The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cold Case TV Show Features Degenerate Steel Player
Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 30 Dec 2007 8:51 pm    

As if we didn't have enough image problems, The CBS show "Cold Case"(December30,2007 Show) featured a steelplayer who stole another band member's amp so he could purchase drugs. They actually had quite a few shots of the steel being played, looked like a PP Emmons, could not tell whether it was being played or simulated. Maybe this script got written AFTER the writer's strike...name of the mythical band was the Sugar Boys. It involves the murder of one of the brothers who front the band. Spare me.....
You may be able to see the episode if you go to the Cold Case website.....sometimes they have them up for viewing.

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 30 Dec 2007 9:18 pm     Cold Case Update The Steel Player Did It

Yes the exciting conclusion of this epic. One of the Sugar brothers is murdered and they are three or four suspects. At the end of the tv show it turns out that a prospective contract is offered if the band will clean up and get rid of the steel guitar and fiddle to become more pop. The singer(soon to be murdered Sugar Brother) refuses the deal and says he will always play the music he heard in his mamas kitchen. Then the steel player(against all logic) agrees with this "pop" idea and tries to pressure the brother into accepting it; when he refuses he shoots him... now why would you want to be in a pop band if they werent even going to use a steel?. It truly makes no sense...

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2007 9:39 pm    

I watched this tonight; I'm not sure why. Besides the observations above, I was also bothered by all the Southern stereotypes (the first person they meet at the Nashville police station is a woman named 'Charlene' who just sweet-talks everyone with her darling southern accent and invites them to come to their local barbecue joint to 'unwind'. The chief detective in Nashville is known by everyone as 'Big Daddy'. Gee, if they had put this in Texas, they coulda called him 'Bubba', right?). The Sugar Boys drive up to Philadelphia for the first time and the lead singer's wife decides that what he really wants i his life is a 'Northern girl'. (And apparently he figured this out after meeting one 'Northern' singer onstage. Oh, gimme a break. Pu-leeze!)

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2007 9:45 pm    

I'm telling you guys. Its purposeful cultural genocide. Need any more proof. Its real.

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2007 9:57 pm    

Our forum brother, Josh Grange, has a connection with this one:

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum15/HTML/013844.html

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 30 Dec 2007 9:59 pm     Sorry For the Repeat Topic

Thanks for the assist Jim, I must admit at times I just quit watching after they had used every hackneyed expression in the country lexicon. The goobers who portrayed the band should have their SAG cards pulled. Do people really think that is what defines country music?...sadly I think yes...And by the way I had no idea that this was a rerun....sorry for the repeat topic....

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2007 10:24 pm    

Quote:
Its purposeful cultural genocide. Need any more proof. Its real.

Yep, that's proof alright. Until recently they never stereotyped or ridiculed southerners on TV (except for maybe: Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, and, many many other shows).

Kevin, I gotta say if the "powers that be" are somehow conspiring to kill southern culture, they've sure done a lousy job with NASCAR, one of the fastest growing trends/attractions of recent times...

Surprised

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2007 10:39 pm    

Glad I missed it. I do hope that they showed that we at least wear shoes down here now and, nobody is married to their cousin. Whoa! This is why I don't watch much t,v.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2007 11:21 pm    

I'm talking about country music Pete and the southern culture it represents. Last time I checked Green Acres wasn't being associated with murder for culture. Fortunately NASCAR isn't controlled by New York and Hollywood. They can't get ahold of it. Seen any real country music on T.V. lately?

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 5:38 am    

I thought it strange that they had to get rid of the bass player because 'he didn't have the chops' and they wanted to get rid of the steel but keep the steel player. What were they planning to do with him? That sure was a pretty Emmons.

John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 6:28 am    

I take it the writers are still on strike. That episode really sucked.

I doubt that a Horse Freak could play steel or anything else.

I would have booted Charlenes dizzy @$$ out of the hotel room and invited the detctive in.

