The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fast Fret
Mitch Adelman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2008 7:26 pm    

I've been using GHS Fastfret on my tele guitar strings for years. It gets off the gig sweat and grim better than just wiping them off and makes the strings smoother to play and easier to slide with the fingers.It has a roll on padded applicator and just delivers alittle bit of the stuff to the strings. It never did nay harm to the finish etc (like WD40 once did).
Get sweat and grim on my steel strings as well after a job and the fast fret seems to take it off and make for smoother bar sliding. Anyone else use this sort of thing on your steel? Am I better off just letting the bar drag alittle and forget the fast fret.It never contacts any other part of the steel except the strings.Thanks

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2008 8:07 pm    

I use Fast Fret also.

Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2008 8:37 pm    

Plenty good for all my guitars, acoustic, electric....

Ron

Dale Hansen

Hendersonville,Tennessee, (USA)
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2008 9:11 pm    

There was a time, a short while, in the mid 80's when I was using Fastfret.
I came to believe, over time, that it was killing my wound strings prematurely.
I may have been wrong about the assumption, but I did make the switch to de-natured alcohol shortly after. I used to put it in in an old Afrin nasal spray bottle that I would carry in my seat, and refill as needed. On that 1 oz. bottle, I had removed the straw, and bored the tip out, to deliver a better stream for my purposes.

One time a fiddle player, who was never too bright to begin with, saw what he thought was nasal spray in my seat, and treated himself to a snort.
Why anyone would use sombody else's nasal spray is beyond me, and beside the point; but he did learn his lesson for the day.
I think that stuff must have shot straight through his thin cranial barrier, and cooked half of his childhood memories.
A few minutes later, I made my way up to the stage. The poor fella was just miserable. There he was crouched in the corner, with both cheeks streaming tears, pleading for an antidote.

Of course, I did the right thing; as any decent person would do, and gave him the best remedy that I knew of.

I suggested that he place his whole head in a plastic bag, and secure it with duct tape.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 7:44 am    

I have used that product for years.
One of the best investments you can make. I keep it in my pac-a-seat and wipe my strings down with it after I play. It cleans the strings and makes them "slicker". Very Happy

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 7:59 am    

Are we talking about the spray Fast-Fret or the impregnated woolly type?

Somewhere in all my junk I have both - do they have a shelf-life?

On my current gig I'm forced to play some banjo. It usually lives in the very farthest recess of my closet (we could get visitors who'd make a snap judgement about me!) and it needs something as it's feeling a bit sticky.

Some of the guys in our horn-section have suggested that I recycle the banjo when the run is over, but, with all that metal, it could come back as a trombone!!!!!

Too risky Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

RR

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 8:09 am    

The impregnated woolly type. Very Happy

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 8:17 am    

Its WD 40

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 8:24 am    

I don't think so.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 9:09 am    

I use Fast Fret, both the spray and the "wooley type" on my guitars, but I haven't used it on my steels. I like the way it makes the strings feel on the six stringers. It might make the strings too slick on my steel and I may have to chase down my bar.

I tried another brand a while back, sold by Jim Dunlop I think it was. And every time I play the guitar that I used it on, I get a bad metallic taste in my mouth after playing for a while. There must be something in it that I'm absorbing through my skin, which is kind of scary. I won't use it anymore.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 9:11 am    

I use and sell John Pearse "String Swipes".
Jerry

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 9:43 am    

Is this the same as FingerEase?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZAjJ8NHvPz4

Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 10:01 am    

Jerry where do you get those string swipes?
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 10:15 am    

I used to use Fast Fret and would always leave it loose and the applicator would dry out. Been using Blitz Cloth String Care for quite some time now and it works great, lasts a long long time.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 10:24 am    

I use both. From what I understand Fast fret is saddle soap.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 10:29 am    

I always thought it was Possum fat! Shocked

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 10:56 am    

I use Finger Ease,spray a little in the changer once in awhile,remember one of the rebuilders[may have been Dwayne Marrs,not sure]but he said he would use Finger Ease on gunked uped changers,it works for me.DYKBC.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 11:02 am    

Yeah, what's on that blitz cloth anyway? Is it similar to FastFret or FingerEase? Does it make the strings more slidey or just clean them up?

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 12:10 pm    

Jim,seems to me it does both,I played six string for about thirty and was addicted to Finger Ease,my hands sweated a lot and Finger Ease really helped a lot.It seems to work good keeping the changer clean,it's silocone base not oil like WD-40 which will gum up every thing.Would'nt even have WD-40 in the same room with my guitar,DYKBC.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 12:27 pm    

WD40 is toxic, it can damage the nerves in your fingers if use on strings...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 12:32 pm    

Jim: Blitz does both. Whenever I feel my fingerpicks start to scrap a little I use it and it works. Don't know what they put on there, but it comes with one cloth to apply and another to wipe off. It cleans and eases friction.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 1:32 pm    

My hands don't sweat a lot and I usually don't use anything, but if someone else has played my steel or I've played in a humid setting, I lay a hand towel
thats large enough to cover the entire string area under the strings and spray the whole area with Finger-Ease, and then wipe the strings down. Since
it's a dry formula, the strings do not have a greasy
feel and the stickiness is gone.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 3:23 pm    

blitz cloth is good for shining up your steel and your gun at the same time.....two important tools of life!

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 4:08 pm    

Chris,can you play the shot gun boogie,or maybe the 357 waltz,or dueling 44's ?DYKBC.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 5:02 pm    

bama.....only if i have to and they're already clearly on my property!