The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Freddie's reverse chimes
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 12:44 am    

Not having success exacting a specific example of Freddie Tavares' harmonics in which he rakes all the strings from the top down on a 6 string tuning, (top to bot. EBG#EDB, E7?), getting all to ring fully, bar at the 9th fret.

Anybody have experience in executing a move like this, or actually know how Freddie did it?

While experimenting with a friend, he was able to approximate it occassionally with a first finger pick drag while cascading down with the palm's edge making the chime contact, but not me, not yet.

Mark Vinbury

N. Kingstown, Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 8:46 am    

I can get it with my little finger tucked under and making the harmonic.The outside of the little finger and its knuckle take the place of the edge of the palm.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 10:24 am    

Thanx Mark, but I need to examine your response a bit.
Are you saying you get the entire set of strings in one fairly quick downward cascading strum, or just the typical single note knuckle chimes, done fast, which won't produce the particular sound Freddie'e getting?
Are you using your thumbpick?
If so, that probably ain't it, as the thumbpick's design can't handle the slightest backward pressure without dislodging a bit, unless held in place with a finger which is quite awkward.
A fingerpick is the usual way to do a reverse strum, so I'm assuming this needs the same, but maybe I'm missing a pertainent point.

Unfortunately, I can't provide an audio example to illustrate.

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 10:55 am    

Hi Ron,

On what song and album is Freddie using this technique?

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 11:33 am    

Ron. not to take issue with you, but are you certain it was the 9th fret and not the 7th?.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 12:01 pm    

Derrick, it's a less than a minute in-between songs ditty that is on a tape of Willing/Sagers transcriptions which is most likely unique to these recordings.
I'll bring it by tomorrow and let you take it home for a few.
Maybe you can post it here for me.

Jody, please take all the issue you wish, I value your input tremendously, and you may be correct as I worked out the tuning to match the recording and timbre as best I could late last night and havn't had time to experiment further given I was perplexed with the harmonic thing til way past bed time. But it'll be first on my list when I get home.

[This message was edited by Ron Whitfield on 07 August 2006 at 01:02 PM.]

Mark Vinbury

N. Kingstown, Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 12:35 pm    

I guess what I'm doing is the "typical single note knuckle chimes" but played by struming toward myself with the forefinger pick. The little finger knuckle crosses the string at the same time as the forefinger pick.
I haven't heard the example you mentioned so am only guessing at what your trying to get.Which means I probably should stay the heck out of this thread.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 12:41 pm    

It's not picking BEHIND the bar by any chance is it ?

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 12:54 pm    

Mark, I'll be trying what I gleaned from your post, so even if it wasn't 'correct' it gave me impetus to try it, as I dismissed it last night. Much appreciated.

Bas, if harmonics can be had behind the bar, maybe so.
Please explain.

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 1:35 pm    

If it is picking or strumming behind the bar
It would without a doubt the Eight (8th) fret

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 1:49 pm    

5th 7th or 12th I think

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 2:18 pm    

Baz
A fine steel player like yourself and you "think"? Try it, I have and found it literally impossible. But then again, Freddy was always full of fun and tricks

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 2:28 pm    

Well I'll be..I get those on 7 8 9 and 10 and natrually 12th Baz you are something else and thank you.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 2:43 pm    

Ron, I think its what I do on this tune at 1:37
Jody, I don't have half the 'tricks' that are up your sleeve, and even with all my fancy guitars, I think I'd find it impossible to do what you do. Of course when I get nearer your AGE, maybe I will get to know more !!!

Quote:
A man is as young as the woman he feels

[url=http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/multimedia/mp3/Basil%20Henriques%20and%20The%20Waikiki%20Islanders/Waikiki%20Islanders%20Live%20Vol.2/07%20How%20dya'%20Do.mp3]Check this at 1:37[/url]

[This message was edited by basilh on 07 August 2006 at 03:44 PM.]

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 2:48 pm    

At the very end of Sleepy lagoon in the first few seconds of this clip it's at the 5th fret ... C double octave. Is that what you mean Ron?

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 6:07 pm    

Luck is not with me this afternoon and it looks like viewing youtube at the moment is out of the question, but...

Bas, I was able to listen to your audio only clip and I believe you are referring to (what I thought you might be) that 'big crazy' sound obtainable only(?) at one particular precise point midway on the fretboard when strumming/picking behind the bar. I don't have the talent to apply that unique sound for anything, so I don't do it and have forgotten exactly what fret it is, and right now it's not important as the chimes I'm referring to are your basic chimes, albeit ala Freddie. He sets it up with a quick 6 string set of top down harmonics, probably picked as most of us are accustomed (palm, finger, or knuckle) then gives us the beautiful top down strum of harms. This is were I'm befuddled. Nothing extra special in the sound (from a supreme talent that is), it's simply accomplished in a reverse manner I can't exactly figure out.

As I stated earlier, a friend was able to get it close at least once by dragging the first finger pick down the strings with his palm dragging in perfect unison to enable the harmonic of each string to ring in procession and having all strings sing together when completed.

I need an asprin.

Without the audio example, it's hard for me to articulate my point. Hopefully, that can be accomlpised in a day or two.

Thanx for CHIMING in!

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2006 10:08 am    

Got it last night.

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2006 11:08 am    

I believe there was mention of that strum effect in an HSGA news letter some years back, but don't remember if it described the technique for doing it, and I'm too lazy to look for it.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2006 11:51 am    

You go Bill!