticco are jamming we will without a doubt take a break...

Aaahhh! No Way, Mike! It's you guys I really come to see...the playing in the rooms is very often waaay better than on stage Wink
But maybe a time could be allotted each day, say 10am-3pm where several steels in each room could be set up for anyone to walk in and try, then after that time, the jams could start.
(by the way, I'm sending your mp3 with Norm over today)

Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 5:28 am    

Joe, At Dallas there were several steels sitting waiting to be tried. Some were up at the front and there was one sitting as you first walk in the room with seat and headphones just for people to try while someone was on the others playing. You could jam by yourself or play along with the others. Sorry you didn't see them.

Donna

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 6:01 am    

Mike Sigler wrote:
Tony

But by all means stop back in and if myself and steve pitticco are jamming we will without a doubt take a break...

Mike

No!!, Don't stop Smile

bob

Bob Callaway

Bob & Barbara of Shepherdsville, Kentucky
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 9:59 am    

Tony WE are sorry you didn't know we had head phones for anyone who wanted to try our guitars in the Derby room. All anyone has to do is ask. We don't leave them out because bars and picks ect. has a way of walking off. I'm sure other dealers have had the same problems. BOB.
Member LMSGC, NTSGA, ASGA, OzarkSGA, PSGA,
www.BobCallaway

Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 11:15 am     Steel Room

My first trip to the St Louis show some years ago I walked into the Sierra room and someone was on the stage with a band demonstrating a Sierra steel. I sat down on one of the steel seats to listen. One of the Sierra guys came over and said "If you are not going to buy that steel guitar get your ass up"

I was in the market to buy a steel guitar and had the money in my pocket to pay for it. Since then I have been back a couple of times to St Louis and Dallas but never sat down to another steel. Never went back to the Sierra room and never will.

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 2:28 pm    

I've had both good and bad experiences checking out steels at St. Louis and Dallas. Mostly they've been good, but every so often you get a situation where you feel like you're putting someone out. In Dallas, 2007, I was trying out a steel guitar when the dealer/maker came over and literally picked up the guitar and brought it to another player waiting close by (who was no doubt fanning himself with a cheque book). It was hilarious. I just got up and went on about my business. Another time, I was asking a dealer some questions and he just kept looking over my shoulder and nodding to other people. That kind of turned me off, but again gave me a good laugh.

I do not believe headphones to be a great way to sell a guitar, although there's not much choice in the hustle and bustle of the convention.

I went to St. Louis with the means to buy a guitar this year, but in the end couldn't decide on any one brand and left it until Dallas '09. Many of the brands play equally well, so I'd say the most friendly and courteous dealer will end up with my money. And that will be a toss-up as well, because practically every brand of steel has great people working for it.

The stand-outs for me in St. Louis, as well as Dallas '08, were Jackson and Mullen. The tone and playability of each were all top-notch, and the service was friendly and warm. I also liked Jeff Surrat's Show-Pro guitars, and the Fessenden Jerry had with him (that Jeff Bradshaw played) was really nice as well. I warmed up to GFI this time around, enjoying a Red Ultra which felt nice to play and sounded good even through headphones.

We're lucky to have such a great community. I have made friends with so many dealers that I wanna buy from all of them! Smile

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 2:52 pm    

Here's one for you. I went into the Mullen room with the intention of writing a check, just wanted to make sure which pick ups I liked best cause they had a couple of different ones installed. Everyone was real nice and accomodating. Almost everyone that is. Not sure who it was but one of the guys there came over and started adjusting the tone of the amp while I played. I had just finished rolling off most of the bass, cause that's the way I like it, when he squats down and rolls it all back on. I couldn't believe he was doing that so I asked what he was doing. He said I was too loud for the room. We'll I wasn't loud at all and if I was, why didn't he just turn it down intead of only adjusting tone? Needless to say, my check book stayed in my pocket.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 4:29 pm    

