The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey T-60 Six String Guitar
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 6:09 pm    

Yeah, Michael - that's the Phil Upchurch period I'm talking about. Have both those records, just great. He made that T-60 sound like a million bucks.

I forgot about Phil Baugh playing one of these.

I don't know if a Strat or Tele neck would work on one of these. I think I'd rather just try to find one with a bigger neck - there must be some out there. But, of course, they were done on early CNC machines, and all the ones I've tried had a very similar feel. Good quality control, but perhaps that's one of the reasons it's a good thing to have some variation in neck profiles - not everybody needs or wants the same thing.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2008 2:42 am    

I had one back in the mid-eighties, and I couldn't stand the tiny neck. I bought a no-name replacement strat neck from Guitar Resurrection (I was in Austin then) and it was then a really good-playing and sounding guitar, but the weight still did me in.

Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 6:13 pm    

I also bought a T-60 when they first came out sometime in the late 70's. I actually enjoyed the small neck as it reminded me of a Mosrite and I liked the fact that it came with a case. But Holy Moley, after an hour or so of standing playing that heavy thing!! Whoa!
I did like the phase switch too.
I even bought a matching T-40 bass. Wasn't long before I was searching for a place to sit down though. Whoa! I still have them, but I went back to my Telecasters. All in all and for the money, they were great guitars and I do not regret purchasing them. Hartley did a great job building and marketing them.
Wally

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 5:32 am     Gonna Let The Cat Out Of The Bag!

The Peavey T-60 Neck will Bolt Right On A Telecaster Body !!!

But if you are down on the heavy body, remember that body density is where you get the sustain.

Alder and other lightweight bodies will not sustain a note as well as Hard Northern Ash(heavier than Swamp Ash) or other harder and More Dense woods.

Mine is made of Hard Northern Ash body weighs 7 lbs bare.

The Only Picture I have is with The owner, Builder and Player and I apologize for that. Shocked

Also get rid of the Peavey Tuning Machines and Get Some that Will do the Job. I used Schaller Mini's. Duncan Quarter Pounder Pickups, and The Best Hardware I could Find all Around. This is the best Telecaster I have ever owned and The Peavey T-60 neck makes it so. Its still a 25 1/2 inch scale, but the feel of the neck, diameter, etc. is what makes this guitar.

Sorry About The Typos, Shouldn't do anything in the morning Very Happy Shocked

Last edited by John Floyd on 6 Aug 2008 10:21 am; edited 3 times in total

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 8:31 am    

Quote:
This is the best Telecaster I have ever owned and The Peavey T-60 nech makes it so. Its still a 25 1/2 inch scale, but the feel of the neck, diameter, tec is what makes this guitar.

Just shows different strokes for different folks. I'd love to have a T-60 with a good Tele neck. Guess that shouldn't be too hard - it's great that it's a perfect fit.

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 10:08 am     Dave

Maybe we can Make a trade, I'm Always looking for T-60 Necks.
BTW
The T-60 Neck is a Tilt Neck !

Peavey Never Advertised That, Maybe because of Copyrights and Patents. If The Neck Plate LOGO Appears upside down with the hole in the neck plate toward the bridge there is an adjustment for the tilt angle. If the Peavey Logo Appears to be right Side Up, The Neck Plate Needs to be Rotated 180 Degrees to access the Tilt adjustment.
I had to Modify My Warmoth Tele Body With A T-Nut For the Tilt Feature. I voided the warranty in less than 10 minutes after UPS Delivered it. Laughing
John

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 9:38 pm    

John, you REALLY like that Micro-tilt neck????

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 7:33 am    

Stephen Wrote
Quote:

With My Short Fingers Why Wouldn't I? Confused Question

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 10:11 am    

John Floyd wrote:
Stephen Wrote
Quote:

With My Short Fingers Why Wouldn't I? Confused Question

What have short fingers got to do with it?

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 11:09 am    

Quote:

The neck on every T-60 I tried was too small for my obviously longer fingers. Not related to the tilt-neck mechanism, but to the neck itself.

