The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  houston/austin/san antonio
dgoodwin

austin, tx 78738
Post  Posted 6 May 2000 1:42 pm    

I am going to fly into Houston next weekend to attend my daughter's graduation. As will
my wife and mother. We will be spending
Friday and Saturday (May 12 & 13) in Houston, Sunday and Monday in San Antonio, and Tuesday and Wednesday in Austin.

I would appreciate suggestions as to good places to hear honky-tonk or western swing music, with steel if possible. The only name
I have on my list right now is the Broken Spoke in Austin. Thanks in advance for other
possibilities.

Dave Goodwin

[This message was edited by dgoodwin on 06 May 2000 at 02:43 PM.]

Mark Herrick

Bakersfield, CA
Post  Posted 6 May 2000 2:41 pm    

The best thing to do is go to a local record store and pick up the local “alternative/entertainment” newspapers; Austin Chronicle, Houston Press, etc.

In Houston, check out Blanco’s on W. Alabama. (Tom Morrell on July 14!) I think the Satellite Lounge also has country music sometimes.

In Austin, in addition to Broken Spoke, try Jovita’s, Texicalli Grille, Threadgill’s, Little Longhorn, Eno’s (?), Continental Club, Antone’s, Henry’s and I think there is a place called the Hilltop (?).

Don’t know much about San Antonio, but you will be close to Gruene Hall (outside of New Braunfels) and I think there is a place or two out in Bandera.

Again, those local entertainment rags are the best place to find out who’s playing where.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 6 May 2000 4:54 pm    

Sundays and Mondays are slow for country here in Austin; however, I do have a recommendation.

I play at the Sunday night Jam Session at Earl Campbell's On 6th Restaurant, which is a restaurant and bar on 6th St. owned by Earl Campbell (former Texas Longhorn, Houston Oiler and New Orleans Saint).

The jam is fronted by good singer and good friend Brigitte London, and the band usually has yours truly on steel and the great Pete Mitchell on guitar, a former TX Troubadour who left N'ville for love, marriage and the more pleasant atmosphere of Austin TX. Usually occasional Forumite Lynn Daniel plays the excellent bass. Inevitably some of the most talented members of the Austin country music scene show up to sit in and make the evening a total blast.

The jam starts at 8:30. The food is excellent, the bar is well stocked, and the atmosphere is Texan. There is also a ton of clubs in the 3-block radius that has all kinds of music you'd ever want to hear, but country is what's at Earl's.

Earl Campbell's is 2 blocks east of Congress Avenue, just east of Brazos St., next to Babe's Bar and Grill on the north side of 6th St.

Monday nights at the Continental Club, just south of the river on Congress Ave, you can hear the excellent Roger Wallace doing trad. country starting at 10pm. No pedal steel, but the fine Jim Stringer on lead guitar and non-pedal steel, which he is just getting into.

That's all I know that's happening on Sunday and Mondays in the Capitol City.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Homesite

dgoodwin

austin, tx 78738
Post  Posted 7 May 2000 9:15 am    

Thanks, Herb, for your suggestion.

Although it appears that you misunderstood my proposed itinerary, your Sunday night jam sounds interesting enough that I may switch my plans so they conform to the way you interpreted them.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

Dave

[This message was edited by dgoodwin on 07 May 2000 at 10:21 AM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 7 May 2000 10:29 am    

Whoa, Davey!! Not so fast!! If you're gonna be in Austin Tuesday/Wednesday, as I carelessly mis-read , there is a whole wealth of music going on. For country, the Broken Spoke, Ginny's Little Longhorn, The Carousel, Jovita's, and maybe some others all have country bands playing, though not all may have steel guitar.

Tuesday, however, you could see America's Yodeling Sweetheart, the Pavarotti of the Plains, Don Walser holding forth at Jovita's with the usually mind-boggling Scott Walls on steel. Don and Scott are not to be missed if you've never seen them. Forumite Howard Kalish is also on that band as fiddler and lead guitarist. So that is a good bet for ya.

Sorry I'll miss ya on Sunday if you choose not to attend. But on my gig, you can sit in and pick with Pete Mitchell! That in itself is worth something.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Homesite

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 9 May 2000 11:35 am    

Dave,

As Herb says, Tuesday night is a good night to see Don Walser at Jovita's. The music starts fairly early (Herb, what is the start time, 7 or 8PM thru 10PM?). After a good dose of mexican food and Don's yodelin', why not come down to Babe's (stage side). Tuesday night is Lonestar 93 radio's "Lonestar Locals" night at Babes. Lonestar Locals is hosted by Kevin Fowler and three bands play with the first starting at 8PM. I play steel with the Kevin Fowler Band and we start at about 10:30 and play till closing. Many times the other bands will have a steel picker too. Last week Jim Loessberg was tearin' it up with the Hayden Vetera band ( my head is still spinnin' from watchin' Jim pick ((( :0 ))) )

Check out Kevin Fowler's website at: http://www.kevinfowler.com

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn