The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sacred Steel Convention
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2000 6:14 am    

Here's the latest press release for the Sacred Steel Convention. Please excuse the hype--this release was written for general readership. The convention hotel is the Langford Resort, 300 East new England Avenue, Winterpark FL 32789. 407-644-3400. Ask for the special Sacred Steel Convention rate of $65 single or double. Hope to see you there. It should be a great time.

Sacred Steel Convention Brings Unique Music to Orlando Area

Gainesville, FL---Masters of the most compelling American musical tradition to be "discovered" in decades will travel from throughout the U. S. to showcase their fiery steel guitar work at the First Annual Sacred Steel Convention at the Bush Auditorium, Rollins College, 1000 Holt Avenue, Winter Park (Orlando), Florida March 31 and April 1, 2000. Among the artists scheduled to perform are the Campbell Brothers and Katie Jackson, who have dazzled audiences throughout the U. S. and Europe with their soulful steeling and singing; lap-steel wizard Aubrey Ghent and Friends; tradition founder Willie Eason, veteran Detroit steelers Ted Beard and Calvin Cooke; Lonnie "Big Ben" Bennett from Rochester, New York; rising star Robert Randolph, whose pyrotechnics never fail to astound; and powerhouse vocalist Natasha Millhouse.

In the late 1930s, Willie Eason introduced the electric lap-steel guitar, played in a manner which closely imitated the African-American singing style, to the spirit-filled, music driven services of the House of God Holiness-Pentecostal church. The steel guitar tradition evolved within House of God unnoticed by the rest of the world for nearly six decades. A series of recordings produced by Arhoolie Records beginning in 1996 brought the soaring, moaning and rocking sounds of the steel guitar played by unknown African-American masters to the public. Critics as well as blues and gospel music lovers the world over have responded enthusiastically. "For American music fans, it's a find like scientist's discovery of a new species," wrote Peter Katel in Newsweek. "It has been decades since anyone in the secular world has played the guitar with this much soul and passion. Deeply rooted and thrilling, this is music for the ages," Elijah Wald wrote in the Boston Globe.

The Convention opens at 5:00 p.m. Friday, March 31 with a talk and photo slide presentation of "A Brief History and Who's Who of Sacred Steel" followed by special tributes to tradition pioneers and concludes with open jamming until midnight. Saturday, doors open at 9:00 a.m. and activities begin with technique workshops by Ted Beard, Chuck Campbell and Robert Randolph from 10:00 a.m. until noon. After a lunch break, a variety of steel guitarists will showcase their talents from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. The convention will climax with an evening concert which begins at 8:00 p.m. A convention pass for admission to all events is $25.00. A Friday night ticket is $5.00, Saturday daytime admission is $10.00 and the Saturday evening concert is $12.00.

Participants may pre-register by sending a check payable to Sacred Steel Convention, to 925 Center Street, Crescent City, FL 32112. For further details call Marcus Hardy at 904-698-2547.

[This message was edited by Bob Stone on 22 February 2000 at 06:17 AM.]

Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2000 7:16 am    

I won't be able to attend your show, but
wish you all the success. I have many
steel guitar friends and customers in the
Florida area. Have you contacted
Claude Brownell? He is not that far away
from you. Claude would be a great addi-
tion to your show. He is a great guy and a
great player, and with his longneck steel
he brought the house down at our Southern Ohio show last year. If I can help in any way, give me a call at 1-800-749-3363
Ed Naylor - Steel Guitar Works

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2000 1:24 pm    

Hi Ed,

Sure, I know Claude Brownell and his longneck steel. He's performed at the Florida Folk Festival, which I have a hand in organizing, for two years running.

The Sacred Steel Convention will feature artists from the House of God,Keith Dominion Holiness-Pentecostal churches, so they will be the only performers. However, the Friday night jam is open to anyone who would like to join in. I know Dan Tyack is coming with his steel. This music is a lot like rock and blues.

By the way, do you recall building a left-handed S10 pedal steel for Anthony Fox of Charleston? He is the principal House of God steeler in South Carolina. I was transcribing an interview with Fox from a couple of years ago and he mentioned you building the steel for him. Small world.

Thanks for your interest and support.

Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2000 6:08 pm    

I remember Anthony. I built him a LEFT HANDED Nashville LTD a few years ago. As I recall he had a very unusual tuning. If you have a tape of him send it to me I would like to hear him. Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works 1-800-749-3363

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2000 6:27 am    

Hi Ed,

Sorry, but I don't have any tape on Anthony Fox. He's a very good player, though--clean and accurate. And, of course, plenty of that House of God soul. That's a great sounding pedal steel you built for him too.