I think tilt-necks got a bad rap because of poor execution by Fender during their ignominious 70s period, especially later in the 70s. To me, the main problem was the poor neck-joint fit, although 3 bolts can be an issue also. But those T-60 tilt-necks have 4 bolts, correct? There's nothing per-se wrong with a tilt-neck if it's done correctly. It just replaces a shim - many Fenders, including older ones, need a shim to get a desired neck angle.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 11:57 am    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
Quote:

The neck on every T-60 I tried was too small for my obviously longer fingers. Not related to the tilt-neck mechanism, but to the neck itself.

I think tilt-necks got a bad rap because of poor execution by Fender during their ignominious 70s period, especially later in the 70s. To me, the main problem was the poor neck-joint fit, although 3 bolts can be an issue also. But those T-60 tilt-necks have 4 bolts, correct? There's nothing per-se wrong with a tilt-neck if it's done correctly. It just replaces a shim - many Fenders, including older ones, need a shim to get a desired neck angle.

Those Peavey necks didn't work for me, at all. Just too small for my hands. The three-bolt Fender necks were just a stupid idea on the part of CBS, IMO. And using the micro-tilt, on ANY neck, leaves an air gap between the neck and body, which is terrible for sustain. I have shimmed Fender necks, and they always felt less solid after being shimmed. But I've also taken a lot of allen screws all the way out of Fender necks, adjusted the truss rod a little, and tightened the neck back down, sans Allen screw. Felt just fine.

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 12:42 pm    

Yeah, I know people who don't like normal neck shims. Best is a very thin wedge shim, which builds up the neck pocket a bit, adjusts the neck angle a bit, and leaves no air gap. But they require skill to make.

But I've had Strats and Teles where the neck angle just didn't work, no matter where the bridge screws were. I had to shim or play with mile-high action. I've seen a lot of bolt-on necks come from the factory with shims.

Quote:
The three-bolt Fender necks were just a stupid idea on the part of CBS, IMO.

Actually, I think Leo Fender was the designer - I think the tilt-neck was one of his "consultant" projects. Seemed to be fine on the G&Ls I've owned, but the neck pockets were tight as a drum. I see G&L has moved to 4-bolt necks the last several years, but I never had a problem with their 3-bolts.

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 4:17 pm    

Stephen Wrote
Quote:
And using the micro-tilt, on ANY neck, leaves an air gap between the neck and body, which is terrible for sustain.

I don't have a problem with sustain on this guitar, Its made of Hard Northern Ash, (7 1/2 lb Body) The Kind They make Louisville Slugger Baseball bats from, Not Swamp ash or Alder, (which is almost like balsawood). I had a new USA B Bender Tele made of Alder, I had put Duncan Quarter Pounder Pickups in it and it had no sustain. These are the same two pickups and The Body wood made the Difference, not the neck Joint. I have found from Years of experience, That if You want Tone and Sustain, You get it from body mass and density. Just Get a Wide Strap and live with the weight. Wink

Also get an Aftermarket Tailpiece/Bridge made of heavy brass, not the traditional Fender one with the Ashtray.

As a matter of fact I quit using a compressor with this guitar, I no longer need it.

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 4:53 pm     Dave is Right, The T-60 neck is a 4 bolt neck.

The G&L Tilt Neck Design isn't bad, in fact there is more solid contact between the body with the allen Screw in The T nut and the truss Rod in the neck which has a lolipop looking device with the truss rod passing thru it and the allen screw from the body making contact with the device.

On the Peavey T-60 neck I recessed a small flat round piece of stainless steel 1/16" thick into the back of the neck for the Allen Screw to make contact with.
That Would Seem to be a more Solid Contact than Wood to wood. (ie.Maple neck directly to Alder body)

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 8:53 pm    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
Quote:
The three-bolt Fender necks were just a stupid idea on the part of CBS, IMO.

