The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ? about pots
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2009 3:12 pm    

I have what I believe is a bad pot in a 2 p/up standard 6 string guitar [s/c]. No pickup selector or tone controls, vol. only.

The 2 pots are stamped B500K. I'm looking online at a source that shows these, but they state the B designation is of linear design v. the A code specifying audio type. They offer both, so I just want to verify which is required, even though that is the installed model in the guitar.

I have emailed them, but haven't had a reply.

My question is this: Is their information correct and if so, would this application require a linear pot? I was under the impression that audio taper was the correct design for volume pots.

I'd appreciate input from those of you that are knowledgeable in this area of electronics.

Thanks in advance.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2009 4:56 pm    

"B" is linear, "A" is logarithmic.
Logarithmic is what's used for Volume on an amp, while linear is used for Tone and Balance controls.

In a guitar you'd like to fine-tune volume (output from each PU) fairly close to full output, and for that linear is fine while logarithmic is not very practical - too much audible change for small movements near the top. Thus, you should replace the pots in your guitar with linear ones, same as the "B500K" you have.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2009 5:04 pm    

Thanks Georg.