The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Parts for a good cause - Progress update
Ron !

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2008 1:02 pm    

Hello fellow forumites.
You probably all are wondering why I gather all these parts and that is understandable.That's why I added this story so you will understand.

Here's the story.

Two months ago a little boy came to my house with his mother Nora.....my wife and Nora go a long way back and Nora told my wife that her husband had left her and she got stuck with all the bills and raising her little son(11Years old).
While she was opening up her heart to my wife I took that little boy into our studio and I showed him where the computer was and how to turn it on(so he could play some computer games).
I walked back to the kitchen to get the little guy a soda and when I came back he was sitting behind the steel guitar.
He asked me all kinds of questions about the instrument and what all the levers and foot pedals were for.I explained everything to him and he asked me if I could play a little.I did and he was in awe about the instrument and the tone for the instrument.
After 2-3 hours they left for home.

Next morning the phone rang......I answered it.It was Nora.She said to me that her little boy talked about the pedal steel guitar all night.
Nora asked me if there was any chance if I could teach the little boy some music...whether guitar or keyboard or pedal steel guitar.I told Nora to bring him over that afternoon and that I would see what I could do.
5.30 in the afternoon there he was..............2 matchsticks high and a smile from ear to ear.He said hi there Ron......I come to learn music from you.
I told him to go to the studio and wait for me.When I came into the studio he was (again) sitting behind the steel.He said to me that the sound of this instrument kept him up all night.....haha.....go figure.
To make a long story short.....

This little boy has more musical skills in his little pinky then I have in my entire body and I am not a bad player at all.I have been teaching him ever since and it is time to get him a steel guitar.
Due to the father of this little boy walking out...his mother has no way to get the little bugger a steel guitar......there for I came up with the idea to build one.It will be my first one in the States that I will be building.

I received several e-mails in which people("Chuck Thompson, David Nugent, Jerry Hayes") donated volume pedals, picks, bars, strings etc etc.
Some donated parts to build a steel guitar."Jim Flynn" went totally out of his way to send me end-plates, keyhead, rollernuts, pick-up, tuning-gear and a changer unit including pillow blocks.
"Robert Matteo" donated a set of steel guitar legs."Gary Rittenberry" donated the pedals for this guitar and I got him a pack-a-seat, amp and cables.

Now all these parts will cover the top of the guitar.What I need to do now is build a cabinet for this project guitar(I don't like the one bought last week...it's warped).But what I need too is the undercarriage.
I am talking about cross-rods, knee-levers(kits), linkage, pull-rods, etc etc.

Now ever since I put this add up on the Steel Guitar Forum I received numerous mails and several people(like mentioned before) donated.

My question to all of you is this........

Is there anyone amongst you here that has spare parts laying around(and you don't use them no more)that I can use to get this little man the steel guitar he has been dreaming of ever since he laid eyes on one.

If you do have some parts that you can spare then please think about this little boy.I promise you that this little man is our future in Country and Western music.He will be big.....and I am not saying this because I think that I can get the parts that way.I am saying it because I know he will be big......

Please people think about this and if you have something you think that will help building this steel guitar for this little boy then please mail me.

You can mail me or PM me through The Steel Guitar Forum.

From the bottom of my heart.........I thank you very much,

Ron Steenwijk

P.S
Sorry for the length of this post but you have to admit....it's quite a story.Here is the last steel I build.An SD-10 with 4x5.

Last edited by Ron ! on 19 Oct 2008 12:29 pm; edited 10 times in total

Ron !

Post  Posted 28 Jul 2008 1:02 pm    

Chuck Thompson donated the following

Ernie Ball volume pedal.
Bar, picks and some strings.

Thank you so much Chuck.

Ron

Last edited by Ron ! on 29 Jul 2008 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ron !

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2008 2:02 pm    

Nobody out there that wants to give a little boy the best present ever?

