The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. A word from SteelRadio.com
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Would you participate in a “Pay-Per-View” type broadcast?
Yes
58%
 58%  [ 14 ]
No
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 24

Author Topic:  A word from SteelRadio.com
Michael Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2008 7:35 pm    

Dear SteelRadio.com Listeners,

I have been reading the Forum, hearing from callers and reading e-mails that some people are not able to make the pilgrimage to the 37th Annual International Steel Guitar Convention this year in St. Louis for one reason or another. Not able to get time off from work, can’t get a replacement for their gig, health problems or the ever-popular high gasoline prices. For what ever reason you have for not being able to attend the “Super Bowl” of Steel Guitar Shows, I am feeling your desire to be there, if not in person…then on the Internet.

I do remember all of the criticisms last year about the hum, the outages and the in general dissatisfaction of our broadcast. Even though there are recordings taken from that broadcast that do not have any hum or other unwanted noises, there were many people who did not appreciate our 2007 broadcast. Since then our equipment has been updated and we have consulted with some of the best engineers for solutions that will make these problems a thing of the past. Our ability to rise to this challenge for this venture makes us strive to make sure that all of the bases are covered. The quality of our limited per gratis broadcast of the I.S.G.C. should be greatly improved and will be airing as normal. Featuring some music from the Main Ballroom and all around the Millennium Hotel as well as interviews and re-broadcasts of some previously aired shows. These shows are second to none and will surely thrill those who enjoy the productions normally found on SteelRadio.com.

With this in mind I’ve talked with Scotty and checked my licenses and found that SteelRadio.com could be able to provide a venue for those who cannot make it to St. Louis this year to still be able to enjoy the greatest Steel Guitar Players in the World doing what they do best, Steeling! And although there is certainly no substitute for being there, “Live” and in person, the very next best thing would be being able to hear the show uncut and uninterrupted with the best musicians on the planet playing the music that everyone wants to hear.

Now here is the kicker…this task is not as easy to do as it sounds! Connections to our regular broadcast is free and open to the World. However, doing this special broadcast will require more than just turning on a Server. It will require a “Pay-Per-View” type connection. We have the technology but it will require a special Server to handle the numbers of people who would like to tune in for as long as they want, as well as make sure that there are no problems or outages. Technicians will have to monitor the signal continuously and watch for any unwanted oscillations. And of course this will be expensive, not only for the server and the station, but for the man-hours needed to accomplish this type of broadcasting.

Before I can offer this option I need to know if there is enough interest in doing this as I am already paying for SteelRadio.com with very little financial help or contributions. Some players, fans and enthusiasts enjoy what we do enough to donate some money in the hope of keeping SteelRadio.com on the air. But this one broadcast could possibly bankrupt the station and curtail the broadcast we all already enjoy. I have created and attached a poll to see if enough listeners would be willing to participate in a “Pay-Per-View” format and, “Go to the Convention without leaving their home.” I must be able to meet the bills when they come in after the biggest weekend in our industry.

I will be monitoring this thread for all questions and comments. I will reply as much as possible to address all inquiries. It is truly a grandiose idea as well as a wonderful opportunity and I do hope there will be enough interest to make this a reality. It will make history and allow people who have never experienced the International Steel Guitar Convention to be a part of the largest convention of its type in the World!

Thank you in advance,

Michael Scott
Owner/Operator
SteelRadio.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2008 8:15 am     Re: A word from SteelRadio.com

Michael Scott wrote:
Even though there are recordings taken from that broadcast that do not have any hum or other unwanted noises, there were many people who did not appreciate our 2007 broadcast.

I think everyone appreciates the 2007 broadcast. I certainly do.

Since you were able to make hum-free recordings last year, why don't you just do that again this year, and broadcast the hum-free recordings? That way you wouldn't have to spend extra money this year for extra equipment, technicians, and engineers. I think people would appreciate hearing a recording just as much as hearing it broadcast live.

Quote:
it will require a special Server to handle the numbers of people who would like to tune in

And if you broadcast the recordings more than once, it would reduce the number of listeners at any one time, so you wouldn't have to spend extra money on a higher capacity server.

Elizabeth West

Surrey, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2008 8:08 pm    

By now it's no secret Ken and I are, and have been contributing to this, The Steel Guitar Forum, and Steel Radio for some years. I do it in hopes that it helps a learner out. As a contributor I would like to put in my two cents.
Yes I would be willing to contribute to the special broadcast only if, we the listeners contribute over all. I've been to St.Louis and seen in person just how much hard work Miss Lana and Michael go throught to try and keep the broadcast on air their in need of a little help here.
I have nothing to loss are gain, if Steel Radio went Bankrupt.The sad part is the new listeners and the the ones to follow will miss out on all the greats and thats sad.
A quote from Michael Scott in a 2006 posting on the forum ."We had just under two million hitsover the four day musical event".
If only half of us contribute just $5.00 or this $5.00 worth lossing Steel Radio.
Just my two cents.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2008 8:38 am    

Considering the ISGC is not too far away, i suggest more of you folks get in here & vote !

i've never been to the convention & have tuned in to Steel Radio since 2002 to get in on it
i would pay to hear this year's edition
recording it & selling the cds w: booklet would be a great way to go

Thanx Michael & take courage Winking

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2008 5:33 pm    

Michael
We just got off the phone and I read the thread. Here's my take on the venture.

