The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Player Looking For Work - DFW Texas Area
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2010 11:43 am    

Hi Everyone,
For the last month or so I have thoroughly enjoyed working with The Marcus Lindsey Band. However, the band is now going through a "restructure" and they have decided to eliminate steel guitar from the group in favor of a lead guitar player. Let me explain in detail (but as briefly as possible) what happened.

We recently acquired a new drummer, but after two weeks with us the drummer has decided to leave the group and return to doing primarily studio work instead of live club gigs. With the drummer's departure and the task of bringing a new drummer into the picture, Marcus has also decided to restructure the group, so, along with breaking in a new drummer, he's replacing the steel with a lead guitar player (the reason being so that he can concentrate entirely on singing as opposed to both singing and playing lead guitar himself).

Naturally, I was very concerned when Marcus called Monday night to inform me of the change (my initial thought was "Am I not doing a good enough job for him?"); but, we had a long conversation on the phone and he assured me that I'd not done anything wrong, that it has nothing to do with me, that he really likes my steel playing and that I was indeed doing a good job; instead, it all has to do with him having to both sing and play lead guitar at the same time.

When Marcus and I first talked about me joining the band, I made him aware that I'm a steel player only and cannot double on lead guitar; Marcus didn't think it would be an issue and felt that he could sing and take up the lead spot as well, but the task of singing and playing lead guitar hasn't been working out for him ... so, he's bringing a new lead guitar player in this very weekend so that he can immediately get back into just singing again.

He was very apologetic about the change and sorry to sacrifice having a steel in the band. Long story short, since the band cannot afford the luxury of both a steel and a lead, they've decided to eliminate the steel in favor of a lead player so that Marcus can concentrate only on singing.

In fairness to Marcus, I understand his desire to get out from behind the lead guitar and return to singing only. And, I do wish him, and the band, best wishes in the new musical direction they're wanting to go with the group.

My only misgiving and feeling of panic regarding all of this is that, with that phone call, I've been kind of blind-sided by it. I find myself suddenly being replaced and out of the band without prior indication that any sort of change like this was coming down.

For those who may be curious as to how I feel at being suddenly dropped without any kind of prior notice, let me just say that it would have been nice to have had the professional courtesy of at least a one or two week notice. Other than that, I have nothing ill to say toward Marcus or the group. I wish them all the best and hope they do well with their new band structure.

Losing my gig so suddenly places a real hardship on me and I need to find a new gig as soon as possible. While it's not my intention to appear "choosy" over the next band I get with, I do want to avoid a possible repeat of what happened with Marcus Lindsey, so I feel I should put a couple of points up front while looking for a new gig:

1. I'm a pedal steel player only and do not play lead or acoustic guitar; therefore, I cannot double on both lead/acoustic guitars and steel.

2. If at all possible, I need to remain local to the DFW metroplex. Due to an aging vehicle that I can't afford to replace or repair often, I'm not able to travel much outside the DFW area or do long-distance gigs, such as those outside of Denton, Tarrant and Dallas counties, or other states. What I'm hoping to find, if possible, is full-time work with a band that is entirely local to the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex.

If you're a local Dallas/Ft Worth band needing a steel guitar player, I am immediately available for work and rehearsal. If you'd like to contact me, my number is 817-800-5798 and my email address is jim.lindsey54@yahoo.com.

Since I've gotten back into music my phone stays pretty busy, so if you should call me and it goes to voice mail, please lease leave a message and I'll return your call as quickly as possible. Thanks most sincerely.
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)