Ron

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2008 3:10 pm     Parts

Ron...I have ten small button Kluson tuners I would be more than happy to donate. They would require an older Emmons type keyhead that is tapped and threaded for the mounting screws. If you can use these please let me know and I will send them along. Best of luck.

Ron !

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2008 3:46 pm    

David......thank you so much my friend.I just send you a mail.

Ron

Ron !

Post  Posted 30 Jul 2008 11:38 am    

Jim Flynn from "Lone Star Steel Guitars" contributed the following.
Changer, Keyheads, rollers, E66 pick-Up.
I would like to thank Jim Flynn from the bottom of my heart for his generosity.
I decided to make wooden necks for this steel guitar so I will not be needing those.I am looking tho for a set off D-10 End Plates.Condition not important.

Ron

Ron !

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2008 10:55 am    

^up for my 'lil friend^

Ron !

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2008 11:31 am    

My good friend Gary Rittenberry from Rittenberry Steel Guitars donated the pedals needed for this project.
All I need now are the End-Plates and legs and I can get this project started.So if anyone has an obsolete set laying around they don't use please mail or PM me through the forum.

Thank you all so much.

Ron

Last edited by Ron ! on 1 Aug 2008 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ron !

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2008 4:44 pm    

Jim Flynn from "Lone Star Steel Guitars" went a little further then he already did.

Here is the updated list that Jim donated to this project.
changer and pillow blocks,
nut w/ rollers,
BMI keyhead with machines,
three pedals and mounts,
a good 20ohm pickup,
and a set of endplates.

Thank you so much Jim.

Ron

Ron !

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 6:45 am    

Thanks to a lot of goodhearted people like Jim Flynn, Gary Rittenberry, Chuck Thompson, David Nugent I am able to almost start this project.
I corresponded with many of you and want to thank you all for the generous gifts you have given this little steelpicker.

One last request and I am of to the workbench.Is there anyone that has a set of legs laying around they don't use anymore?

If so please mail or PM me.

Thank you all very very much.

Ron

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 9:21 am    

Ron, it's not a direct part of the steel but if you'll let me know where to send it I'll give him a Goodrich volume pedal. It's an older one but it's in good working order.......JH in Va.

Ron !

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 5:24 pm    

Jerry just send you a mail.

Also would I like to thank Chuck Thompson a million for sending his package so quick.
I received it today Chuck and a little guy over here would like to thank you so very very much.He is already pickin' with the picks and bars you send him.

Ron

Ron !

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2008 11:24 am    

Well my mail man delivered me a big package today from "Jim Flynn".
Jim owns "Lone Star Steel".....and the contents of this package was breath taking.Just awesome.
Jim let me (from the bottom of my heart) thank you again for this unbelievable gift you have given a little steel guitarist.This will make one beautiful steel guitar when it is done.

"Robert Matteo" donated a set of steel guitar legs that he acquired from "Lynn Stafford".Thank you so much Bob for believing in this little boy.

Thanks to all these wonderful people am I almost ready to start.I have to find a dealer that can provide me with Curly Maple.I bought a cabinet already but all these parts require a new Curly Maple cabinet.It would be a shame to not make a one of a kind steel guitar.
And if there is anyone amongst you that has an undercarriage that will fit this project then please mail or PM me.

Thank you all so much guys....you are the greatest.

Ron

Steve Hamill

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2008 5:12 pm     Sound?

What about an amp?

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 12:58 am    

how 'bout some pics of the lad w: his steel once he gets runnin'
that'll be moral boost Winking

Ron !

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 10:41 am    

Hey CB....good to hear from ya.Here is a pic from a couple weeks ago.This is me and the little bugger.

Ron !

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 6:54 pm    

Received Jim Flynn's package today and Jim really outdone himself with these parts.The parts are the greatest.

Thank you so much Jim.

These are the parts that Chuck Thompson donated for this project.You to Chuck...thank you so much

Ron

Ron !

