The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pro Tools LE 4 ?
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2008 3:24 am    

Anyone use Pro Tools LE or have comments on this? I was thinking of getting it for my computer based recording. I have Cubase LE that came with my Alesis io26 but I can't really find any tutorials on Cubase LE and it's totally confusing. I know Pro Tools will have a learning curve too, but it looks like there is some tutorials available for it.

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2008 6:49 am    

Hi Jack, have you been here? http://dmzweb3.europe.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=creative_emu,U={B8F60310-DA4F-11D3-94F4-00500463020E},Company={EACD76F6-AB98-4A73-92AF-672407CB86D7},d=1058791985390,VARSET=centric:0,VARSET=m:0,VARSET=c:0,VARSET=ws:http://www.emu.com,case=1776

or found this http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/csresources/pdfs/CubaseLE_1.pdf

or here http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CubaseLEDVD this one is a book that you can buy although I'm sure you don't want to spend a bunch of money this book is only 29.00.

I think these show presonus as your interface but it should work the same otherwise.

Bob

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2008 7:14 am    

Hi, Jack, I've been using ProTools LE on a windows platform for some time now in a commercial recording facility, and I've been very happy with it. A series of problems I had all turned out to be due to a faulty ribbon connector in the computer itself.

I'm using the 002 Rack module with a lot of outboard preamps, and it's been working so well with version 6.9 I'm reluctant to upgrade. I've heard a lot of people complain about ProTools, mainly midi implementation, but it's what I see being used in every pro studio I record at around here.

There are a number of mediocre tutorials out there, and also some very fine ones. I'd especially recommend John Keane's "ProTools for Musicians" which takes you through sessions the way you'd actually do it, from optimizing your computer to implementing a click track, making multiple headphone sends, tracking, overdubbing and editing.
There are far more tutorials, DVDS, and books out for Protools than any other platform.

Steve Benzian

Burlingame, CA USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2008 8:45 am    

ProTools is in version 7 now. It works quite well for me on a PC but it is fussy about hardware....check the systems requirements and preferred configurations on the Pro Tools website.
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=3&langid=100&
Pro Tools wants you to record audio to a separate hard drive (not the system drive). So the optimum confiuration is two hard drives on the computer. Since hard drives are cheap and you can probably add one yourself its not a serious problem. You will need some type of audio interface hardware. I had Digi 001 but that is obsolete now. Other Pro Tools hardware are the MBox and 003 devices.

The software is pretty straight forward. You might have trouble the first time you use the program but the manual is helpful.

When I bought my Rack 3 the version of LE didn't work on Vista but they came out with a new software release recently and I think it may work on Vista now. Your local dealer would know. I can download the new version for free but haven't done so yet. I,m on Windows XP.

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2008 9:19 am    

I have upgraded to the new ProTools 7.4 in the last couple of weeks, so I'd advise you to be sure you get that version if you are buying new.
It has a thing called Elastic Time, which allows you to quantize audio, amongst other things.
All in all, it is a massively useful upgrade.
I'd be very surprised if anyone can actually get the best out of ProTools without some help. The videos on the Digidesign Website are a good start.
Cheers
Dave

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2008 9:23 am    

Bob, I'm about through with Cubase LE. I've found the info you referenced and several others, plus the one that came with my Alesis io26 but even for a computer "techie" I've only got into very basic recording.

Pro Tools does seem to be the "biggie" and the LE looks like there may be more info out there for it.

I'm not looking at the full Pro Tools as someone referenced, only info/comments on the LE version (and the LE4 Version is Vista compatible).

I have an Alesis io26, 8 channel firewire interface unit. I have two SATA hard drives installed on my Vista PC that has 4GB of memory and a D925 dual core CPU.

Steve Benzian

Burlingame, CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2008 8:45 am    

Jack,

Check to see that ProTools will work well with your Alesis unit.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2008 5:32 pm    

Steve, before or if I buy anything else I'll make sure it's compatible. I could also go with Cakewalk products as they are compatible with the Alesis. I'm looking for something that has some support and is a path eventually to a full scale (high end) recording application.