The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Springfield Guitar Company.
James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2008 10:27 am    

I stumbled upon this forum the other day, and whilst reading, noticed Ken Byng and others mention my name. So I thought I would join and let them know I am still around.

Although the company no longer manufactures instruments, the Guitars continue to sell and be used, 30 years later. One S10 sold on Ebay last week for £570 to a buyer from Finland, the seller tell's me another sold in January for £900. I always took pride in my work and it's good to see that paid off for the Players and Customers.

As for myself, I played in bands up to around 1995 then left the scene putting my Guitar away. Just recently I got it out, dusted it down and getting ready to enjoy myself again. This seems like a good place to start.

Like to hear from anyone who knows me.

James Kerr.

Jim Gorrie

Edinburgh ~ road works congestion capital of The World.
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2008 11:36 am    

Hello James ~ or, as I remember you -- Jimmy.

You'll probably not remember me as we only met on a handful of occasions, but here are a few of my memories of Jimmy Kerr and the Springfield Guitar Company.

Way back in the late 70's when I had never even seen a real pedal steel up close and personal, a Springfield was the first I ever clapped my eyes on. It was a double 10 that just shortly before you had sold to Davie Smith from Inverkeithing (it may have been North Queensferry ? ) We met at the Forth Road Bridge and you took me to Davie's house where for the first time I actually touched a PSG ! At the time I only knew that I loved the sound of a pedal steel although I knew nothing of music theory, chords etc. but I do remember Davie told me to place the bar over the 3rd fret, pick strings 8, 6 & 5 then push down on the 2 furthest "west" pedals ! Although I could hear the change I didn't really understand back then what I had just done. Funny the things we remember !

On another occasion when I visited your workshop in Livingston I recall you sitting behind another steel, and to demonstrate its' hard durable finish you stubbed out your cigarette on it, then wiped away the ash ~ there was not a sign of any damage. I was impressed !

At that time there was no way I could afford to buy a commercially built steel and I had to embark on the road of self building. Somewhere between my 2nd and 3rd attempts I got a reasonable result. (Just wish I could get a reasonable result with my playing efforts ! )

Here's another link you may want to check out ~ it's the Scottish Steel Guitar Club website >

http://www.ssgc.org.uk/

Meanwhile, welcome to this forum . . .

. . . Jim G. Smile

. . . . . edited to add another link, this time it's the British Steelies website >

http://groups.msn.com/TheBritishSteeliesSociety/messageboard.msnw

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2008 11:59 am     Springfield Guitars

Jim,
I do remember you, and the incident with the Cig. I knew the Laquer was good, but I discovered just how good when I left a Cig burning on the deck one night in a Club, horrified I flicked it away to find there was not a mark left.

I will give the link you gave me a look and see if I can meet up with like minded steelie's

Good to hear from you.

James. (sunday name)

Allan Thompson

Scotland.
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2008 12:08 pm    

Welcome to the forum Jim. I think we have met, but it was a long time ago.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2008 2:33 pm    

I went to the workshop when we toured Scotland in the late 70's, I was using a ZB at the time and the man we were backing ,Frank Ifield alway used a big spotlight when ever it hit the fretboard I could not see the frets,as we stayed at Grangemouth quite close to Livingstone we went there and they gave me two fretboards that did not reflect light, The design of the steel was quite clever , you could get two strings to start their pull together and finish together.
They asked me to do a demo on there steel at the Wembley Country festival I do believe Bas was there also.. The finish was a compound called Furniglas PU15 polyurethane varnish, I finished a Strat with it and like you were saying you could stubb a cigarette out on it with no damage..

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2008 4:29 am    

Jim,
I was well aware of Steel guitars but had never seen one up close until my (ex)Wife got tickets (£1.50) for a wee do in Pumpherston village hall.The band were Southern Comfort with Yourself on steel.Like brother Jim Gorrie I had never been within touching distance of a steel and I was enthralled by the instrument and with Your playing..
I spoke to You at the break and commented on the guitar and asked how much it had cost,it was an eight string guitar.Your reply was "it did'nt cost anything I made it myself"then You went on to say that You would shortly be going into production.
I was a little under the affluence of incohol at the time and I slurred "Make Me one too"
About a week later I got a call from the president of the Almond Valley Country Music Club,Larry was His name,He informed me that Jim Kerr had a guitar for Me.
I lived in Huron ave Howden and You were within walking distance of Me,was it Fergus ave?
Anyway after letting Me see and hear the guitar thru a Fender(twin?) I was very impressed and also saddened because I could'nt afford the asking price.That was about 1976,It took Me another 10 years to get the money together and I eventually bought an Emmons from Eric Snowball.I had moved away from Livingston by then.
You probably would'nt recognise Me since I have been dyeing my hair grey for quite a few years now.
All the best Jim and I hope to see You around the clubs sometime.I play with Nickles and Dimes and We do the club in Leith walk now and again.
I am assuming You are still in livingston.
Best regards
Billy

