The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  WTB : S-10 pedal steel guitar
Frode Bjoernstad

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2004 12:42 am    

Thinking of trading in my Carter starter s-10 for a upgrade or a vintage fender, msa, sho bud, Emmons or similar .. I guess 3 pedals and 1knee lever is enough for me. Do you have any thoughts on what I shoud buy? PSG is not my main instrument, and I guess I will never be a pro at this instrument. I think the fender 400/800 looks quite charming, and I am very fond of all Fender products. I just want S-10 with E9th tuning ( 8 or 10 strings). No double's.. I think it would feel better to have a vintage basic, but well made steel than dragging the Carter out on the road in it's poor gigbag. I have about $1000 to spend, and that is with shipping to Norway. But its still probably cheaper for me to buy from US than try to find one her in Scandinavia. A carter starter cost 12000 norwegian kroner new here ($1714), and as psg are increasing in popularity here and prices have also gone up for used ones ( if you can locate one). I have seen several Fender steel on ebay , but I would feel a lot more confident buying it from a pedal steel player like you guys..
Please email me or reply if you have a extra steel in my pricerange..
Frode

GARYPHILLIPS

SOMERSET, OHIO ,PERRY
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2004 5:51 am    

Hey Frode, check out the new Desert Rose Steel Guitar . www.desertroseguitars.com
Thanks Gary

Bill Brown

Canadian, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2004 9:30 am    

hello i have several fender 400-800 these guitars are not junk they are in excllent cond call me at 1 918 424 2798 7am-8pm or 1 918 339 2898 after that

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2004 12:00 pm    

I would find a case for the guitar you have. It can be a shotgun case with some foam in it or all sorts of other boxes. Save your money until you can spent a few more bucks on a great steel. The Carter starter should work fine for the time being. Bill's guitars might be a good deal but the Fenders I have had students bring in that came off Ebay were unplayable. The Starter is actually a more versital instrument than the old Fenders and sounds pretty good. But if you are into that vintage Sneaky Pete Fender sound the Fenders might be worth the trouble.

If I was looking for an S10 under $1000 I would look for a used MCI or MSA. There was just a beautiful S10 sho-bud on buy and sell for $1200.

Bob

Bill Brown

Canadian, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2004 3:41 pm    

hi bob let me tell you that my fenders are as mint as you could ask with cases most still have the owners manuals one still has the hangdown ear tags on it never been played

Frode Bjoernstad

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2004 1:00 am    

Hi!
Thanks for good advices.. Keep em coming!
I know that the Carter is a fine instrument, but I am kinda of into vintage stuff, and i love fender products, so I guess I cant go wrong with them.. I am not after that modern Nashville psg sound (like it too though) , but I play in americana rock band with references like Flying Burrito and whiskeytown.. I play 50/50 steel and telecaster on our shows, and I have the six string/Bottleneck/lapsteel route to pedal steel, so I don't need to be having a ocean of possibilties with a psg, I just like to throw in a little pedal-action here and there, but I am gonna try to use it more and more, and I feel that the Carter does not have that certain edge ot the sound that I am looking for + I have never used the knee levers much at all. I have enough to think about with the 10 strings.. I should mention that I am pretty new to psg.
I guess it have something to do that the Fender's look real cool too..(!)
Check your mail Bill!
Frode

[This message was edited by Frode Bjoernstad on 18 June 2004 at 02:13 AM.]

Frode Bjoernstad

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2004 8:47 am    

My Carter has now been sold locally, and I am still looking for a nice steel.. Fender 400 or 800 would be great, but emmons or msa semiclassic S-10 would also be great ! I think shipping to Norway is around $200-$250 So I have $800 to spend.. Anyone?
Frode

Ted Nesbitt

Northern Ireland
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2004 1:49 am    

Frode,I have an Emmons Le Grande 3 x 4 with pad for sale. Black mica finish. Shipping from Ireland would be much cheaper than shipping from USA. You can contact me at
tednesbitt@rainbowmusic.freeserve.co.uk
Check out the photos of the Emmons on my website. http://mysite.freeserve.com/RainbowmusicIreland
or click on links at top of page,click on steel guitar vendors,Rainbow Music Ireland

Ted Nesbitt

Frode Bjoernstad

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2004 10:57 pm    

I found my pedal steel at www.sidestreetsteel.com . Dan is real nice guy, and made me a great offer for a MSA Semi-classic.
Great guy, great service and a great steel..
This topic can be closed
Frode