Actually, I think Leo Fender was the designer - I think the tilt-neck was one of his "consultant" projects. Seemed to be fine on the G&Ls I've owned, but the neck pockets were tight as a drum. I see G&L has moved to 4-bolt necks the last several years, but I never had a problem with their 3-bolts.

I think you're right, Dave, that Leo designed, and believed in, the tilt-neck concept--all the original G&Ls, designed by Leo, had the tilt-neck. They've only departed from it since Leo's passing. I have an early ASAT with the three-bolt tilt-neck, and it sounds and sustains great--and, as you say, the neck pocket is "tight as a drum". The neck's a bit thin front-to-back for my taste, though.

(On the other hand, the '74 Strat I once owned, bought new when I didn't know any better, was the worst instrument I've ever wasted money on! When I see the prices "vintage" dealers are asking, and, I suppose, getting, for Fenders of this period, I shake my head in disbelief--wish I'd waited longer to sell mine! Sad)

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 11:52 pm    

Yeah, I think you're right about the 3-bolt neck being Leo's idea. The first G&L's had 'em, didn't they?
John, I'll make my swamp ash Tele sustain longer than that guitar of yours. There's a lot of variables when it comes to sustain. String tension, break angle at the bridge, finish on the guitar, string gauge---And the player's technique.

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 7:31 am     OK Stephen, Your The Winner

I give up.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 10:13 am    

john...thanx for the tip (pv neck on a tele..and the steel neck tilt plate). i had a t-60 and loved the neck. now i have a custom b bender tele (non-fender) that needs a neck. wish i still had that other neck, i'd put it on today!! did the neck screw holes have to be redrilled or did they line up?

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 10:39 am     Chris

They Aligned Up Perfectly. There were a Couple of Necks For Sale on Ebay about a week ago.
John

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 11:33 am    

thanx john!

this is great news to me!!

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 11:55 am    

John, I'm not trying to start an argument with you. Obviously, there are different tonewoods, that produce varying amounts of sustain. But weight is not the only consideration. George Harrison's rosewood Telecaster is supposedly dead as a hammer. And I've played Les Pauls that went well over 10 lbs., that would not sustain unless the amp were on 10. And some of the best-sustaining Les Pauls I've heard in recent years were the weight-relieved, or chambered, models. A lot of them with aftermarket aluminum tailpieces and bridges. The brass stuff was pretty much a fad, that died out in the 80's, didn't it? I don't see very many guitars with that stuff on it, these days, and I see a LOT of guitars---Probably as many as you did, when you were the man at Sho-Bud!
But if that guitar works for you, then enjoy it.
Best wishes!

John Floyd wrote:
. I have found from Years of
experience, That if You want Tone and Sustain, You get it from body mass and density. Just Get a Wide Strap and live with the weight. Wink

Also get an Aftermarket Tailpiece/Bridge made of heavy brass, not the traditional Fender one with the Ashtray.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 11:57 am    

Double post, sorry.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 5:57 pm    

As I was scrolling through Michael Lee Allen's Submitted pictures I felt that somehow I had seen it all before. Laughing

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 7:20 pm    

Just a note for all you T-60 fans that this guitar is featured in a write-up in this month's Vintage Guitar magazine. Hartley Peavey and Chip Todd were the brainstorm behind the guitar overall, and Red Rhodes was the engineer behind the electronics to make the concept of combining a Fender and a Gibson a reality. (Note...the article keeps referring to him as Red Rhoads....VERY frustrating).

"(Red) sketched out the answer on an old envelope. The guitar would have two humbuckers with one Volume and one Tone control, with a three-way pickup selector. That covered the Gibson side of things. But what about Fender's single-coils? Rhoads [sic] solved that in a very novel way - rigging the Tone pot to serve as a coil tap. With the Tone control at 10, the pickups were single-coils. Turned down to around 7, the pickups become humbuckers."

These guitars started to be sold sometime in 1978 and around 1982 is when the pickups changed from the toaster style to the blade-style super Ferrite pickups.