The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  where do you put it?
Jerry H. Moore

Newnan, GA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2008 7:07 pm    

Well I've seen the pak a seat and how it holds all the strings and the pedal and stuff and the rack for the effects and bag or case for the cords and flashlight and BC powders and duck tape but I haven't seen a good way to keep the steel bars and picks and tuner wrench and all the delicates. I'm using an old case that a diabetic glucometer came in but since Santa brought me a new bar I think it's gonna be packed too tight!. Is there one on the market??? Where do ya'll put it? Smile

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2008 7:17 pm    

I bought a little tupperware container at the supermarket, about 4" wide and 6" long with a snap on lid. Holds my bar, picks tuning wrench, hex-wrenches, wire cutters, string winder, and some earplugs and pother do-dads.

Dan

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2008 7:21 pm    

jerry, you'll probably get better answers, but i've alway kept my bar, picks and tuner wrench in a small leather pouch that'll hang on my tuning pegs, but when travelling it gets placed in a secure corner of the packaseat where it won't move around.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2008 7:41 pm    

Home Depot sells a clear tube with flexible plastic ends for a few bucks that is used to hold nails and screws. You can fit several bars in one of these tubes.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2008 8:16 pm    

A Crown Royal bag works well!

Or, go to you local banker and ask him/her for one of their small, zipper bags. They work great.

I've also seen guys use the tubes from Mini M&M's for bar storage.

Shannon Cooke

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2008 8:47 pm     keep some of it here

These work great on the leg of your steel!

Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2008 9:13 pm    

gofish....

Brandon Ordoyne

Needville,Texas USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2008 10:28 pm    

Thats a darn good idea Steve! Smile

Brandon

L. A. Wunder

Lombard, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2008 10:52 pm    

I use a canvas pencil pouch, like you would put in a 3-ring binder. It has two zippered pockets. I put my tuner and a short patch cord in the front pocket, so they're quick to access. The bar, and a small tin holding my picks and tuning wrench, are zipped in the back pocket. It's inexpensive, and works quite well.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2008 10:55 pm    

I use a saxophone mouthpiece pouch, which holds a bar, wrench and a film can (loaded w/ picks). It fits in your pocket when going out to sit in with others....but I do like that "GoFish" setup of Steve's for pac-a-seat travel.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2008 11:19 pm    

You will always see a crown royal bag hanging off the keyhead of my steel.

Larry Strawn

Golden Valley, Arizona, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 4:58 am    

Tubes from the mini-M&M's is what I use for my bars.

The bar I use most and my thumb and finger picks fit just right in one, nice and snug and the bar won't roll around.

Tuning wrenches and extra picks, and what-nots goes in a Crown bag in my pack-a-seat.

Larry

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 5:08 am    

Small zippered digital camera case, available anywhere for $3.00 - $5.00.
Hook

Tamara James

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 5:25 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
You will always see a crown royal bag hanging off the keyhead of my steel.

Must it be Crown Royal? Won't Captain Morgan Private Stock bag work? I'm just so new to all this.... Rolling Eyes

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 5:56 am    

Ditto on the Crown Royal bags... I must have half a dozen in service at the moment. The gift that keeps on giving.

If you take a walk thru the ladies cosmetics section of the local WalMart you'll find a plethora of little cosmetic/goodie zippered pouches that cost like $2 to $5 and work great.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 8:01 am    

I found some small, leather cosmetic bags on Ebay that work perfectly. I personally don't like anything hanging from my steel, it detracts from the appearance. I play in a church Praise & Worship band that is videoed every Sunday, and appearance is important to me. I only use the bags to keep everything together in the pack-a-seat. Between sets, I put my bar and picks on top of my preamp, which sits beside my steel.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 8:02 am    

I have a small woven nylon satchel or gym bag, with handles and a shoulder strap. Cords, power strip, volume pedal and stomp boxes go in the main compartment. There are long zippered pockets on each side for medium sized loose items, and small compartmentalized pockets on each end for small items. I have not found pack-a-seats very useful. They are heavy and don't hold enough stuff.

Don Walters

Saskatchewan Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 8:02 am    

'nother vote here for the Crown Royal bag ... I have many ... Wink

Jack Ritter

Enid, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 8:18 am    

some pocket knives come with a heavy woven soft nylon holster with a velcro strap to hold them in. this works very well to keep your bar in and away from picks or anything that will ding or scuff them.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 8:26 am    

I keep my picks in orange prescription medicine bottles, bars in a small leather pouch I got from Levy's, and all of that plus stringwinder, end-cutter, a micrometer to measure string gauges, guitar capos, end-plate wrench, and a small mag-lite in a small tool pouch. This pouch velcros inside a fairly large backpack, which also houses my volume pedal, Pod in its case, cables, a portable guitar stand, spare strings, and a bunch of other small stuff. I have a separate backpack for other pedals, if I use them.

I used to keep my picks directly in a soft pouch or Crown Royal bag, but I found it was easy for the fingerpicks to get crushed. They fit exactly in the medicine bottles, and the rigid plastic protects them better.

Matt Pynn

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 9:47 am    

Crown Royal bags have always been the answer for me

Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 10:08 am     PICK POUCH

This is my little corner at our house, practice ready
on the top shelf by the light is a voice tool like the /Digatec, below is a Boss DR 5 drum machine, next down is a Fostex DR 5, the tool on the wooden stand is the monitor, makes for a nice set up, you can practice and sing thru it, the mic is hanging on the side.
Point of post, the blue holder, holds 2 bars and tuning wrench, the zipper pouch holds 3 bars and picks, nothing get scratched up, makes a nice pick pouch.
The music stand is just in front of the shoBud holds 5 sheets of tab, the vegas 400 is in front of the guitar below the music stand.
Just sharing my little corner with you.

ernie

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 10:33 am    

Old eyeglass cases work great for protection and convenience.

Dale Hansen

Hendersonville,Tennessee, (USA)
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 4:31 pm    

For years, I used a 35mm film cannister to keep picks in.

These days, I'm using one of these things that I built. Picture file
It keeps my primary set of picks, bar, and tuning wrench all together. I just use the wrap,(provided) going around the whole thing, and stow it in the pack-a-seat, for going out to do sessions.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 5:06 pm    

Don't like any junk hanging off my steel so I just lay the bars on the two keyheads resting on the strings & spare set of picks in between necks. I need to invest in a small caddy as in the photo above. I use a "pocketpal" heavy cordura nylon type w/velcro closure that has pockets for both bars and picks during transportation/storage. The kind you find at Menard's/Lowe's/Home Depot. Tuning/string changing related accessories/tools etc. I keep in a camera bag and my "on the road" repair equip oddsNends is kept in a well used cosmetic bag that needs to be replaced. All the necessities are kept together in what I call my "Gig" bag as it has my stroboflip, bosstone, A/B box and George L cord repair items. It is never out of sight Cool