The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sacred Steel #4 - Aubrey Ghent
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2000 8:35 am    

I just added Aubrey Ghent's CD to the Forum catalog. Click the picture below.

This is a fantastic album. Reverend Ghent is one of the most expressive players I've ever heard, on any instrument. It was all recorded live in the studio, so you really feel like you are there. It was produced by Forum member Bob Stone for Arhoolie Records. Great job, Bob!

------------------
-b0b- ... Click Here for Forum Products
-System Administrator

[This message was edited by b0b on 19 April 2000 at 09:40 AM.]

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2000 10:01 am    

Thanks for the compliments on Aubrey's CD. He is really a great player. Aubrey was the first sacred steel guitarist I documented (1992). My whole concept of steel guitar changed when he played a couple of tunes unaccompanied for me that day. I was goose-bumps all over.

By the way, the Arhoolie method of recording is something I wish was more common in these days of over-produced recordings. We recorded Ghent's album in about 4 or 5 hours, all the musicians in one room. The Campbells were even quicker. In all we recorded 3 albums (Treadway, Ghent and Campbells) in two days--and they weren't long days either.

Being a talented preacher too Aubrey is great with an audience. He really "wrecked the house" at the Sacred Steel convention. One of the artistic directors for JazzFest Berlin (Germany) attended and booked him on the spot for the festival in November.

Aubrey and family moved to Nashville, TN in late March and he plans on doing more touring.

[This message was edited by Bob Stone on 19 April 2000 at 11:05 AM.]