The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Alesis Firewire Mixer - HELP
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 8:18 am    

Is anyone here using an Alesis Firewire mixer with their computer, for recording and playback? I finally hooked mine up yesterday, and it records fine, but I can't get any playback through it. I tried it with Powertracks, and with BIAB. In the audio settings, the Alesis is checked as the output device, but it don't put out. I haven't dug into the help files or the book yet, I thought I would start here. HELP
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 9:39 am    

Darvin , I use one with Audition and it works fine.
You may have the 2Tk turned off on the mixer.
I would read the quick setup in the manual before messing with the computer audio settings.
Also check out Alesis web site for driver updates .
There are issues with the driver if you are on the net at the same time as you are using the mixer , I had a few blue screens until i found out what was causing it.
Be careful with the 2TK buttons as ther are two, the right hand side 2tk should be dowd as well as the Mix button. The other 2tk button above the main slider is the one you have to careful with , if it's down while recording the 2tk will be recorded on the track along with everything else.... Read the book

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 12:20 pm    

Aw shucks, I thought I was going to get by without reading the manual, but I guess not. LOL

I updated the drivers yesterday from the Alesis site, I'll check the 2 trk buttons, but I think I've tried every combination possible.

Thanks John.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 12:32 pm    

Just one more thing, is the control room / headphone turned up ?

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 4:18 pm    

I checked all of those things, and they weren't the problem. After a couple of hours of web searching, I decided I may have a conflict with my internal wireless card, or the built in sound card. I'm going to try it on a different computer first, and if it works, I'll try disabling those cards.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 6:45 pm    

I disabled my wireless network card and the mixer works fine. Evidently there was a conflict with the Alesis driver.

James Collett

San Dimas, CA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 9:12 pm    

The wifi card in my PC is a problem for me too. I have an m-audio fastrack pro- won't play anything straight through w/o breaking up when the card's enabled.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2008 6:34 am    

I occasionally had problems with BIAB cutting out during playback using a Tascam US-144 interface, this could have been the cause of that too. I may need to leave the WI-FI disabled permanently.