The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6 "DCA" Change Added to MSA Legend - Pics, Audio,
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 1:02 pm    

I finally got around to adding the "DCA" change to my C6th neck. While I was at it, I added the low C to C# raise on it as well, having previously added the string 3 C to C# raise. I first got wind of the whole DCA thing through Terry Crisp who was nice enough to show me his modified C6th tuning. I then noticed that Paul Franklin had this change on his guitar.

The link below will take you to a page on my web site devoted to this change. It contains pics and descriptions of the mechanical changes I made to my MSA Legend to implement these changes. There is also a copedant chart and some tab and sound files showing some stuff I figured out so far.

I am certainly no expert on all this but just want to promote some discussion on the topic! Hopefully others will chime in with some really cool use for this change.

C6th "DCA" Change!

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 8:18 pm    

Greg-Nice tone on those demos. What pickup are you using on your MSA legend?That D is a good idea down there, BE has been trying that out too.Nice for those chromatic licks like on E9, E-F#-G#...al.SmileSmile

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 8:36 pm    

Greg- here is a thought, if you raise the 6 E to F and the 5 G to A, you have the A-B pedals of the E9. To take this further-Tune open strings to E6 and allyour pulls will work just the same. and you are very close to E9 tuning , but still have the 6th tuning. top down -

D-F#
E-G#
C-E
A-C#
G-B
E-G#
C-E
A-C#
F-A
C-E

You D would become F# on E6. notice how close it is to E9. I ued a set of E9 strings, add a low guitar E.

Many ways to go, and I like yours. but for me it is E6 with added E9 A and B pedals for the E9....al.SmileSmile

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 10:41 pm    

Greg-as I said before-I have had this change for a long while and LOVE it-One thing I see from your copeedent is that you have the A-Ab change on both strings 4 and 8-Mike Cass showed me how the A-Ab change on string 4 works with the "D-C-A" change but your having it on string 8 will cause it to possibly split tune to B if you try to combine it-You might want to therefore loose the A-Ab on the 8th string and hopefully you can combine levers to get it along with the "D-C-A"
Al-I use my 6th string raise E-F (Chalker change-which is on the vertical of my Milly) in combination with this pedal

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2008 8:57 am    

Paul, thanks for the tip. I am taking the lower A to Ab change off now. I can use the parts elsewhere!

Al, I am thinking over all of what you said and will digest it today. This is all new and exciting to me!

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2008 9:53 pm    

Greg C-OK
Perhaps you could use the extra parts taken off to get the E-F raise on the sixth string somewhere?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2008 10:30 pm    

Paul,

This is weird, but it works! I can actually, easily fold up my E9th LKR and reach the E9th vertical knee while playing C6th, and using the floor pedals. Tonight I put the crank on there for the E to F C6th pull but all the rods I have left are unthreaded.

Any idea what Die size I need? I have no idea if the threads are cut with a die or rolled on. The rod size is 0.110" and is non-magnetic so I assume it's stainless steel. I was thinking about using a 4-40 or 5-40 die. If this is too tricky by hand I could take it into work on Monday and have the toool room cut it.

Greg

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2008 10:47 pm    

Greg C-Yeah that does sound kind of weird
using the E9TH vertical for the C6TH neck
I have the E-F (6th string) change on my C6TH vertical of the Milly and the "D-C-A" change is on pedal 4 so I can combine them-My LKL on the C6TH neck has the A-Ab on string 4 and I can combine it with the vertical as well-I don't know what chord it is but the half tone lower on 4 and the half tone raise on 6 does work together and at one time I had an extra LKR on one of my Emmons P/P that had BOTH

Sorry I do not know the thread size

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 12:00 pm    

Paul,

I ordered the a 5-40 tap for the rod.

The new MSa body is so compact that I can reach the E9th vertical level with ease from the C6 position and still activate floor pedals.

Greg

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 11:32 am    

Got the E to F C6th change on my E9 vertical knee and it works like a champ! I had this change many years ago. Back then I had no idea what to do with it. Now I am floating on air. Over past 8 weeks I have added the C to C# (3rd string) , this DCA change and the E to F (6th string) and it feels like a new instrument. I might have to swap a few knees around to get the right combination of simultaneous changes. At least as it stands, I can get the string 4 lower and the string 6 raise at the same time as they are on different knees.

Greg