The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  S.S.S.G.C. (AR)-Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Us
Lynn Carney

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 2:23 pm    

Thank you for your interest in the SSSGC. The original members of the Siloam Springs Steel Guitar Club were Ivan Ward, Virgil Pittman, and Ray Qualls (Who was key to getting the conventions and club started in 1997. Many thanks for all you did then, and for all you do for us today, Ray.) David Starr, Randy Cockrell, Willard Mullins, Ben Chesney, Don Halsey and Norma Jean Lucas are also charter members. Norma Jean’s brother, Kenneth Place, assisted with finances and was instrumental in getting Joe Wright to be the first headliner to play for the annual convention that year. The renown gentleman, Buck Grantham, joined in 1998.

Past president, Roger Osbourn, deserves much praise and gratitude for his hard work and sincere dedication to this club. Is was Roger who suggested the name change from Northeast Oklahoma Steel Guitar Association to the Siloam Springs Steel Guitar Club.

Bios of our members who attended our August meeting:

Norma Jean Lucas, current (and the first lady) president of the SSSGC, has played a rockin’ bass guitar for 35 years. In the late 60's she played with a smokin' all-girl band, Bunny & the Bandits. She plays and sings with OK Country on occasion, and is a regular with Country Your Way, Springdale Classic Country and at the monthly Hootenanny at the Robinson Community.

Donley Harrington, advisory board member, tells me he has played guitar for about 300 years. Wink He is the leader (and lead vocalist) of OK Country. He also plays and sings at the Hootenanny at the Robinson Community, and guests at Country Your Way. We truly appreciate his excellent back-up and vocals (and coffee and snacks) at our meetings.

Larry Garrett, former president and current vice-president, can play just about anything with strings. Larry started playing steel guitar in 2000. A former member of the original Mustang’s Alley Band and the Little O’ Opry Band, Larry currently plays steel for OK Country, and at the Hootenanny at the Robinson Community. He is a featured guest at Country Your Way, The Little O’ Opry, and other live music venues in NW Arkansas, Missouri and Oklahoma.

Ben Chesney, singer, songwriter and musician, recently released a CD of his original songs: SHE’S MY KIND OF LADY. He plays guitar, pedal steel, violin, piano and bass. During his extensive career, he worked in pre-shows with Jack Greene, Jeannie Seeley, and Cal Smith, and played guitar in shows with Johnny Bond and Johnny Western. Ben’s current band, Chesco River, has earned many fans.

Marvin Meeker, from Lincoln, Arkansas, has played the lap steel for 50 years. He credits former SSSGC president Roger Osbourn with inspiring him to play pedal steel. Six months of lessons from Jerry Roller didn't hurt either. He also plays dolbro.

Gerald Sparks, from Lincoln, AR, has played steel guitar for ten years. He took lessons from Larry Height. Gerald joined the club about six years ago, and is one of our most loyal members.

LeRoy Hittson, our new drummer, is a member of the Hittson Brothers Band. He did a fine job on the drums for our 14th Annual Convention last April. He lives in Fayetteville, AR.

Mrs. Zelpha Ward is the wife of Ivan Ward, our former president and beloved member who passed away in 2003. Ivan played with such greats as Tommy Duncan, Merle Travis, Jimmy Davis, Hank Cockran, and many others. Ivan and Zelpha were married fifty years. We are blessed to have this remarkable lady in our club.

Lynn Carney, public relations, is a freelance author whose award-winning short stories are featured in several recent anthologies and literary journals. An active member of state and national writing organizations, Lynn is currently writing a mainstream suspense novel. Her gift for rhythm and rhyme (and lyrics) comes in handy for one of her other loves: songwriting.

The SSSGC is truly blessed with musical friends who keep this club going and growing. We always welcome new members and visitors to our meetings the 2nd Sunday of each month. Our board and members keep things fun and informal for beginners and pros alike, and our guests enjoy it too.

Our 15th Annual Steel Guitar Convention will be in April 2009, at the Sager Creek Art Center in Siloam Springs, Arkansas.

Members who wish to be featured in future posts, please email me with a brief bio.

Thanks!
Lynn C.

Last edited by Lynn Carney on 21 Aug 2008 11:26 am; edited 4 times in total

ray qualls

Baxter Springs, Kansas (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 4:53 pm    

Lynn, what a nice write-up for the SSSGC members. I have many, many good memories of playing with everyone listed above. After almost 30 years of living in Arkansas, its almost like being home to me again every time I go down there. You guys are doing it right and you have the full support of the KSGA. Ray
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008

Norma Jean Lucas

siloam springs ar
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 5:45 pm    

Again Lynn, I wanted to let you know how proud I am that you are a part of our club and such a fantastic job you are doing! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Larry Garrett

Siloam Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 9:06 pm    

Hi Lynn,

It's always fun getting together with these characters. Lots of laughs, a few stories, cookies and coffee, and even some good music. Thanks for the nice job putting this info together. Well done!

Larry

Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2008 2:57 am    

Another great display of talent Lynn---thanks for putting it to this good use for all to read and enjoy - Smile

Lavelle Pierce

huntsvile,ar 72740
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2008 7:31 am    

i am a member far about 4 yrs they far got me haha

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2008 7:41 am    

My thanks to all the guys and gals for all the hard work putting on the shows! God Bless ya,and thanks for keeping real country music and the steel guitar alive!!

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar

Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2008 3:53 pm    

What a great group of officers representing the SSSGA. These are some of the nicest people in this good old USA. I'm very proud and privileged to be asked to come up each April to be a small part of a great show that this organization produces. Congratulations to all of you. Barbara and I are looking forward to being with you again in April.
...Roy and Barbara

Lynn Carney

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2008 6:37 pm    

Lavelle, our friend, we did not forget you. I featured members this month who were at our August meeting.

You and I have never visited. Please join us in September so that I can interview you and get a photo for next month's post. Smile

Lynn

Lynn Carney

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2008 6:48 pm    

Wow. Thanks everybody for your kind words! I'm truly honored to use my skills to promote such gifted musicians and trusted friends, and to represent this wonderful club.

I'm always inspired by the genuine quality of the people I meet in the "steel family" on this forum, and at our meetings and conventions.

You are a blessing to each other, and to me. Smile

Lynn

Lynn Carney

Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 10:28 am    

bump Smile

Buck Grantham

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 11:53 am     That is a great club

It's always a pleasure to come play with youall up there. Every one is like family to us. The best to all of you .. Love,, Buck & Mitzi