The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need advice re new recording mic
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2008 3:16 pm    

I ended up buying the MXL mic kit. It includes the 990 vocal condenser mic, the 991 instrument mic and the audio buddy which is the preamp with phantom power.

I threw together a song with a karaoke track as background.
http://www.mediafire.com/?ebznfmkzyip

This recording was done with the vocal mic in a shock mount. I had the pop screen 3" from the mic and my mouth about 8" from the mic.

I need your opinions on this test run. Please give the song a listen.

To me, the result was so-so but what do I know? Nothing. It was recorded with Audacity with no editing or enhancing whatsoever, either on vocal or music.

- To me, it sounds like my voice has too little presence. It's more than lack of volume. Something else I can't put my finger on as to correct it.
- Things are too 'soft'(?) Listen to Guess and loneliness. The S is hardly there, more like a weak 'th' sound.
- I do have a soft voice when it comes to volume, but I feel that this problem is more than just that.
- How would I correct these problems?

-Mic went into preamp of course, then preamp out was plugged into the mic input on the sound card.

Potential problems with Audacity and the mic/preamp.
- Of course I have to have phantom power on. But I have to be SO careful with the gain setting. The song was recorded with the setting on 9 O'clock, with 7 O'clock being totally off.

-Mic recording volume in Audacity could only be set at 02, which is hardly anything. Any higher and it would distort.

Opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Bent

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2008 3:35 pm    

Very Happy Here's the way that I hear it.First your vocal is too far down in the mix,Get a little bit closer to the mic.You're right about not enough presence.Try more highs on the EQ and add some reverb.That's my take.Let's see what others think. Very Happy ..PJ

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2008 4:22 pm    

Thanks PJ...ok let's have it...
EQ?? is there EQ in Audacity?

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2008 4:27 pm    

Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question, but you're not singing into the top of the microphone, are you? The MXL 990 is a side-address microphone, and there's definitely a right and wrong side. The front should have a cardioid symbol. It won't work to sing into the other side.

Just a thought...

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2008 4:40 pm    

Not dumb at all...it could easily be done. But no, I am singing into the side...the right side
By the way it is only the 991 that has the symbol. The 990, you go by the MXL logo. I even checked with a flash light in thru the grille.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 12:58 am    

Bent, are you recording the vocals to a separate track?
are you using headphones , can the mic pick up the backing track?

If you put the backing track on track 1 in Audacity.
Record your voice to track 2.

Use headphones to listen to the backing track and your voice.

Don't play anything through your speakers while recording.

You can then adjust the mix to what you think is right.

Now bounce the two tracks to another track, if this is possible in Audacity.
Delete the backing and vocal tracks , save the new track .... it would be impossible to get a decent recording otherwise....JR

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 6:47 am    

John,
Yes, recording to a separate track
Using headphones. Mic cannot hear tracks
Yes. I am running the backing track in 1 and my voice in 2
I didn't bounce the tracks per se, but when I converted to mp3, Audacity told me that it made a stereo track. Is that the same?

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 7:41 am    

Bent, there is a lot of distortion on the vocals or the backing track, something is overloading.
Can you send me the backing track and the vocals as separate tracks mp3 format and I will have a look at it.don't use any effects when recording the vocals ...John

Richard Durrer

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 8:15 am    

I have used Audacity on my YOUTUBE recordings, etc. I run my sound from the board into the Line-IN on my sound card, not the mic input. Articles I have read suggest to not use the sound card mic-in slot. The line-in may give you a cleaner sound. Just a thought. Regards, Rich.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 12:25 pm    

John, How do I record it so that you end up getting two separate tracks? It has to be converted to mp3 right? Once that's done, I suppose that the mp3 tracks are blended.
I'll email you from here. Need your email addy to send you the song.
Thanks for your offer to help, John
Bent

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 1:36 pm    

Bent, you must already have the backing a separate file.
When you have recorded the vocals,, delete the backing a save just the vocal track as mp3.

if the backing track is in mp3 format then send that as that well, but as two separate files.