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2008 5:27 am     Springfield Guitars

John Roche & Billy,
I remember you both well and I am amazed at the things you two can still recall. Those years building the instruments were the most fun I ever had and made even better by the people I met on the way. After seeing the prices my old Guitars fetch on the market, I think I will buy a few machines and start turning out 21st Century models.

I still live in Livingston Billy, it used to be Edmonton Avenue, now I live with the Toff's up at Deer Park Golf Club. As soon as I can reconnect the brain to the fingers and toes I will be back out there amongst you all.

James Kerr.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2008 6:25 am    

Jim, I still have the fret boards after all the years,
I only removed a little of the paper to hold it on the guitar, they had a lot of frets above the 24th.
Do you have any photos of the undercarriage , I'm sure
some of the steel players would like to see it....

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2008 7:05 am     Springfield Guitars

John,
I can easily take photos of the undercarriage of my own guitar, but posting them here might be a challenge, maybe you can help there.

As you pointed out it is a bit unusual in design, but very accurate and pulls any number of strings, all starting and ending at the same time, even though they may each be going a semitone or full tone, and of different guages, It is of course an All Pull system.

Do I just press the "upload picture" button, or does the photo have to be hosted elsewhere.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2008 7:16 am    

Jim , if you want you can send them to me and I'll pop them up , you can try posting them yourself as long as they are no then 640x1280 pixel's in size, my email is at the bottom of my post...

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2008 7:36 am    

John,
Ok I will take some photos and give it a try, failing that I will send them to you.

James,

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2008 8:10 am     Springfield Guitar

Here is a top view of the Guitar

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2008 10:17 am    

Jim K
Good to hear from you after all these years. The fact that your guitars are still going strong is testament to how well made they were.

Ken

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2008 10:20 am    

Ken,
Good to hear from you too, and nice to think I am still in your thoughts after all these years. I well remember those trips down to the New Forrest in my VW.

James Kerr.

Jim Gorrie

Post  Posted 17 Feb 2008 11:08 am    

Billy Murdoch wrote:

You probably would'nt recognise Me since I have been dyeing my hair grey for quite a few years now. . . . .

Billy

Billy ~ that comment should have been posted in "Humor" section !

Laughing

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2008 12:14 pm    

Jim,
I would rather have grey hair than nae hair.
Why are You not going to Dallas?
Billy

Jim Gorrie

Post  Posted 17 Feb 2008 2:55 pm    

Billy,

I'd love to be going to Dallas again --- it's the munny that's keeping me away (or, rather, the shortage of munny ! )

Jim. Crying or Very sad

Archie Nicol

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2008 2:56 pm    

Does my memory deceive me, or did Springfield have a `factory` in Port Glasgow, up the back near Playtex?

Arch.

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2008 3:02 pm    

Here is the address of the factory.

JK.

Archie Nicol

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2008 3:45 pm    

So my mammary did deceive me...must have been the thought of the Playtex factory. Still, I was only a mile or so out. Thanks for the info, James.

Arch.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2008 4:21 pm    

Jim K. Your 'bairns' that you brought round to my place that I was living at the time were just little ones. They must now be grown up and married now. Frightening thought how time has marched on.

Grey hair? I am hunting to find any. Very Happy

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2008 4:29 pm    

Ken,
I had 4 of them, all gone now thank God. But I still get lumbered with the Grand Weans.
I still have a VW Camper though, a newer version.

JK.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2008 4:30 pm    

Jim,Could you post a big photo of the front of that green guitar?very cool instrument,Stu Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2008 4:43 pm    

Here you go Stu,

Hope this is ok, if not I will take a better one tomorrow, its 00:45am here in Bonny Scotland.

James.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2008 12:21 pm    

Jim,Thanks so much...what a beauty.Stu Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.