The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking to Rebuild
Brian ONeil

Minneapolis, MN USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 10:54 am    

I have just aquired a Carter S12 Universal that I'd like to have serviced and/or rebuilt. I found out through Carter that it is a 1999, and some of the changes feel sticky or at least not as smooth as they could be. I wasn't sure if Carter does that sort of thing or not.

Anyone have a recommendation of where to send it to have this work done?

Thanks for any advice.

Brian

Brian ONeil

Minneapolis, MN USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 12:07 pm    

looks like Carter is the best way to go, got a very helpful e-mail from them. Please close post

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 10:06 am     Rebuild carter

Brian send pic's of your rebuild of Carter steel, Bud Carter is the Magician of building Carter steel guitars, he knows how to get the sound.

Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 10:24 am     DIY

Good heavens, Do it yourself. The folks here will tell you how. Don't be afraid to learn how to take care of your own steel! Reese helped me with the first MSA I bought, from a dealer, right on the telephone! I've never had to holler for help since and that was 1972 or so! Bobbe said if I had spent as much time learning the top as I had the bottom, I might be able to play it by now! I'd guess everything you need to know is right on Carter's web site, it's a great source! Save your money and learn something! UPS & FedEx are doing OK these days! They don't need your money!

Joseph Meditz

Sierra Vista, AZ
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 12:54 pm     DIY ditto

Try oiling your changer and cross shafts with Tri-Flow, available at bike shops for about $3, (shake well before using). Just line your case with a lot of newspaper and put the axe in it. Then, using the flexible tube, get the oil all the moving parts of the changer from the bottom. Then lightly, so as not to get oil on the wood, oil the cross shaft ends. Then set up your axe, put newspapers on the floor, and oil the changer from the top. And I wouldn't worry about over oiling the changer. Just keep the oil off the wood. Then play your axe while the penetrant in Tri-Flow degreases your changer as will be evidenced on the newspaper below.

http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Superior_Drip/superior_drip.html

Joe

Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 2:25 pm     wait !

Before you grab the oil can, make sure nothing is binding!? Make sure everything is moving as freely as
it should be?? No parts rubbing or something of that nature! When was it last in regular use or has it been sitting for years?? Are you a newbie? or an old hand with steels? is this your first steel? got a neighbor buddy steel player?