The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Guitar Machine"?
Keith Murrow

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2008 11:28 am    

I don't play six-string guitar, so songwriting and home recording by myself is a challenge. Is there some kind of freestanding "guitar machine" available, similar to drum machines? Something that could be used "real time" as an aid in songwriting (checking chord progression and rhythm ideas to see how they would sound on guitar), and then also be programmed into full songs for home recording?

I have heard that "Band in a Box" type computer programs offer some options along these lines, but I don't know how flexible they are in regard to sounds and rhythm possibilities. I've heard a few people say they sound too "canned". Plus, I don't have a good way to integrate a computer with my current setup.

Or would it be "easier" to learn to play 6-string proficiently?? Yikes...

James Collett

San Dimas, CA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2008 7:31 pm    

Band-I-A-B 2008 has the new feature "Real Instruments"- actual recordings of Pedal Steel, Acc. Guitar, and Drums looped and pieced together much like Halion and BFD(the drums came out on this past year's version). From what I've heard of it, the Acc. Guitar sounds pretty good, but you really can't go wrong with playing real 6-string, just the same as you can't go wrong with really learning how to play piano, steel, etc. They're just great talents to have.

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 5:07 pm    

I don't remember what it's called but there's a program that will strum guitar chords based on how you play your keyboard.

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 6:26 pm    

Gary Shepherd wrote:
I don't remember what it's called but there's a program that will strum guitar chords based on how you play your keyboard.

Probably Steinberg's Virtual Guitarist.

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 7:47 pm    

No, that's a totally different kind of program. Although it might be useful for his purpose. There's an acoustic and and electric version of Virtual Guitarist.

The program I'm referring to actually plays guitar live as you play your keyboard.

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 8:22 pm    

Oberheim used to make a box like a drum machine called the "Strummer"it was MIDI?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Mark Butcher

Scotland
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 9:11 am    

The Yamaha QY series of sequencers may suit you. They are like band in a box but are self contained and sound a lot better. You can write a chord track, a rhythm track and 16 melody tracks. I used to have the flagship QY300 and could write decent demos very quickly. I think they still make the QY100 but you can get the older ones on ebay. If you bother to learn how to use all the features they are the business.

Mark