The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CD's to Tracks
Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2008 3:57 pm    

Is there a free program that will remove vocales from CD's so you can use them for tracks?
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

Donny Dennis

Atlanta, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2008 6:17 am    

I don't know of any free program that will remove the vocals from CDs. However, you might be interested in a program called Vogone. It sells for approximately $50.00, and you can download a free demo to try before you buy.

Donny

Michael McGee

Everton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2008 8:10 am    

Billy, you may already know the process involved that makes this possible, but IMHO it is definitely NOT a 'magic bullet'. Don't let your expectations get very high as far as creating good tracks.

Most programs use an algorithm that tries to measure what instruments have been panned left or right versus instruments that were mixed with equal amounts of volume on both the left and right channels. The algorithm tries to hide what's in the middle, and some of these programs do a good job of masking any sound 'in the middle'.

It has been common mixing practice for many, many years to put the vocal 'in the middle' - equal amounts of volume in the left speaker and right speaker. Your ears tell you that the vocal is 'centered'. So the program masks the vocals.

However, it has also been common practice for many years to put the bass instrument and the kick drum 'in the middle'. Unless the program has a low pass filter, your 'new' track will have no vocals and NO LOW END.

In recent years, it seems to my ears that there is much less hard panning to the left or right than there was in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. This could cause the program to basically zap almost everything on a recent recording.

Good luck with your efforts. Just remember - "there ain't no free lunch"!

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2008 4:51 am    

Try this.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqXiKYG3J7M

Dean Salisbury

New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2008 7:24 am     reducing vocal on mp3's

AUDACITY RIP INSTRUMENTAL OR VOCAL OFF A mp3! Or go to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqXiKYG3J7M

1. DRAG AND DROP AN MP3 (IMPORT MP) INTO AUDACITY
2. SELECT THE DOWNWARD ARROW IN MP3 AND SELECT: SPLIT STERO TRACKS
3. SELECT ON THE 2ND TRACK IT SAYS RIGHT AND CLICK ANYWHERE AROUND WHERE IT SAYS RIGHT, THEN IT WILL GRAY OUT CERTAIN PARTS OF THE TRACK.
4. THEN GO TO EFFECTS AND SELECT "INVERT" ONE LAST STEP
5. YOU GOT TO SET BOTH TRACKS TO MONO, SELCT THE DOWN ARROW ON EACH TRACK AND SELECT MONO, YOU HAVE TO DO THIS ON BOTH TRACKS!

YOUR SOUND WILL BE THERE BUT BARELY THERE. However, there is one more step you can take to make the vocal a little further reduce the audio track and loses data on the softest parts which will further reduce the audio track.

save the file and re-open it and first select file then go back to effects and then select amply then save again. sometimes you can do this a couple of times and reduce even more. Sometimes it works and

some times it don't! thats the best results!

I just did it and it does work pretty good. 1 song I got 99% of the vocal out, I could just very very here it the other one I did I got about 96% of the vocal out. Guess just depends upon the mp3.

I did buy a unit years ago that did the same thing but it cost me several hundred bucks and you still could hear the vocals. AUDACITY I think has better results then the expensive unit I had bought in the late 90's which is now broke!

Dean from NY

Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2008 1:17 pm    

Thanks for the replys guys.
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

Ron !

Post  Posted 16 Jan 2008 4:20 pm    

Billy there are several programs that can do it.One of them is "Cool-Edit".It has the ability to cut(one push of the button) the Vocal.
I have the program and tried it several time's and I think it works quit well.

Ron

Dean Salisbury

New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2008 8:33 am     for Ron Steenwijk I have cool edit

I have cool edit and I cannot find the option or button to take out the vocal...can you explain how to do that with cool edit?

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2008 8:44 am    

This is a good as you can get using software...http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1651.html

Ron !

Post  Posted 17 Jan 2008 9:13 am    

Dean you can find that under "Favorites".It's called "Vocal Cut".
I had to check it again myself.Here's a screen shot

Hope this helps

Ron

Dean Salisbury

New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2008 10:23 am     Ron Steenwijk

Hmm now I am going nutz, lolol i don't have the same screen, your screen shows that have 10 tabs on top. I only have 8 and I don't have "favorite" tab what version are you using I am using version 2.0! lolol
I dont use this program but I wanted to check you the part that removes vocals. lolol I cannot even insert an mp3 into the program so missing I think the encoder! and I bought this program and never installed it until now just to check the vocal thing....

guess I need help! so curious to see if you have the same version

Dean from NY

Dean Salisbury

New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2008 10:47 am     finally got mp3 installed and found FAVORITES

finally got where your at and the vocal cut is greyed out! not an option I can select! lolol now driving me nutz again! I must have a newer version then you

I have 2.1

dean nyc

Dean Salisbury

New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2008 11:03 am     Ron Steenwijk

WOW ok after 4 hours finally figured out cool edit! damn I hate these audio programs they all are different all use different terminology. and your right as well you still hear vocal but it does cut is down 80% or so.

After trying all of the programs that I have appear that they all reduce the locals or lead instrument about the same you can still hear it

thanks Ron Steenwijk but I finally found everything. now to remember what I did lololol