If the backing track is not mp3 format then pop it into the recording program and save as mp3...JR

turkey89@hotmail.com

Richard Durrer

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 4:00 pm    

If you have two tracks in Audacity, ie. the first is your backing track and the second is your vocal, you can export the files separately. Just select the the track you want to export by placing the cursor on the vocal track at the beginning, choose Edit-> Select-> Cursor to end, and choose Export Selection as MP3. You can do the same with the backing track if necessary.

Ulf Edlund

UmeƄ, Sweden
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2008 6:35 am    

To me that doesn't sound to bad for a straight-from-the-mic unprocessed sound.
A little comression and some eq and you should be there.
When you work with a neutral high-end $$$-mic for the first time it's not unusual that one will experience them a bit "dull" sounding at first too, but when you start mixing and working with the sound you'll notice how nice it works.
Don't worry about the absence of S's. The trouble is usually the opposite, to get rid of sharp S-sounds.

The whole signal chain is important. The difference between soundcards can be night and day.

Uffe

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2008 4:06 pm    

Sorry, guys. I have been out of commission for a day. Still am. Had to format my hD and am slowly getting back to normal. What a pain.
John..Will do what you said re the separating the files as soon as I get all my files back from the portable drive

Richard, thanks for the tip re the line-in connection. That COULD be all that's needed. We'll see when I get all my drivers and configs back

Uffe, Yes it was straight without any edits whatsoever. My main beef is the lack of presence on my voice.
Another one is what John said, there is some distortion because of the very sensitive recording volume settings. 1/16th of a turn up on the gain control and it would distort. ..1/16 down and it would be too week.
I am gonna try what Richard suggested about using line in for sure.

Stand by..and thanks so far
Bent

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2008 11:53 am    

Ok guys,
First off, Uffe, It was true what you said. I plugged the preamp out into a line in, instead of the mic plug-in on the sound card. It works a lot better. Now, at least, I can turn up the gain on my preamp.
Still though, the recording volume in Audacity is very touchy. The level seems too low so I turn it up a hair and it distorts. If I get the correct level set, it will distort if I sing a bit stronger into the mic.

Things seem just TOO sensitive.

Workin' away at it....

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2008 6:35 am    

After reading up a little bit on pre amps, I have come to the conclusion that the preamp unit that came with my MXL mic kit is inferior.
Therefor I am wondering if I have any hopes of improving my recording sound,I should invest in a better pre amp.
I read Dean's thread about the Mic200.
I also read Earnest Cawby's assessment and was impressed.

I would appreciate input as to any experiences with the included pre amp (AudioBuddy) in the MXL kit and if I might be correct in my initial assessment.

Also,if more people would give me their opinion on the Mic200. If someone has a used unit for sale, I would consider buying it.

I have come to understand that a quality preamp for condenser mic is a very important part of the whole picture.

As always, ya'll's input is very much appreciated.

John Roche, I am holding off on sending you the song. It sounds horrible and seeing as how I might have a better handle on things now, I will spare your ears the grief. But thanks for your kind offer to help. Laughing Laughing

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2008 7:11 am    

Bent, If you can get a Alesis fire wire mixer it would solve all your problems. You can record multi tracks at the same time, plus you can have reverb on your voice while recording without it recording the reverb so that you can add your own fx's later.
As for the sending me the tracks I am still willing to do that and do a very good job on mastering them for you, you would be amazed at the sound I can get..I'm not blowing my own trumpet here but this is what I do..JR
here is a link
[url]
http://www.alesis.com/multimix8firewire[/url]

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2008 9:51 am    

John,
Thanks for the url re Alesis. It sounds like a great machine but is a bit over my budget. But who knows? Maybe I will be able to pick up a used one.
I have also read about the Presonus Audio interface...Is the Alesis also the same kind of Audio interface only better? I mean, is it made so that you can use it instead of your sound card? So many things that are unclear to me. Something about old dogs and new tricks Smile

Yes, I will send you those song files, no matter how bad I sound. It will be great to see you work your magic... Sound is an interesting subject for sure.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2008 12:23 pm    

Bent , the Alesis once plugged in to your computer via Fire wire becomes your soundcard,have a read here..
[url]
http://www.alesis.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/1171/tt/5[/url]

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2008 7:26 am    

Bent , the files are mixed and mastered , check mail

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2008 9:13 am    

Thanks so much John! Email coming right up.