Please allow me to clarify and expand upon my post.
I fly 1500 miles and spend quite a bit of $$$ to attend the ISGC show. Who amongst us is not in the market for a new, latest and greatest steel?
Well I am/was.
I own two Sierras and a Carter but want to sell one of the Sierras and replace it with something a bit more state of the art.
One of my goals was to sit down and really give a tryout of the new steels that were being shown in STL.
I found this to be all but impossible, as I need at least 15 mintues to evaluate a steel and ...hello?...I need to hear how it sounds as well.
If I found something I liked, I would have bought one, but the rooms simply were not conducive to "come on in and sit down and try one of our steels" (again, Carter being the exception, but I already own a Carter).
I LOVE THE JAM SESSIONS IN THE ROOMS and in no way am I suggesting that they be discontinued in any way.
I'm merely stating my experience, which resulted in NO SALE and backing it up with a suggestion to limit jam sessions to late afternoons/evenings, leaving the first several hours of each day to WELCOME potential buyers to the rooms.
(example: I went in the Fulawka room to try a Fulawka steel but not only was there none to try, Jim Loesberg was on stage playing his Emmons!)
I WANNA BUY A NEW STEEL but you guys are making it difficult!

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 4:41 pm     Re: Steel Room

Billy Henderson wrote:
My first trip to the St Louis show some years ago I walked into the Sierra room and someone was on the stage with a band demonstrating a Sierra steel. I sat down on one of the steel seats to listen. One of the Sierra guys came over and said "If you are not going to buy that steel guitar get your ass up"

I was in the market to buy a steel guitar and had the money in my pocket to pay for it. Since then I have been back a couple of times to St Louis and Dallas but never sat down to another steel. Never went back to the Sierra room and never will.

This is clearly a case of misunderstanding that has never been cleared up.
I'm 100% confident that this comment was said with pure sarcastically humorous intent.
Delivering sarcastic humor with a straight face sometimes leads to misunderstandings like this.
I hope David Wright will chime in on this.
Billy, I hope you will reconsider that moment and ask yourself if you really think that person was serious.
Please name names and I will gladly help clear this up. PM me if you want.
Pete Burak

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 4:56 pm    

The Jackson room had a great setup. You could just go in and ask to sit at a steel. There was always someone there to assist you, and move around the steels to accommodate you. I didn't feel as comfortable climbing up on stages to try out steels. I did it, though. Smile Heck, I even threw my little MCI S10 on stage in the Fulawka room and jammed for a while!

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 5:48 pm    

Unfortunately Ed Fulawka was just not able to make it down. There were some jams in the room, generously organized I understand by Butch Cornwall, and one of the used guitars in the room was identified as for sale, but this was not the year to try out Fulawkas (great guitars built by a great guy!).

I had no trouble trying out the guitars I wanted to try - sometimes you just have to pick your time, as the rooms get crowded etc. But for sure some dealers do a better job of making it easy to try their guitars out, and I bet they sell more guitars because of it.

Steve Morley

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 5:53 pm    

Boy, is this thread a surprise! Beside the great music, I always thought that people went to St. Louis or Dallas to check out new guitars and make a purchase decision. Guess not! I've done a lot of convention selling myself, and I always had great luck with putting the customer in the "driver's seat". I'm sure the steel makers are nice folks, but may need some Salesmanship 101 lessons! BTW, I have talked on the phone with Wayne Link and Maurice Anderson, and these two fine gentlemen are examples of people who don't need those lessons.

I'm not saying I won't ever go to these shows, but I won't spend the money to go just to buy a steel. I will be in the market for a D10 next year.

Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 6:34 pm     My post

Pete I do not know the guys name but I still could pick him out of a line up. I will never forget him, tall with white hair, slender build in his 60's or early 70's I would say. He was wearing black pants and a white shirt with black stripes. This guy was dead serious. As I got up I did notice every one in the room was standing around the wall, no one seated at the steels. I guess it was his job to keep the deadbeats out of the way.

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 7:21 pm    

Billy Henderson,
I'll bet you it was me that told you that, and trust me , it was all in fun...sorry you took it to heart, but you aren't the first one I said that to, and won't be the last one, you come in my room whether it be Sierra, MSA, you will get a line of B.S. from me... thats just how I Sell... Rolling Eyes I'm there to have a good time and play, Sell too...Loosen up Billy... can't we just all get along???? Shocked

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 8:08 pm    

Y'see, David Wright talks to everybody like that. We just poke him with a sharp stick in the eye and then we all have a good laugh over it and we're all friends again. That's how the system works.

