The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  John Roche - Nice Guy, Nice Job
Jim Eller

Kodak, TN (Michigan transplant)
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2008 5:07 am    

A while back I asked for help on this forum ripping a DVD that was made of our band. John replied back and said that he would be willing to help, and did he ever.

I sent a copy to the other side of the pond not knowing what would happen.

I got the final products back yesterday and I can say I am very happy with John's work. He was half way around the world from me but got the job done in a very respectable time and communicate throughout the project like he was a neighbor.

The final audio and video CD and DVD's are just what I was looking for. They look and sound better than the original.

If you should need any audio/video work done, send John an e-mail. Don't let the fact that he's not in your backyard stop you.

Thanks John Roche for a job well done.

Jim Eller
Kodak, TN

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2008 5:21 am    

Jim , thanks it was a pleasure to be able to help. I hope everything was up to standard . Give my best to the rest of the band. John

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2008 12:25 pm    

Let me add my voice to this thread.
John just helped me tremendously when he took my song and gave it the professional treatment..and what a treatment!
People like him never cease to amaze me. John applied his expertise to a project that he had offered to help me with in the first place..no asking from me...he did it out of the goodness of his heart.
It boosts my confidence in humankind once more.

Thanks John!
Bent

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2008 2:51 pm    

Bent , It was my pleasure, I am willing help anyone that needs help on this forum.I know that sometimes I am out spoken with my comments but that's is how I am,

I have a certain know how with audio, that's the field I work in. but the forum is like a family to me, when someone needs help I like to give them a helping hand I try to reach out and put them on the right track, just as we all would do if they were a son or daughter .

I admire anyone who gets off there ass and has a go.
Bent has a wonderful voice and would be a sin not to assist him to get the best out of it.
So if anyone needs any help in the audio field I am here to help..JR

Richard Durrer

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2008 11:27 am    

Hi John. I have been following this thread re: the work you did for Bent with great interest. I have done a bit of home recording and would be curious to hear what steps you use in the process. I tried AAMS once but didn't purchase yet. Currently I record the rhythm track to Track1 in Audacity or Reaper, then record my steel on track 2. I will then balance the mix using an EQ, and maybe compression. Then I put a hard limiter on the Master track at 0.0 Db, then render to a stero wav. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rich.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2008 1:01 pm    

Richard, what your is correct to a point.I use AAMS for each track before mixing,that will Compress / EQ / Loudness.
On the backing track I would do a small dip around the frequencies of the steel track, this will give space for the steel to be heard without having it to loud.
add reverb to the steel track, mix down to stero and save , again I put it through AAMS using a suitable REF for final mastering.the REF file can be made in AAMS with any steel track you like the sound of.
Have a good listen to check everything is OK, check with speakers not headphones . I use Audition as I think it's the best and easies program to record with.
Here is a link for vocal mixing, much applies to the steel.. JR
http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_record_vocals.htm

Richard Durrer

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2008 1:24 pm    

Thanks John. This is very helpful. I understand most of it and I checked TweakHeads. I have already been using him as my source for sound stuff, etc. There is so much to learn. I run the sound system every Tuesday for a church here. I use a 32 channel Peavey board and do some recording of sermons, etc. At home, I record my steel. However, I am not quite sure what the "Steel Frequencies" are that you refer to in the "dipping" of the rhythm track? Thanks again. Rich.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2008 1:40 pm    

Richard, dipping is nothing more then using a ten band EQ and dropping 3 of the band around where the steel sit's on the the steel track, you could call it making room for the steel.here is a photo of what I mean, this just to show you what I mean, I always start around the 1k mark and work around there , it only e slight dip that is needed..

Richard Durrer

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2008 2:24 pm    

Excellent. Thank you very much. I will certainly give this a try. Can you get reasonable results without using AAMS, or is it pretty much a required step? Any other tool that could be substituted for AAMS that would be cheaper? Thanks.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2008 2:40 pm    

It's a poor mans mastering suite. if you want it mastered correctly it would cost a lot money, it does a great job . i would not use anything else..