The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  hi ???????
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2008 4:19 am    

If Emmons are so great why is Buddy Playing a Zum????????? A lot of the big players are putting Emmons Pickups on the Zum for better sound. I know Larry Sasser did it and others.
Emmons has a great sound, but so do a lot of others, there are so many great steels being made it is very hard to say this one is best.
I think best is what works for each one of us.
There is a feel and the way one is setup they feel different from one to another.
In St. Louis I played a Derby, if money had been there I would have brought it home.
Also the Fulawka also was great. Then later at the helm of a Jackson that was another winner.
So many guitars so little time, glad I started in 1942 with a Harmony with a nut under the bridge, for a 12 year old that was great, THEN, then later a Oahu, Nan played a Fender plywood 6 string, she sure was pretty behind that guitar, stole my heart, and still has it.

ernie

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2008 10:02 am    

Steel guitars are like ANYTHING else,If every body liked the same thing there would be only ONE brand.Look through the old steel mags at the ads,Every builder says theirs is the BEST.I'm sure they all feel that way,you have to toot your own horn to be noticed,The same for tone bars,strings,amps,What's the BEST guitar,a Strat,tele,or a Paul,Which car do you perfer a Chevy or a Ford,Over the years I haved owned,Sho-Buds,ZB'S,Derbys,Zums,Fenders,Emmons,Deckelys,For the last three years have been playing a MSA D-10 CLASSIC,All the guitars I mention above were all GREAT guitars,But I love my MSA,Of course that's just MY opinion.There is no BEST of anything,except what works for YOU,DYKBC.

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2008 10:52 am    

CHANGE! Smile

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2008 12:33 pm    

Quote:

If Emmons are so great why is Buddy Playing a Zum?

If 90% of people agree that homebaked bread tastes alot better than store-bought, how come they all buy their bread at the store ?

-John

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2008 1:41 pm    

Cause they're too lazy to bake...

Mike Winter

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2008 2:45 pm    

Or they're too baked...

Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2008 9:46 pm    

I've pretty well come to the conclusion that there's no best when it comes to steel guitars, there's only different. They all sound great when played by a master.