The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  No More JCH Parts
Tommy Minniear

Logansport, Indiana
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2009 2:55 pm    

Elsie Crawford placed a telephone call to me today. She told me she had spoken with Ron Barndon, the man who bought what remained of the JCH parts after Jimmie Crawford passed and asked that I make this post.
Ron has requested that his number not be passed around and given out as a source for JCH parts anymore. He is not interested in selling any of the remaining parts he does have.
Once again, it is being advised that anyone needing parts remove the part/s that need replacing and take those part/s to a local machinist and have them duplicated. Another solution would be finding compatible parts from another brand of guitar that will work or can be modified to work on a JCH.
Any qualified pedal steel guitar mechanic/repairman/technician can help you find compatible parts or steer you to a machinist that can duplicate the part/s needed.

Chris Lang

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2009 5:21 pm    

Quote:
Ron has requested that his number not be passed around and given out as a source for JCH parts anymore. He is not interested in selling any of the remaining parts he does have.

Well, what kind of stuff is this?? Does Ron plan on piecing together a guitar, or what? If he has just a few parts that would not be enough to build a guitar, then why not sell the parts to fellow forumites so that they may preserve the JCH heritage?

Seems a little selfish to me.............

If a professional player needed a part that I had, I probably give it to him. Just to keep the name of my guitar strong.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2009 6:23 pm     Re: No More JCH Parts

Tommy Minniear wrote:
He is not interested in selling any of the remaining parts he does have.

Sounds kinda bizarre, doesn't it? Perhaps he has a better use for them? Sculpture perhaps?

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2009 7:42 pm    

Maybe he needs the parts for JCHs he plans on acquiring in the future?

They are his parts.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2009 7:54 pm    

That's as good a guess as any.

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2009 9:00 pm     Rest in pieces, JCH parts.

Maybe parts flipping was ultimately found to be empty and unfulfilling.

According to a participant in this thread, the JCH universe comprises about 104 steels.

Jeff Evans

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2009 9:15 pm    

Tony Dingus wrote:
Hey Buddy, you going to pass out picks when the doc [Jimmie] delivers [your JCH]?
Tony

Buddy Emmons wrote:
I may just pass out.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=28614&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2009 1:28 am    

Thanx for the update Tommy as well as your reply to my quest
since posting that i was needing JCH parts, i got a few good replies & pointers, so i had'nt gotten to contact Elsie C yet
(i don't have Ron's contacts)
knowing that parts can be made if needed, i've got a few good connections through the Fo'
as to compatible parts from other brands, i'm sure i'll find what is needed
whatever Ron B chooses to do is his decision, it's on him & i'll respect it

D10003 :

Last edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 13 Sep 2009 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Tommy Minniear

Logansport, Indiana
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2009 5:35 am    

To clarify things a little: Ron has every intention of building a few guitars - that is why he doesn't want to sell parts and come up short handed himself. There are parts that even Ron has had to have made.

At the time of Jimmie's passing he was only stock piling enough parts for the completion of the guitar he was currently building and a guitar or two ahead.

CrowBear, I asked Elsie about your serial number. It seems you have either the third or fourth JCH built. The confusion is due to a couple prototypes that were numbered. Your guitar was built in 1983.

I hope this post explains the parts situation a little better.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2009 4:54 pm    

Someone was making those parts for Jimmie weren't they? Why can't that person make some more just like the originals? I respect Elsie's decision, just curious. I have one of the JCH guitars and I'm trying to keep it original as possible, but I have had to use a few generic parts.

Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2009 5:05 pm    

People are doing this, it's not a big deal. For example, Jim Palenscar fabricated a very nice cross shaft for my EMCI, and I'm sure he could whip up what ever part was needed. Look at what John Coop, Frank Carter, etc., are doing! I've seen the underside of a JCH and it is SWEET. Beautiful plated parts, but certainly not irreplaceable. Get in touch with any good tech or builder and they can probably help you out.

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2009 1:38 pm    

This is usually the case with any vintage steel guitar after many years. You need parts that have to be made. Most older Emmons P/P's have a few parts that have to be milled out from time to time. Just recently Dave Robbins had to make a part for my '66 so I could lower & raise using the same knee lever. Also back about 25 years ago I had my Sho-Bud rebuilt underneath eliminating alot of those cheaply made POT-METAL original parts. I have no problems with a machinist making parts for a pedal steel of mine, especially if it's gonna work better than before.

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2009 4:42 pm    

If either of my JCH's break or have a problem I will call Buck Reid. Bucky did most of the assembly on my newest JCH but Jimmie made the parts as he went along. He never had a stockpile of parts for any guitar. He made what he needed as he needed them. That was Jimmie's way and probably why he never produced more than 4 guitars a year. He was precise but slower than last years Christmas. Bucky knows my guitar better than Jimmie did or as well as.

Jeff Evans

Post  Posted 12 Sep 2009 11:39 pm    

Distinctive looking instrument, Mike. Are there any sound clips of it up anywhere?

Buck Reid

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2009 12:57 pm    

Please don't flame my friend Tommy... I think he is simply relaying messages both from Elsie Crawford and Ron Barnden. I've spoken with Ron and it's my understanding that even though he purchased the remaining JCH inventory, he has no intentions of building any JCH guitars. He is a Luthier and a very good one from what I hear and simply wanted to try his hand building a few pedal steel guitars. What ever he does will have no connection to the JCH name and simply wishes to stop fielding calls related to it. Those who want parts for their JCH guitars will have to have them made or find suitable parts from another manufacturer. This is the end of an era and it's sad but unfortunately, that's the way it is. Sad And yes of course Jimmie had parts made, Rolling Eyes but he used many different companies and it's not as simple as calling them and ordering a few bell cranks. Most CNC operators won't invest the time to set up tooling unless you want ALOT of something. Needless to say, it can be very expensive as well. I hate it too... no more factory JCH parts, but facts is facts.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2009 3:48 pm    

Thanks Buck. I guess we all figured that's the way it was. My guitar is 8 & 4 and I had pretty much decided to keep it that way as a sort of collector. I guess a lot of guys are trying to get their own setups on them instead of keeping them original. It's kind of like collector cars, some like to keep drivin them which is good too. I plan to keep playin mine until someone wants it worse than I do.

Skip Cole

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2009 6:36 pm    

Thanks for this post , i've been emailing a couple of JCH guys to get some info about the JCH steels for a friend of mine. I believe every one of my questions have been answered, thanks.

Skip