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 9:47 am    

Steve hamill might have an amp available.We are getting there.

Thank you all so much,

Ron

Steve Hamill

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 9:50 am     address

Ron,
whats the shipping address. The Deluxe 112 looks to be up for a road trip.

Ron !

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 4:53 pm    

I just received an e-mail from Steve Hamill that he will donate a "Fender Deluxe 112" to my little pupil.
The people on this forum amaze me over and over again with their generosity.This forum is a miracle machine.Never ever in my life have I met people that are so generous.Bless all of you.

Thank you so much Steve....and please thank your friend for me would you?
Here is a picture from the amp that Steve send me.

You guys are the best.

Thank you so much,

Ron

Ron !

Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 1:56 pm    

Although I am well on my way in building this steel guitar, am I still looking for the following parts.

pull rods (e9th part).
    pedal rods.
    pedal bar (any kind).
    knee levers(kits, all pull).
    nylon tuners.
    fret board(10 string).
    pull rod clips.

Some other items come to mind but those have more to do with the sound of the guitar.I have an amp coming in donated by Steve Hamill but I am still looking for effect pedals.If there is anyone that has some they don't use then please mail or PM me through the forum.Non members can reach me at greensburgsound@hotmail.com

Every donation will be highly appreciated by little Jerry and his mother Nora.

Thank you all so much,

Ron

Ron !

Post  Posted 9 Aug 2008 10:02 am    

This is probably the most wonderful day out of a little boys life.I just got of the phone with

Mark Giles

and Mark is going to donate the cabinet for this one of a kind steel guitar.The cabinet will be a lacquer cabinet in either red or blue(I will let the little man decide on that).

A lot of people have seen Mark's beautiful cabinet work here on the forum.His work is the best out there.....especially when it comes to lacquer cabinets.
Thanks to Jim Flynn and Fred Justice who got me into contact with Mark this steel guitar will have a lacquer cabinet.
I cannot point out enough that there are people on this forum that do so much for our community.They go out of their way to get the young generation into playing the Steel Guitar.Right here is living proof of that.
Bless every single one of you guys.

Little Jerry is going to have the most wonderful Steel Guitar, thanks to all of you.
Please check this post from time to time.And if there is anyone out there that has some FX laying around they don't use then please mail me or PM through the forum.
For non members please use this e-mail address.
greensburgsound@hotmail.com

Thank you all so much from the bottom of my heart,

Ron

Ron !

Post  Posted 11 Aug 2008 5:15 pm    

Received today a package from UPS with steel guitar legs that were send to me by Lynn Stafford.

Robert Matteo from OHIO donated these legs to Jerry.These legs are perfect and look great.
Here is a picture of them,

Thank you so much Robert for this donation.

I am still looking for the following.

fretboard.
    knee lever kits..LKL, LKR, RKL, RKR, vertical left.
    pull rods.
    Cross rods.
    Bell Cranks.
    Pedal bar.
    FX pedals.

If you have any of these items laying around and you don't use them then please think about this little boy that likes to play steel guitar.

Thank you all so much guys,

Ron Steenwijk

Ron !

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2008 4:29 pm    

Still on the lookout for the following parts.

fretboard.
    knee lever kits..LKL, LKR, RKL, RKR, vertical left.
    pull rods.
    Cross rods.
    Bell Cranks.
    Pedal bar.
    FX pedals.

Hopefully you guys rub the hand over your heart for this little picker.
I have all the aspects covered besides these parts.

thank you all so very much,

Ron

Tamara James

Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 12:20 pm     fretboard

Bobbe Seymore has fretboards. I'll send the cash and you can order what you need from him. I wouldn't have a clue as to what to order.

BOBBIE'S SHOP

Or use it any way you need to. The youth of today are the future of Steel Guitar. I have no grandchildren, so this is one way I can help pass the music on.

thanks for this opportunity!! Very Happy