The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lexicon Recorders?
Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2008 1:35 pm    

I've got my eyes on a reasonably priced Lexicon 'Lambda' recorder from Musicians Friend. Price is $150.

Is anyone familiar with Lexicon? Most of the reviews on MF were positive; one person said the software, Steinberg Cubase LE, is hard to understand [learning curve] and that Steinberg Support was awful.
Others said the whole shootin' match was a snap. Up and recording in 15-20 minutes.

There are 3 models: $99+; $149+; $199+. The difference in price are the number of I/Os and mike preamps.

Anyone?

Carl Vilar

New Jersey USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2008 10:35 pm    

At one point I was using the omega which is the big brother to the lambada I think it had a few more inputs. It's pretty good for the money clear & professional sound but I recommend using something that uses firewire instead of the USB much lower latency with less prolems. you could find something in the same price range 199 the mackie satellite. As far as the cubse le it is a strip down version of cubase 3 and nuendo 3 which I use both and prefer it over protools in my opinion the best recording programs out there the sky is limit with whatever you want to do with them and I don't feel it was any harder to learn than any other programs I have used in the past. Good luck.

Chip Fossa

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2008 12:37 am    

Thanks Carl.

Would it be OK for me to call you on my dime, and, of course on your time, to talk about this?

Let's not tie up the forum. You raised some things, quite frankly, that I'm an idiot with.

I appreciate your input.

Let me know.

Chipper Very Happy

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2008 4:58 am    

hey. I am using the Lexicon Lambda. Cubase recording software came with it.
I have no issues so far with this recorder.
I got the same deal back in september of last year.

this device has all I need for now.
what can I do for you?

Chip Fossa

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2008 1:37 pm    

Thanks Randy.

I appreciate your input, as well.

Lexicon sounds like it's a pretty good program.

I guess my little bit of confusion is about the firewire connection.

But I remembered. I bought this Berhinger program, FCA202, a firewire audio interface from Musicians Friend about a year ago. It came with a firewire card and I forgot I installed it. So I do have a firewire connection, after all.
The thing is, the FCA202 was kind of a bait & switch deal. Me and our bassplayer bought the exact same units (he talked me into it, as to how great it would be). It came with Ableton music production software. It was actually a demo version, and you could opt to buy into the full-blown program; for $400. No thanks.

I was a bit miffed with the bassplayer for a while, cuz the FCA202 cost around $100, and now to get full use out of the deal we'd both have to spend another $400.

So, there it sat. I guess I'll take of advantage of it now.

Chipper

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2008 2:25 pm    

that lexicon should have Cubase inside. Cubase is a pretty good intuitive software. and yes, USB is the connector.
I( am not having issues with USB.
Firewire may be and probably is superior. but Firewire is not a recording software....correct?

Carl Vilar

New Jersey USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2008 8:33 pm    

Firewire is the connection input 1394 not software

Chip Fossa

Post  Posted 31 Jan 2008 5:05 am    

Yeah, this FCA202 came with a lttle box about 2X larger than a deck of cards. It's very simple. A level control on the front, 2ins(L/R)and 2outs(L/R) on the back as well as 2 firewire plugs; the soundcard {or card}; a 3' firewire cable; and the ableton software.
It seems like it only works only with Ableton. Golwave didn't recognize it. I don't think Audacity rcognizes it either.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2008 9:34 pm    

I tried a Lexicon Omega recently but could not get it to install on my computer. I actually lost my onboard sound after (probably coincidence). I put in a Soundblaster card and still can get no sound. I am sending it back and giving up on Computer recording. I bought a Boss BR-1600 on Thursday and had recorded a song and mastered it already.

It was not an issue with the computer not having the resourses for using it as a recording studio. Dell Dimension 9100 3ghz w/ 3gb Ram, a 250gb system only HD and a 500gb data drive.