The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ralph Mooney w/ Marty Stuart
Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2008 5:52 am    

The other Mooney thread reminded me that I didn't think I'd ever seen this album mentioned here before...

"Let There be Country", by Marty Stuart; it's got great Ralph Mooney steel all over it! It was recorded for Sony in 1987 but Sony didn't release it at the time (it was right before Marty started his string of hits at MCA), they finally put it out in 1992 to cash in on his success. Then it came out on CD a few years back with no publicity and crappy packaging (no notes or credits at all) and it kinda fell through the cracks. But this is one really good country album and an absolute must IMHO for Mooney fans. He's really featured and sounds great, I think it's my favorite recording of Moon since his early days in California and that includes all the Waylon stuff (which I really like too). I totally missed this great album myself all these years until a friend I play with sometimes gave me a CD recently to learn some songs; it had Marty doing the great old Haggard song "Mirrors Don't Lie" and I wondered what album it came from, and who was playing the great Mooney-style steel (I thought it might be the late great Gary Hogue). So I got online and looked it up...

I'm sure some of y'all know this album but it's new to me!

I got it here for less than 6 bucks...

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=5662479&style=classical

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2008 10:07 am     CD

I ordered the album! Was I the only one? They said one copy was available & they confirmed my order.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2008 10:41 am    

I ordered a used copy off of Amazon.com $3.49 + three buck shipping. Thanks for the tip Pete!

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Josh Haislip

Midland, Texas
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2008 1:11 pm    

I have the album. It is great, classic Moon up front and loud in the mix.

Oh yeah I also have a border collie who's official registered name is, "Ralph Mooney the dog."

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2008 1:29 pm    

Thanks for letting us know about this Pete. In my opinion, the combination of Mooney and Stuart is a perfect match. I know from talking with Kenny Vaughan in Stuart's band that they are all #1 fans of Mooney. I was sort of shocked to find out how big fans they are of the west coast sound but after thinking about it, it really made sense. Stuart's band is #1 in my book, and Marty himself carrys the mantle for real country music, although some would disagree. I'll order this album immediately. Good find.

Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 6 Jun 2008 1:34 pm    

ditto. Thanks Pete.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2008 3:51 pm    

I just ordered a new one from Amazon for $5.51 including shipping..Thanks a lot Pete. Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2008 7:48 am    

Great tip for us Mooney fanatics. I'll be ordering a copy, too. Thanks for the tip!

On a side note, Kevin, Kenny Vaughan was a good friend of mine in the late 70's/early 80's in Denver. We played many shows together with our punk/new wave bands. He already had his trademark pink Strat back then. Funny how many of us "graduated" to country music. If you happen to see him, please tell him I said hi.

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2008 2:26 pm    

No thanks necessary of course, I hope y'all like it too...

I really expected more people to join in here that already knew the album, and Josh Haislip is the only one; I guess it's even more "under the radar" than I thought.

I've sure been turned on to lots of good stuff here that I didn't know by different forumites, so I'm glad to be able to return the favor.

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2008 8:24 pm    

Don't mean to get off topic here,but you guys just proved you don't have to shell out big bucks to get GREAT music,Years ago I bought [in my opinion] one of the best bebop jazz guitar album ever made.Jazz Winds From A New Direction by Hank Garland,with a young Gary Burton.Bought it for 99 cents in a cutout out been.DYKBC.

Thomas Johansson

Sweden
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2008 10:43 pm    

I bought `` Mirrors don´t lie´´ as a 45 rpm , with Freight train boogie on the flip side in 1988 when I was living in California and I remember how I waited for the album to be released. It was printed on the label``taken from the Columbia lp Let there be country FC 40829´´. But they never did , not until 1992 when Sony decided to release it on CD. By the way , Frank Arnett is also listed on steel along with Mooney.

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2008 10:25 am     Not Enough Mooney!

Well? I wonder if I'm the only one thats disappointed with this CD? Naturally I'm a very long time Mooney fan. However, Ralph is not all over this one, Just a snipit here & there! But Marty does a good job,

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2008 11:00 am    

Some of that may be Frank Arnett playing.