He should have hocked the loafer IMHO.
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 6:46 am    

Funny thing all our Northeastern Ivy-league educated presidential candidates (AND Presidents) run around pretending to be rednecks, out shootin' woodchucks and gettin' down at NASCAR races... Yee-Haw, vote fur meee...

In these PC days, it's hard to find anybody except white males to (safely) make fun of, so Hollywood has hit on a strategy of dumb, fat, loud white males being hoodwinked & outsmarted by sassy women, adorably brilliant children and even housepets & woodchucks - their dramas and sitcoms seem to have no reference to my life whatsoever. If they were either dramatic, or funny, it'd be one thing, but I'd rather play my guitar, alphabetize my pick collection, count my nosehairs, just about anything else than watch - there's going to be entire generations of Americans warehoused in nursing homes soon, saying "Well, at least I got really good at watching TV...."

Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 7:01 am     tv.

I'm With You Mike. SONNY.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 9:20 am    

I aqree David. Good observation.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 9:54 am    

It could have been much worse as they could have shown shots of a guy playing a piano,kinda like the do on GOO these days.

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 11:01 am     To Howard

Howard, That is what was driving me crazy as far as the plot goes: The steel player was going to lose his job if the lady had her way and poppified the band. So was he goin to play another instrument?. Didn't he realize that he was losing his job if her plans came to fruition. Which brings us as to why would he shoot the guy for a big bucks job where he wouldn't be needed? No wonder the writers are on strike after a non sequitor like that one....Peter

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 11:08 am     Re: To Howard

Peter Dollard wrote:
Didn't he realize that he was losing his job if her plans came to fruition. Which brings us as to why would he shoot the guy for a big bucks job where he wouldn't be needed?

The only thing I could think of at the time was that he cared more about getting money than being employed and figured that by the singer getting a good paying job, he could get some money from him, even if he didn't play steel. Alternatively, maybe that's why they made him a drug-addict, i.e., someone not expected to make rational decisions anyway. Confused

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 11:22 am    

Yeah..

They better be careful with that cultural genercide..

Even when we're on probation.

WE VOTE!

Surprised

EJL

Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 1:39 pm    

I watched last night. Despite the plot weakness and stereotypes, it was worth watching. Where else are you going to hear and see some very nice steel on a detective show. Here is "Counting Your Lucky Stars"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va4LKM0q6EA

FYI: The steel player in this clip is the character in Edi Low's band not "Dusty the herion addtict" with the Sugar Boys who opened up for Edi Low (sounds like a James Bond character). I'll see if I can find a clip with "Dusty".

Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 1:56 pm    

Quote:
Do people really think that is what defines country music?...sadly I think yes...

I'd be more worried about the stuff on GAC and CMT.
THATS what most people think country music is about and its beyond HORRIBLE.

as for stereotyping the south, if its not all mint julips and Daisy Duke shorts like I see on tv then i want no part of it.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 3:07 pm    

after listening to the clip again, it sounds like he's getting the jerry garcia pitch and tone...and out of an emmons!

Colm Chomicky

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 3:51 pm    

Why would anybody be critical of another steel player who is possibly on this forum, has friends on this forum, and bash Jerry Garcia all in one sentence? Least that's how I read it.

I would say if you can be very specific on something that you find not to your taste such as intonation, technique, amplification issues, etc. that is fine. If you can express a constructive opinion of what the exact offense might be and suggest a pointer that certainly is acceptable after all this is an open forum. But, to just offer some sweeping comparison to Jerry Garcia and inferring that the Emmons does not even help is a weak communication technique.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 5:08 pm    

geez colm, you're certainly uptight and defensive. i happen to like jerry garcia and the clip reminded me of him!

Colm Chomicky

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 6:32 pm    

You're right, my mistake. Let my post stand as to what a horse's ass I can be sometimes. What a way to start of the New Year. I owe you a beer or two.

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 7:06 pm    

I like Jerry Garcia too, can I have a beer? Very Happy