The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stereo Steel?
Joshua Watson

Weatherford, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2011 9:08 pm    

I have had my eye on the Stereo Steel set up for a while now. I have only heard a couple of times and so far I like what I hear. I play fiddle and steel and I want to play them both through a rack mounted system. I am wanting honest feed back on the stereo steel system, good or bad, regarding tonality ( JBL or BW?) and user friendlyness. My biggest question is are they road worthy? Can they take the bouncing down the road in a trailer for a few years before solder joints start coming loose? I have had that problem with my Nashville already and its only 3 years old.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2011 3:02 am    

Joshua....I used one for quite some time ( through 2-15" BW cabs) with great results. One feature that I especially liked was the inputs in the rear of the unit for adding an additional preamp, utilizing only the SS's power amp section. At that time, the group that I was working with called for me to play electric banjo, harp, Dobro, and lap steel, as well as pedal so this feature made life much simpler! Being as this is a rack mounted unit, the use of a shock mounted rack case should help further safeguard your equipment on the road as well. Highly recommended.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2011 7:56 am    

Joshua put some better springs and shocks on your trailer, give your equipment a break. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I feel the SS is very versatile and road worthy, I use 2 1501-4 BW speakers (sometimes) and it sounds great for steel and fiddle. I turn down the treble and presence a little for the fiddle as well as a separate fiddle patch on my FX unit.

Larry Behm

Phone: 971-219-8533

Joshua Watson

Weatherford, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2011 9:07 am    

Fist of all thank you for the help. I did see the patching capabilitys in the back which is a reason I like it. I have yet to find another set up with the same versatility as the SS. Is there any difference in the BWs vs the JBLs? As for the trailer, a previous band I was with had the trailer and it was a POS. I am with a new band now and we are about to get a brand new trailer with dual axles and good suspension.

Joshua Watson

Jim Hollingsworth

Way out West
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2011 10:20 am     Ss

Hi Joshua,
I tried a Stereo Steel at Gerry's house & fell in love with it! I use a gold face (newer model) with two Altec 15" cabs I bought from him as well. That coupled with a TC Electronics effector and I am ready for every gig! It would be EASY to bury the loudest drummer on earth. In fact, Paul Franklin said he got his so he can keep up with Brent Mason's volume levels live! That said, it is a very sweet sounding amp & I also use it with arch top guitars for jazz gigs - it gets the Pat Metheny tones easily. It is very versatile and sounds excellent.

Jim Hollingsworth

Joshua Watson

Weatherford, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2011 8:37 pm    

Thanks guys for the help. I appreciate the advise. I think I am going to switch SS as soon as I can.

Josh Watson

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2011 1:18 pm    

Josh, check your PM,s