The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help Assigning Channels Cool Edit Pro
Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2007 6:15 pm    

I hope one of you guys can help clarify something for me. I have an old version of Cool Edit Pro and I am using a 16 channel board with an 8 in 8 out interface. The default when assigning tracks for input is stereo tracks. I can assign 1L 2L 3L 4L and 1R 2R 3R 4R so I have 8 separate tracks going in. However the output doesn't seem to be able to assign tracks separately that way. The options are 4 stereo tracks I can't assign the 8 tracks separately. Is the limitation in my software or ?
Any help will be appreciated.

Jay Fagerlie

Lotus, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 8:14 am    

Ron,
I don't know if this is really a limitation at all. The default for input is what you set it to, you can make it mono in by selecting 1L, 3R, etc. When assigning these mono tracks for output, use the mixers pan to set in the stereo field, not the cool edit pan.
If you set the input to stereo and record in stereo tracks (something I never do-if there is a 'stereo' track I use dual mono)then the resulting dilemma of stereo track to two channels without the normal pan control happens. I stay away from that.
So-if you have a mono track going out to a stereo pair, you can use the mixers pan to set the stereo placement....not an issue at all. Think of each output pair as a sub group, one for drums, one for guitar, etc.
Does this make sense?
Jay

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 10:19 am     Thanx Jay

That does work. I panned to one side for one track and panned the other way for the other side. I was doing that on my board but this is way better. Now I can use all 8 tracks separately.

Thanx again this makes sense. Very Happy