You don't have a "well, it depends..." voting option. Smile

Your idea is a worthy one but cynical that I am, I feel that the steel guitar community wouldn't support it enough to justify the expense, so there'd be a negative cash flow from the git-go. I'm looking back at Tom Bradshaw's past efforts, and Russ Rask's magazine, and how the community just didn't want to support them as evidence that, despite the "count me in" and "you've got my vote" crowd here, the actual number of subscribers will be disappointing.

And if the funds for such a project are marginal to Steelradio.com... if it will put SR.C in jeopardy or bankruptcy..., I don't believe the project is worth the risk.

Ventures like that should be attempted with money you can afford to lose, not bet the farm with.

Steelradio.com is great the way it is, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Or at least quit fixin' it while it still ain't broke yet. Wink

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Michael Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2008 6:34 pm     SteelRadio.com Reply

Ernest...I know there were many people who appreciated what we broadcast last year and I’m glad you were one of them. And I am sure there will be many people who will enjoy whatever we do this year. I did not make the hum free recording. It came to me via e-mail from an anonymous source with words of encouragement. The broadcast has only one chance of airing. By a contract that SteelRadio.com has with the International Steel Guitar Convention, I am not able to record what I air with the sole exception of a few of the shows that are running outside the main hall. I would need the technicians and engineers to keep track of the “Pay-Per-View” people who will be tuning in. That’s where the special server would come in. This is s a one-time shot and I must have it right the first time.

Elizabeth...You are our most generous contributor. You and your husband Ken have been for several years now. Even though money is tight all over the world, you find it within your heart to donate without reservations or expectations. I know an independent movie producer who would like to use some of your material in one of their movies has approached you. I don’t know how this is going, but I am proud to be able to provide the medium for your music to be heard. And from the bottom of the hearts of everyone at SteelRadio.com, thank you for all your generous donations. And you are right, if everyone who listens free would donate a few bucks, we could make our radio station much better.

Crowbear...Thank you for your support. We have been dealing with each other for many years and I know you appreciate what we are doing. Our friends in Europe and other countries around the world typically do not get to hear this type of music in their homeland. SteelRadio.com has provided music you normally have to buy and in some cases, in your local language. Again, recording the 2008 ISGC is not an option for SteelRadio.com. Bill Ferguson and his staff has done a fantastic job over the years providing recordings in many formats. These recordings are the property of the Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame and will be made available for anyone who wants to hear them if the H.O.F. ever gets a building to display them as well as the other items donated over the years. There are many things the world would like to see and hear.

Herb...There’s an old saying. “He who forgets to the past, is condemned to repeat it”. You and I have had many conversations worthy of any debate found in today’s political arena. Your points are well worth considering. I know both Tom and Russ and the ventures they had tried in the past. I also know it is possible that there will be people who will try to taint the polling in their favor. It’s a risk that the pioneers in our industry have taken and one I must take myself. I am open minded, but I am not so open minded that my brains fall out. My father took a chance 37 years ago when every one around him was reading from the book of doom. The one thing I cannot deny is that I am my father’s son and I must try what I believe is in the best interest of the masses and not for myself. I have hopes that the members of our community will not tell me an untrue. It is not in my nature to think that someone will lie to me...even though I know it happens every day. I have confidence that the our tightly knit community is more honest than that. I’ll consider adding the extra polling option to the list.

Thank you again, keep your questions coming, and please vote...the poll will only run until August 2nd.

Michael Scott
Owner/Operator
SteelRadio.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2008 8:21 pm     My 2 Cents

Its easy to say it wont, Its easy to say dont, Its easy to sit back and say it will fail. I myself didnt get into the Sound Biz with the thought of getting rich or meeting a star and becoming famous etc. I do what I do because I love the Music, and Musicians. I want to support them and make there job as easy as I can, I once was a Bass player. I believe that many think that Steel Radio and Steel Guitar is a dying art. Some may say that the generation is passing away with out new followers to build the ranks. I dont believe thats true. Ive worked with Micheal and we have brainstormed many nights doing our best to improve the Steel Radio broadcast and ensure that many who cant be there can still listen in and enjoy this wondeful genre of music. I too belive that a small donation would greatly help the staff and ownership do an even better job of bring this music to anyone who can get on the internet. We are supplying equipment and Ideas and thats whats needed, helpful information and ideas exchanged to improve and help provide a service. Its easy to complain and whine and all that BS, Its alot harder to bring real ideas and working capital to the table to keep this alive. Im a newby to your wondeful world of music, and yes many of the greats may have passed into the Hall of Fame of Heaven, Steel Radio needs to grow and that will bring listeners, and those that want to learn, and buy and attend.
I hope that youll get behind Micheals effort and contribute even in a small way.
Many of you have been on the radio, know engineers ,are engineers and your input is appreciated, your skill and knowledge is welcomed, But remember its a FREE service and with a small budget there is only so much that can be done.
I hope youll help and continue to support the Steel Radio staff and station.
https://www.facebook.com/Pearlprocase