Mike Sigler

Give Em A Try !
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 9:19 pm    

are we talken about my buddy Dave! why he has never abused me, Smile... just says nice things, and bys me dinner, and pats me on the back when i need it, and and and and and so on and so on!
But One Thing is For Sure, He's Always WRIGHT !
Smile
Howdy Buddy !
Mike

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 9:29 pm    

"Loosen up Billy... can't we just all get along????"
"That's how the system works."

Yes, and No. Jim, i agree most generally with everything you post. But this time..nope. Not everyone has a sense of humor. Thats not the way it works. David what you might find amusing, someone else might find offensive. The first thing a good salesmen learns, is to keep your personal opinions, and jokes to yourself. Help the customer, and answer any questions he may have about the product you are selling. Some light hearted fun, often time breaks the tension. But this time, you went overboard. Just my thoughts. Sell the product, leave the humor to the comedy clubs.... Very Happy

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 3:32 am    

I was asked if I wanted to play a guitar when I first walked into the Mullen Room. When I told them I could not play a standard guitar, I was quickly accommodated with an over size guitar. Jerry Newberry sat with me and talked with me and explained the G2 to me as I played it. In fact, it was Austin's guitar and Jerry took the time to set it up for me so I could play something while I was there. As I left, Mike thanked me for trying the guitar out. The only other guitar I saw that was set up higher than standard was a Blackjack, and there was no seat at it and no one ever said anything to me when I looked at it. I am not even sure if the person who ran the booth was even there since I dont know who that would be. Mark Giles offered to set up a higher guitar for me, other than that, no one said anything or made any offers to me to play a guitar and being it was my first trip there, I didnt know who to ask to play one. I assumed they would all be set up and ready to road test. For a first timer, it was somewhat confusing....James

Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 4:58 am     Reply to David Wright

David I do not believe it was you, I have seen you several times. I also do not believe the guy was kidding. If he was he had a chance to tell me so. Either way I took it seriously. I was brand new to the steel guitar then. It really got away with me and embarrassed me in front of my wife.

All I was saying if all the steel vendors have a similar attitude, and some do as we can see from the posts on this thread, maybe they have more business than they want. Rains from the storm really hurt the crops here.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 5:15 am    

Billy, I've certainly never experienced any rudeness...I'm sorry you did...if anything these guys are super nice people.
But I concur that not all of them make great businessmen.
I own a retail store and if a customer comes in I make it as easy and enjoyable as possible to accommodate his requests....WITHOUT having to ask.
If I'm already talking to someone when he comes in, I quickly excuse myself and say "I'll be with you in just a minute".
Basic salesmanship.
Or maybe they don't want the steels to be played so they can keep them "new".
What else is there to think when there are ten or more steels in a large room and only two set up to play, and they're on a stage, usually with someone jamming or playing to tracks.
If I were stelling steels, I would have ten of them set up with seats, vol pedals and headphone amps and invtie anyone who showed any interest to sit down and try one.
When he left, I would give him a brochure, maybe take his email address, etc. and followup a week later.
The only brochure I saw in any of the rooms was the Mullen one.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 6:32 am     Re: My post

Billy Henderson wrote:
Pete I do not know the guys name but I still could pick him out of a line up. I will never forget him, tall with white hair, slender build in his 60's or early 70's I would say. He was wearing black pants and a white shirt with black stripes. This guy was dead serious. As I got up I did notice every one in the room was standing around the wall, no one seated at the steels. I guess it was his job to keep the deadbeats out of the way.

The only person who really fits that description is Don Christianson, the owner or Sierra for many years.
Now if Don was "trying out" some of Davids "material", uhhh... yeah... I could see how that could go way wrong.
I personnally apologize to you for this misunderstanding in the Sierra room.
I enjoyed helping out in that room for several years in the late 90's, early 2000's, and had nothing but great fun demonstrating Sierra S12U's along with Joe Wright and David Wright, and helping Sierra players with adjustments on their steels (I even took parts off of my steel to help a guy with a new change he wanted to try on his Sierra), testing multiple modular pickups (I had about a dozen on display for folks to try), ect.
Yes, there were definetly times when there was a jam going on, and trying out a steel at that time was not possible.
As far as I know, every person who wanted to try a Sierra steel got to try one at some point, or multiple points, over the course of the weekend (alot of guys came back a dozen times to test steels, and left on Sunday with a Sierra steel).
Again, sorry for this misunderstanding.
Pete Burak
Portland, Oregon