Al, do you know Frank Arnett? Is there a chance he is the same person as Ralph Mooney, just as Leon Russell used the name ______ on his country album?

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2008 12:24 pm    

Hi Chris! I never heard of Frank Arnett & I'm sure if Mooney ever used another name, it would be failry common knowledge? By the way, Hows old #3 ?

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2008 1:08 pm    

Frank Arnett and Ralph Mooney are NOT the same person...Frank lives near Nashville and is a great steel player in the Mooney style...I once hired him on a project where we needed that style...he did a great job!I haven't seen him in about 20 years.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2008 1:14 pm    

Track listing
1. Let There Be Country
2. Mirrors Don't Lie
3. Matches
4. Last Train Done Gone Down
5. Be Careful Who You Love (Arthur's Song)
6. Old Hat
7. Get Down On Your Knees And Pray
8. I'm A One Woman Man
9. Stone Blind
10. I'll Love You Forever (If I Want To)

Details
Contributing artists: Emmylou Harris, Mark O'Connor, Roland White, Vassar Clements
Producer: Marty Stuart
Distributor: Bayside Record Dist.
Recording type: Studio
Recording mode: Stereo
SPAR Code: n/a

Album notes
Personnel: Marty Stuart (vocals, guitar, mandolin); Flip Anderson (vocals, guitar, piano, keyboards, bass); Emmylou Harris (vocals); Jody Maphis (guitar, drums); Jack Clement, Curtis Allen (guitar); Gove Scrivenor, Warren Haynes (slide guitar); Ralph Mooney, Frank Arnett (steel guitar); Roland White (mandolin); Vassar Clements, Mark O'Connor, Stuart Duncan (fiddle); Paco Shipp (harmonica); Michael Rojas (piano, keyboards); Roy Husky, Jr., Michael Coleman, Leon Watson, Jim Hill (bass); John Sturdivant, Jr., W.S. "Fluke" Holland (drums); Kenny Malone (percussion); J.D Sumner, Melissa June Prewitt, Barry Tashian, Allen O' Bryant (background vocals).
Recorded at The Cowboy Arms Hotel & Recording Spa, Woodland Sound Studio and Germantown Recording Studios, Nashville, Tennessee; Arlyn Studios, Austin, Texas.
Digitally remastered by Randy Kling (DiscMastering, Nashville, Tennessee).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2008 7:40 pm    

Tim Whitlock, that is a small world. I had the pleasure of talking to Kenny for a solid hour after a show the we opened for Marty. I was sort of shocked at his punk background but it really made sense since Kenny has such an open mind and is a very accomplished player on many styles. It's amazing that you were in the Punk band with him. He is about my favorite Tele player next to Marty. I was very gratified that he understood my devotion to Tom Brumley and The Buckaroos. He recognized my ZB steel and we had great conversation about west coast style and Ralph Mooney in particular. The Forum is a great place to bring people together. Marty Stuart is a west coast sound fanatic also with much respect for Mr. Mooney.

Al Moss

Kent,OH,USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2008 1:01 pm    

Thanks for the heads up on this title. I had a comp copy from years ago resting, forgotten on the shelf. -just listened again, for the first time, and really enjoyed it.
Whoever it is, Mooney or Arnett, is playing some really fine steel and a special spice is the, (-guess it must be), Warren Haynes cameo with some sweet, clean Stratocaster sounding slide on the quasi bluegrass instrumental.

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2008 1:17 pm    

FWIW: As I mentioned in my original post, the budget CD that I got had NO liner notes or credits. The website where I looked it up only listed Mooney on steel and I wasn't aware that Frank Arnett also played on it until the later comments in this thread; since most of the steel is in very much a "Mooney" style I don't feel too foolish for believing it was all Mooney when I first heard it.

But sorry to anyone who feels misled by my enthusiasm...

I still really like the album (it's been on constantly in my car all week) and ALL the steel on it, so now I'm a Frank Arnett fan too! Smile